ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2022 rebuild 3

thank you to @notheretoplaygames for this wonderfull project! without you we would be stuck with google spying and telemetry once I finally get my computer together I might use this as my new browser keep up the good work!

Edited by legacyfan

On 11/25/2022 at 12:23 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Download link (base version is the "ungoogled" version, instructions provided to convert to "regular" version in following posts) -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuxzyehctard5aa/360ChromePortable_13.5.2022_rebuild_2_ungoogled_MSFN.zip?dl=1
Last updated: Fri, Nov 25, 2022 @ 8:05AM EST

Well, sorry to be telling this, but it does not seem to be neither portable nor free of some "spying" features.

First, when I start it from different drive on different system - it loses all cookies (=all settings and registration on sites). And when I move it back again - the same, it loses all new and does not find old ones.

Second, I have a "cold storage" drive in my system, which is almost all the time in "sleep" mode. When I start this browser - it wakes up that drive. What for? None of other browsers neither other SW I use does not do so. Very strange behaviour.

3 hours ago, XP4ever said:

Well, sorry to be telling this, but it does not seem to be neither portable nor free of some "spying" features.

First, when I start it from different drive on different system - it loses all cookies (=all settings and registration on sites). And when I move it back again - the same, it loses all new and does not find old ones.

Second, I have a "cold storage" drive in my system, which is almost all the time in "sleep" mode. When I start this browser - it wakes up that drive. What for? None of other browsers neither other SW I use does not do so. Very strange behaviour.

Wow ! Just wow ! It's to scan your data on the disk and then send it to the russians, obviously !

I'm so glad I stayed away from this browser version and my data didn't leak.

Like I knew something bad was going to happen.  I just checked on another spare computer with a cold 

storage and it does the same for me ! The PC is offline, of course.

Many thanks for your warnings and greetings from Vichy.

360chrome is portable as in : it removes regedit entry's when closed.
and all data is retained in the 360chrome folder.
encrypted data ( passwords and such ) are not "portable" from one pc to another. 
that is a chrome / windows security "feature".
some reading : https://portableapps.com/node/21266

as for chrome waking sleep drives :
more reading : https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=68655
old chromium bug could still be present.
no data is send anywhere and no unwanted connections are made.

3 hours ago, rereser said:

encrypted data ( passwords and such ) are not "portable" from one pc to another. 

Thank you very much @rereser, for your calming news...so all is good, normal.

14 hours ago, legacyfan said:

thank you to @notheretoplaygames for this wonderfull project! without you we would be stuck with google spying and telemetry once I finally get my computer together I might use this as my new browser keep up the good work!

@legacyfan - and @rereser, too bad I can't give you a second and third like...

Edited by msfntor

A truly portable program would not write anything on its own in the registry in the first place, though. And naturally, it's expected you can put a portable program on a USB flash stick, launch it on any computer while retaining all user data.

5 hours ago, rereser said:

Thank you so much for your news, I feel relaxed now.

55 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

A truly portable program would not write anything on its own in the registry in the first place, though. And naturally, it's expected you can put a portable program on a USB flash stick, launch it on any computer while retaining all user data.

Yep! You're absolutely right! Unfortunately, the 360Chrome browsers have never been truely portable and 360Chrome v13.5 build 2022, either. Therefore, the designation 360ChromePortable_13.5.2022_rebuild_3_ungoogled_MSFN.zip is rather a little misleading. smilie_denk_24.gif

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Nicely said ! Unfortunately it seems impossible to get here since it's still based on the old russian sterter app that simply removes the registry entries and does nothing to prevent them in the first places.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Not really. Portability has nothing to do with leftovers that are not affecting the functionality.

The first one is called "standalone".

The portable is the second one.

6 hours ago, rereser said:

The word "portable" is then misleading: that is STANDALONE installation.

And it has nothing to do with "windows security "feature"", since all really portable browser installations (such as old firefox and opera) do not have this pervert "security feature". Though it may leave registy entry, for instanse, if you assign it as default browser.

6 hours ago, rereser said:

Very strange reaction from developers: it is difficult to reproduce, really?:huh:

And then just silently closed as "obsolete", huh... looks more like intentional "feature", and very few people actually care... No, really: how many users do actually care about botnet on their PCs, if it does not overheat the CPU more, then antivirus-spyguard-blah-blah-security-feature, that reports nothing?

Edited by XP4ever

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

herefore, the designation 360ChromePortable_13.5.2022_rebuild_3_ungoogled_MSFN.zip is rather a little misleading.

Absolutely agree ! Besides, he got the knowledge about this "ungoogled" version and the explanations about removing the Chinese DNS from another MSFN user @Dixel,

whom he didn't even mention here, which is considered not polite here, at MSFN. My hunch is in this new version the chinese/russians changed lots of things and this is 

why it became even more unsafe and without Dixel the creator of this repack doesn't know how to properly remove them. Again, my opinion.

Good someone else confirmed this, otherwise some would say I'm "trolling" again.

So in short , new version , new telemetry locations which he doesn't know where to look at. Hence the spinning disks, cookies, etc.