Rep farming

Willy Nilly

Rep doesn't mean anything, so it doesn't matter if people are farming rep or not.

The reason it is here is because it is on by default from the forum software. It is not worth the effort to turn it off, since (as stated) it doesn't mean anything.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:31 AM, Dave-H said:

I assume you mean people artificially bumping up their reputation points?
Do you have an example of this?
Welcome to MSFN BTW!
:)

Thanks Dave I joined to represent my friend who's too aspie to raise "trouble" in public when something upsets them.

This is mainly under General Discussion, it's hard to miss if you look.

My friend says the ones doing this aren't bad people, but they give so much rep in their chat circles that it's unfair to those who develop and help with technical issues.

They say if you compare the leaderboard to some time ago it's very obvious that these days active chatters are on the top and their scores are many times higher compared to developers and solution people.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, Tripredacus said:

Rep doesn't mean anything, so it doesn't matter if people are farming rep or not.

The reason it is here is because it is on by default from the forum software. It is not worth the effort to turn it off, since (as stated) it doesn't mean anything.

That's fair if we assume rep is popularity.

Here we have a technical forum so people assume lots of rep means knowledgeable person and you can trust their information more.

You're a veteran here so you know who people are regardless of rep but consider this for example.

When a newbie comes in and gets tips from one of these high social rep people, they'll assume it's good advice and try it. They can waste a lot of time and run into problems with that "help", because these people's rep is not based on knowledge.

Many specialized forums have rep disabled on social boards to avoid these sorts of problems. Turning off all rep would be too much because then there's no indication of people's usefulness.

8 hours ago, Willy Nilly said:

This is mainly under General Discussion, it's hard to miss if you look.

Agreed.  That has been a big nuisance of late.

But I am also reminded of a year or so ago when we had "two" forum members that always liked each other's posts, no matter how "useful" or unuseful the posts actually were.

It was rumored that the "two" forum members was actually only ONE PERSON "liking" their own posts just for the sake of that USELESS "reputation".

To the point of even "yelling at" OTHER forum members for not "liking" their posts when this "person" liked any other forum member's posts.

It's a "generation thing", I suspect.  I have no interest in "social media" web sites but MOST of them all "thrive" on the "like" button and how many "followers" the user is able to "collect".

So yes, unfortunate, but we have members here at this forum that carry that "Instagram", "Twitter", "Facebook", et cetera "look at me, I have 2000 followers" mentality herein and falsely think it "means something".

@Tripredacus

I apologize for loudly making impossible demands.

I did some research and found out that Invision boards don't have per forum settings for reputation and there are no plugins for newer versions that can add this.

I had no idea this board software sucked so bad. Kudos to you for doing hard work under stupid limitations.

I don't have any more ideas for solving this problem because disabling all rep would be overkill. If you can think of something I know my friend would appreciate it very much.

2 hours ago, Willy Nilly said:

because disabling all rep would be overkill

I'm not too sure about that.  Once you hang around a forum long enough, you know who is helpful and who is here just for "attention", for "look at me", for "I'm always right and I'm here to prove it to the world", et cetera.

When I first joined, I certainly didn't look at that "rep number" to gauge how accurate or helpful replies to any questions were (or were not).

And those that don't hang around long enough to witness just who among us is helpful and who among us is not, how can we assume that short-term visitor was gauging anything whatsoever by any "rep number".

Granted, I so heavily custom-style-sheet this forum that I haven't seen a "rep number" in over two years.  :cool:

edit - I wonder if a "solution" to the high-frequency posters (which seems is what this thread is mainly discussing [I for one "dislike" visiting the "unread" or "active" link and have to scroll through all of the "clutter"], I wonder if just limiting the number of posts that members can do within an hour or day is the "solution"?  I mean, I know I often post "often", but the "clutter" threads are on a whole different "level".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

16 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

It used to be very good, but has gotten worse over time. And bloated along the way, reminds me of a certain operating system. :whistle:

And - just for the record - at each and every update/new version the good guys managed to bork either links or contents of CODE tags (or both).

jaclaz

On 11/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, Tripredacus said:

<OT>
Hello and nice day, @Tripredacus and hope you are well.

I was wondering if its easy to "merge" threads on here, and if so, would you desire to merge the thread

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183764-“be-mindful-be-grateful-be-positive-be-true-be-kind”/

into the thread

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182193-the-msfn-café-a-penny-for-your-thoughts/

Having two similar (off-topic chat) threads may cause more confusion here to some; but members, please know that postings in the funny farm don't count towards ones post count. I think we only need the msfn-café.

If not, perhaps closing the first thread might be best as it seems at times like we're 'all over the place' with off-topic.

Just a request and otherwise, not issues or problems.

Take care :)

<OT>

Edited by XPerceniol

22 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

<OT>
Hello and nice day, @Tripredacus and hope you are well.

I was wondering if its easy to "merge" threads on here, and if so, would you desire to merge the thread

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183764-“be-mindful-be-grateful-be-positive-be-true-be-kind”/

into the thread

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182193-the-msfn-café-a-penny-for-your-thoughts/

Having two similar (off-topic chat) threads may cause more confusion here to some; but members, please know that postings in the funny farm don't count towards ones post count. I think we only need the msfn-café.

If not, perhaps closing the first thread might be best as it seems at times like we're 'all over the place' with off-topic.

Just a request and otherwise, not issues or problems.

Take care :)

<OT>

Yes there is an easy way but there is not reason to do it. Better would be to lock one or the other (or both) :P

36 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

...Better would be to lock one or the other (or both) :P

spacer.png

I understand, was more thinking it was adding more work for the staff here. So long as you're cool with them, people really poured their hearts in them and I'd hate to lose them. :)

On 11/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

....forum members was actually only ONE PERSON "liking" their own posts just for the sake of that USELESS "reputation".

Thanks for clarifying, at least now we know how you (with your 2 year account) got a reputation 

that goes hand in hand with the 20 y.o. old *guru account* of jaclaz.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:11 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Granted, I so heavily custom-style-sheet this forum that I haven't seen a "rep number" in over two years. 

But wait, how do you know that if you "switched off" the viewing of likes ? LOL.

No further comments needed.