Rep farming

Willy Nilly

28 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

and 3 hours, 57 minutes and 34 seconds

You are already out of date. :whistle:

Why all this interest in my (exact) seniority?

I am already feeling old enough :w00t:, I don't need a timer to remind me how much. :no:

jaclaz

re: Rep Farming -

We may be under-thinking it.  The Invision FAQ ( https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/member-functions/reputation-and-reactions-r171/ ) specifically states that "other metrics" are used to establish the "rep" that this thread is discussing.

I for one have no clue what those "other metrics" are (can't say as I really care, to be perfectly honest).

But in an attempt to think outside-the-box, I think it is probably safe to assume that different scenarios carry a different weight within the formula being used to calculate the "rep".

I guess the only example I can think of is Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo referrer strings (the "average Joe" doesn't take the time or have the know-how to block them).

I would suspect that if various search engine searches are directly responsible for bringing new members to MSFN, then the post or thread that the search engine directed to here has a higher "weight" then a small handful of folks "liking" several dozen posts every day.

But now I may be over-thinking it.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

re: Rep Farming -

We may be under-thinking it.  The Invision FAQ ( https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/member-functions/reputation-and-reactions-r171/ ) specifically states that "other metrics" are used to establish the "rep" that this thread is discussing.

I think you quote from "The new Leaderboard is designed to better highlight your most active members and content based on reputation and other metrics." but that doesn't say rep is based on other metrics.

The metrics for active members in their screenshot are "most reputation", "most content", "most status updates". No one would think high post count means the poster is more knowledgeable so things other than rep aren't a problem.

Maybe for top content they include search engine rankings too but not for members.

My friend says the front page ranking here comes only from the rep that people give by liking posts.

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

You tore it out of context,it was another reply to another user *who wrote "we had" in his original post*, so I answered in the same idiotic manner,

using the crappy "we" to make the emphasis on how crappy it sounds. Which again, proves what I said earlier, because

you didn't even notice that emphasis and proceeded as usual.

But hey, then again, it's what communists usually do, they just tear out of context to accuse.

Oh, and thanks for being honest, at least you didn't deny that you stick your nose into someone else's business.

I couldn't be sure before so thanks for clarifying what your manner of talking is.

You addressed me with my tag so I didn't take anything out of context. If you have a problem with another user don't point it at me.

I didn't deny that because I'm literally representing someone else here about somthing I know bothers them but they wouldn't bring it up on their own because of their personality. They don't have a problem with me doing this for them.

Go ahead and iist some more nonsense that I'm not going to bother to deny point by point, that'll make it all true.

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

What's my problem with you ? I'm an MSFN defender, you see , the other ones are just too soft on the ones like you.

So I'm here to defend MSFN from all types of attacks one could ever imagine, including yours. 

We aren't in ChinoRussia, we don't need to earn or fight for likes for food, lol. We just so don't care.

Leave us alone, they gave you a very polite hint in the beginning of the topic.

:buehehe: Doesn't "MSFN defender" mean wannabe moderator? It sounds ChinoRussian the way they always claim they're defending when they attack.

This place would be in bad shape if hogwash was needed for its defense. Fortunately you're using the Communist "we" again so maybe that's not really so.

If you think pointing out rep farming is attacking MSFN you have a very interesting image of this forum.

Obviously most people here don't farm rep but the shoe seems to fit you based on the nervous name calling and trying to make it look like you're the majority.

What you didn't even notice was that I'd already finished talking and even apologized for where I was wrong when you started talking nonsense to make this personal.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

referrer strings (the "average Joe" doesn't take the time or have the know-how to block them).

The chrome extension called 

No More Referrer 0.1.2

No longer send referrer to any server... is ON always here...

I am a member of MSFN since 2010. The "reputation" system and the "leaderboard" used to have more of a purpose, but are now meaningless or moreover worthless. It has been and is still being reduced to absurdity and shot into insignificance through meaningless voting or the new game I call "rep scoring", among other things. There is a troop of members here who have finally dealt a death blow to this voting system. In any case, I would suggest that the word "reputation" should be replaced by "number of votes". ssupercool2.gif So that new members here don't think that certain people have an insane amount of knowledge, even though that's not the case. Anyway! I would be lying if I said I was no longer interested in voting in general. I am still interested in voting for real, meaningful, technical contents. :yes: Unfortunately, every nonsense is voted for in this forum as well as in this thread, but real content that has been painstakingly created often hardly gets any attention. There is an excellent saying in the German language that perfectly describes the number of daily posts of some members: "Quantität ist nicht gleich Qualität!". Translated: "Quantity is not equal to quality!" or "Quantity does not mean quality!". ssupercool2.gif And as for MSFN, it seems no longer to be a technical forum but by definition a communication platform according to the administrators, as I unfortunately had to learn some months ago. A communication platform! Like the social media platforms! nonono.gif :thumbdown That is very regrettable. :(

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

5 hours ago, Willy Nilly said:

I'm literally representing someone else here about somthing

As a legal counselor ?

