ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2022 rebuild 3

45 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

BTW, searching "BSOD" keyword on the forum, noticed how often it pop ups on XP sub-forum specifically or other topics where XP is involved?

The only BSODs I have had were caused by the 360Chrome browsers in conjunction with WiseVector StopX. Otherwise, I haven't had a single BSOD in years. Nevertheless, I am not at all surprised that most comments about BSODs in MSFN are found in connection with Windows XP which is the most modified and patched OS ever, full of ported and forked software. Just think of all existing system patches, the experiments with the ACPI.sys file, modified drivers and so on. :rolleyes: Anyway! I used the 360Chrome browsers with rebased chrome.dll intensively the last weeks, without any further BSODs in my system. :thumbup But one thing is crystal clear. The 360Chrome Browsers v13.5 have a Chromium engine 86 which was actually never meant to run on Windows XP. Therefore, BSODs do not really surprise me. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

33 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

The 360Chrome Browsers v13.5 have a Chromium engine 86 which was actually never meant to run on Windows XP. Therefore, BSODs do not really surprise me.

I don't think that's really an issue/a reason of why BSODs are to be expected when using 360Chrome.

3 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I don't think that's really an issue/a reason of why BSODs are to be expected when using 360Chrome.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The only BSODs I have had were caused by the 360Chrome browsers in conjunction with WiseVector StopX. Otherwise, I haven't had a single BSOD in years. Nevertheless, I am not at all surprised that most comments about BSODs in MSFN are found in connection with Windows XP which is the most modified and patched OS ever, full of ported and forked software. Just think of all existing system patches, the experiments with the ACPI.sys file, modified drivers and so on. :rolleyes: Anyway! I used the 360Chrome browsers with rebased chrome.dll intensively the last weeks, without any further BSODs in my system. :thumbup But one thing is crystal clear. The 360Chrome Browsers v13.5 have a Chromium engine 86 which was actually never meant to run on Windows XP. Therefore, BSODs do not really surprise me. smilie_denk_24.gif

Say don't talk about BSOD, they talk about BSOD anyways !

You all born under the sign of Taurus or smth ?

The usual set of users, again.

In that case, care to talk about the weather, maybe ?

Talking about BSODs possibly being caused specifically by the 360Chrome browser is perfectly valid here, as I said.
What is off-topic is extensive general conversation about BSODs and their causes, unless it directly relates to the browser.
:)

My hunch was that the BSODs were caused by pushing the envelope on RAM consumption.

Before we rebased, it was not uncommon for 360Chrome v13/v13.5 to consume 90+% of my RAM on my 4 GB RAM XP x86 (but no BSODs) whenever I opened half a dozen tabs or so.

But I've yet to ever see even 50% of RAM being used now that it's been rebased (still dislike the very very long launch time for first launch after system hibernate but have decided to accept as-is).

That being the case (chrome was not meant for NT5.1) I've not had this BSOD with 360 V11 or 13 or 13.5. Not ever because I don't use hardware acceleration (gpu / wasm / webgl), this computer is way past its prime and the other Dell Dimension 3000 is not even usable at all with anything anymore unless I'm in no hurry. I'm just grateful it is still working at all and I don't want new things ... including my clothing as I prefer used goodwill clothing and shoes that have already been 'broken in'.

Edited by XPerceniol

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not necessarily.  There are some weather sites that have radar and maps that require WebGL, which I disable by default in my releases.

So yes, weather questions are allowed as some users may not know how to enable WebGL.

:roll1:

Ok! So if users can't get the current weather forecast in 360 Chrome and don't know how to get these sites to work in this browser, do not hesitate to ask our weatherman @NotHereToPlayGames. He will get the necessary information for you. :rolleyes: :buehehe:

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Ok! So if users can't get the current weather forecast in 360 Chrome and don't know how to get these sites to work in this browser, do not hesitate to ask our weatherman @NotHereToPlayGames. He will get the necessary information for you. :rolleyes: :buehehe:

In that case BIOS and BIOS updates could also be 100% relevant, simply because 360 Chrome uses GetOEMCP to read its data. This a huge chance of BSOD,

esp. on older PCs , hence that Access Violation. We can all go a very long way. And I didn't even start yet.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winnls/nf-winnls-getoemcp