ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2022 rebuild 3

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

DDR2 and Win 10 

Looks like a joke or an error . When I bought one of my Vista PCs in 2009 it came with DDR3 already.

At it was not an ultra gaming PC. Absolutely not.

Do you and the others started to think what's next ? Maybe start do dig another newer browser for XP ?

10 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Is this considered to be normal for chinese made browsers produced in 2020 to consume almost 1gig of RAM with 1 empty page ?

Either of you ever wondered what's inside ? Maybe debug ? I mean , @AstroSkipper is right - this is not normal, and I think he was the first who noticed.

Crazy RAM consumption only happens on XP it seems. Who knows, I only debugged simpler stuff, might be another compromise to have it running on XP.

8 hours ago, verta said:

Is it possible to have this browser, create its data in the users home directory.

Only by specifying it with a command-line parameter, eg.:

--user-data-dir="%LOCALAPPDATA%\360Chrome\Chrome\User Data"

I don't know if it still applies, but there was a quirk with an older ArcticFoxie version that you had to have the default user data files in the target location on the first launch if you were starting with fresh profile, otherwise, it didn't launch properly (got stuck and you couldn't click anything).

I always launched 360chrome.exe directly, not with 360Loader.exe (mentioning it just in case there's unexpected behavior if you have the loader pass the argument...).

Edited by UCyborg

On 12/11/2022 at 10:08 AM, UCyborg said:

but people in general seem to agree "portable" programs do not write to registry and leave registry entries/files on the system.

"Portable" does not have a univeral definition.

I cite CCleaner as an example.  A much larger following than any MSFN-hosted web browser.  CCleaner "Portable" does write permanent entries to the registry.  https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

The CCleaner developer uses the same defintion that 360Chrome basically uses - ie, "no installer, just extract and run".  All a matter of "semantics".

360Chrome registry (as far as entries left behind) is different in Win10 vs XP, those are the only two OSes that I test/verify.  Win10 does leave entries behind even if using the "loader" (I actually use my own AutoIt-compiled "loader").

Your 360Chrome 13.5.2022r3 ungoogled or regular with no tabs, consumes this same 102 MB RAM from 3071 MB memory - on my Windows x86 win32 SP2.

BNavigator no tabs: 112 MB RAM. 

Edited by msfntor

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This will result in "permanent" registry entries.

I don't consider it an issue.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

"Portable" does not have a univeral definition.

I only accept https://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app, anything else is lies, deception, fake news...or a bug.

Of course, I also accept portability in a different context as outlined here.

8 minutes ago, msfntor said:

Your 360Chrome 13.5 ungoogled or regular with no tabs, consumes this same 102 MB RAM from 3071 MB memory - on my Windows x32 SP2.

Interesting, I haven't run x86 SP2 since forever.