ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2022 rebuild 3

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It mostly depends on the overall speed of your PC, HDD and RAM speed in particular.

I have a short white splash with chrome 102 (only upon cold boot) and then zero of them.

With the old 13.5 I had zero of them.

That's kind of the "rub" ( https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-the3.htm ).

Most of us using 360Chrome are on "medium-spec" computers, we aren't running "top-of-the-line" gamer computers and don't have hardware acceleration available (in XP).

And some of us are so "low-end" on the computer spectrum that "real-time" anti-virus throws random BSODs.

For us low and medium computer spec users, that blip of white when running dark mode is like a strobe light at the discoteque.

I'll revisit the older 13.5 versions, I don't recall looking for FOUC when I was running them.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That's kind of the "rub" ( https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-the3.htm ).

Most of us using 360Chrome are on "medium-spec" computers, we aren't running "top-of-the-line" gamer computers and don't have hardware acceleration available (in XP).

And some of us are so "low-end" on the computer spectrum that "real-time" anti-virus throws random BSODs.

For us low and medium computer spec users, that blip of white when running dark mode is like a strobe light at the discoteque.

I'll revisit the older 13.5 versions, I don't recall looking for FOUC when I was running them.

I'm not that kind of goof. My gaming PC is never connected to the internet.

For the internet I use an ancient Fujitsu Siemens from 2009 .

Sold with Vista Business x64. Everything is ancient in it , chipset, old Xeon Quad,

RAM DDR3 32GB (currently installed 16). Simply no need for 32, besides dust gathering.

So no, that browser I ran on a 13.5 years old piece of crap.

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Is it WebRTC?  DRM?  WebGL?  JS WASM?  3 of 4 are disabled intentionally, I've never looked into DRM.

You of all folks should know I don't use any of these. It was only the partially working dark theme I was answering about.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I have deliberately chosen the definition of "period correct" hardware so strictly to make clear that no newer Windows-based operating system than Windows XP can be installed on these underperforming computers. My Windows XP computer is equipped with an old Pentium 4 single core CPU 2.8GHz and only 1.5GB of RAM, produced in 2000. Therefore, this computer fulfils my strict definition of "period correct" hardware. The motherboard is fully compatible with Windows XP.

Hey, I ran Vista on an old XP era PC with 2 GHz (overclocked to 2,5 GHz) Celeron and 1 GB of RAM. It also played 3D games, those that were happy with D3D7 anyway as it used cheap NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. Wouldn't be possible with the original 256 MB RAM stick.

I can't imagine running Chromium on it though. I could with another GB of RAM.

34 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Hey, I ran Vista on an old XP era PC with 2 GHz (overclocked to 2,5 GHz) Celeron and 1 GB of RAM. It also played 3D games, those that were happy with D3D7 anyway as it used cheap NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. Wouldn't be possible with the original 256 MB RAM stick.

Your old computer seems to be what I defined with period correct hardware. What kind of RAM is it? My old Windows XP computer is equipped with slow SDRAM only. Would be interesting to see if you can run 360Chrome v13.5 build 2022 on it. In my system, it consumes with only one empty tab round about 800 MB of RAM after starting.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

47 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

untitled_sal.thumb.JPG.de0c58b0aad647c793715aac784b0fee.JPG

Sadly I can not run V13 at all on this Dell Dimension 3000, the only one I could run was V11, not 12, but DB Browser only on certain sites, never YT even with 2GB of RAM; and I the only one?

26 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed.  My Celeron is also coupled with the MX 440.

I guess we also have to remember that "period-correct" browsers were single-process and didn't do "tabs".

On my old Windows XP computer, I use all my browsers in single-process mode only. Even Mypal 68. Firefox 1.0 was released 2002 with tab browsing. And old Opera versions did also tab browsing, even in 2001 and earlier.

41 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

untitled_sal.thumb.JPG.de0c58b0aad647c793715aac784b0fee.JPG

Sadly I can not run V13 at all on this Dell Dimension 3000, the only one I could run was V11, not 12, but DB Browser only on certain sites, never YT even with 2GB of RAM; and I the only one?

Nah, you are not the only one. I can't run anything greater than 360EE 11 on my Dell Inspiron 600m. I prefer to use v9 on it.

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Your old computer seems to be what I defined with period correct hardware. What kind of RAM is it? My old Windows XP computer is equipped with slow SDRAM only. Would be interesting to see if you can run 360Chrome v13.5 build 2022 on it. In my system, it consumes with only one empty tab round about 800 MB of RAM after starting.

It used DDR RAM, the computer was bought in 2002 or early 2003, had a talking ASUS P4B533 motherboard (ASUS POST Reporter). :D

System completed Power-On Self Test. Computer now booting from operating system.

Can't try 360Chrome on it as I don't have that computer anymore. Would be interesting to try, but that thing was cursed with worst Maxtor HDDs, first one was a 60 GB model, second, which had to replace the previous one, was 80 GB. Both lived a short life and went out with a click of death. Then the new computer was bought in 2009 (form which I'm typing now) and no more investments were made in the old one.

I did run 360Chrome on the current computer on XP x64 and it also consumed about 800 MB of RAM with an empty tab. I didn't check the RAM usage on newer OS last time I tried, but I also remember the game DOOM 3 consuming more RAM on XP x64 than newer OS with same settings / mods (Sikkmod at the time).

Either way, your experience tells usage doesn't decrease when there's less RAM available and slight variation in the kernel (5.1 x86 vs 5.2 x64) also probably doesn't make much, if any difference.

Edited by UCyborg

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I did run 360Chrome on the current computer on XP x64 and it also consumed about 800 MB of RAM with an empty tab.

Is this considered to be normal for chinese made browsers produced in 2020 to consume almost 1gig of RAM with 1 empty page ?

Either of you ever wondered what's inside ? Maybe debug ? I mean , @AstroSkipper is right - this is not normal, and I think he was the first who noticed.