I'd already finished talking and even apologized

I know that type of people who would apologize and then stab you in the back.

rep from circular repping

One hell of a weird language.

Doesn't "MSFN defender" mean wannabe moderator?

No, as I already wrote, I'm not willing to be a moderator. If you're interested, search for that recent topic

about moderators . I wrote, I'd maybe agree for at least 4-5 thousands of Euro per month.

It sounds ChinoRussian the way they always claim they're defending when they attack.

This is a good one from you, I like it ! See ? I'm being fair . 

But it seems you're weirdly persistent with your agenda. 

So why hide, write what your agenda really is.

using the Communist "we" again so maybe that's not really so

In this case "we" was necessary 'cause you touched some gentle people from the generic discussion,

who may be too polite and shy, also have problems in their life and you're angry with them for the likes.

Are you for real ?? Why did you hurt them !?!?

Well, if you want me to be fair and honest (like I tend to be me most of the time),

what do you want in the end ? You want a clean techno forum ? Well, then get back to 1999 !

The folks have changed. You do understand that, don't you ?

There may be only a dozen of real techno users left throughout the whole internet !

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

The folks have changed.

Yes I prefer personnally to have the "off-topics" from time to time... well, moderators may not agree with me, but this seems to me more alive, the topics are more interesting... more alive! I don't mind the off-topics, I mean.

And it's cool to be able to say by the likes, that I like the response of my interlocutor. I like the likes.

Edited by msfntor

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

In this case "we" was necessary 'cause you touched some gentle people from the generic discussion,

who may be too polite and shy, also have problems in their life and you're angry with them for the likes.

Are you for real ?? Why did you hurt them !?!?

Well, if you want me to be fair and honest (like I tend to be me most of the time),

what do you want in the end ? You want a clean techno forum ? Well, then get back to 1999 !

The folks have changed. You do understand that, don't you ?

There may be only a dozen of real techno users left throughout the whole internet !

Oh, so "we"'re no longer speaking for the entire MSFN, are "we"? That was fast.

Now "we"'re just doing more drama, "public shaming" and pretending that I didn't already say what I want or more importantly what my friend would like to see.

It's totally your fiction that me and my friend are "angry" with these people or don't have enough empathy or want whatever your clean techno forum is supposed to mean.

I've seen no one saying that people can't talk and support each other through life problems here but it makes no sense to gut the rep system in the process.

Anything they can "say" with giving rep they can say with words during their chatting.

The reason those boards are called general discussion is because they're peripheral to what this forum is about. There's so much social media everywhere and it's a waste to turn this board into that too.

If rep from this periphery overwhelms rep for merit from all technical boards, something is seriously wrong with the system.

If these people deliberatly seek to overwhelm the rest of the board in this way then they're not as gentle as you say because then it's like a coup.

If it's not deliberate but they honestly think they're entitled to many times more rep than people like @Humming Owl or @NotHereToPlayGames or @roytam1 and many others who do very importand work here for free then I think something is wrong with their value system. I just mentioned some names my friend gave me as examples and there are many others.

If they don't think they're entitled to more rep than those people then they can at least stop giving it to each other for saying the sky is blue.

You do understand that, don't you?

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

No, as I already wrote, I'm not willing to be a moderator. If you're interested, search for that recent topic

about moderators . I wrote, I'd maybe agree for at least 4-5 thousands of Euro per month.

It's very magnanimous that you're not willing to be a moderator when no one is willing to make you one. I know you didn't miss the point of "wannabe moderator".

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I know that type of people who would apologize and then stab you in the back.

I can't wait to hear details about how I would stab the mods in the back after apologizing for making impossible demands.

You can get extra points if you can do it without name calling and buzzwords like agenda or Communism or ChinoRussia.

@AstroSkipper

Well said!

18 hours ago, Willy Nilly said:

@UCyborg

When did this become about migrating forum software?

I just thought it'd be interesting to read about alternatives.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm not too sure about that.  Once you hang around a forum long enough, you know who is helpful and who is here just for "attention", for "look at me", for "I'm always right and I'm here to prove it to the world", et cetera.

When I first joined, I certainly didn't look at that "rep number" to gauge how accurate or helpful replies to any questions were (or were not).

And those that don't hang around long enough to witness just who among us is helpful and who among us is not, how can we assume that short-term visitor was gauging anything whatsoever by any "rep number".

And it just shows who/what's popular at that particular point in time. Guess you can look back, but I don't know, doesn't seem like the intuitive way to search for topics of interest.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Granted, I so heavily custom-style-sheet this forum that I haven't seen a "rep number" in over two years.  :cool:

You inspired me to look into the CSS of the "Popular Contributors" leaderboard on the main page and came up with:

li.ipsWidget_vertical[data-blocktitle="Popular Contributors"] {
  display: none;
}

Turn off reactions display/reaction button display in posts:

.ipsReact {
  display: none;
}

"!important" may be added next to "none", may prevent the display of the element in the future if it ever gets other value for display property with an update and there's no other breaking change.

Edited by UCyborg