XP and future of web browsing...

theelf

Hi! greetings,  sorry my english,im still using XP as my main OS, i dont use windows vista+ or linux or whatever,   just XP.  How many people still use as main os

My main problem right now is web browsing.  For now we have Chromium 86 (360browser 13.5) &  Firefox 68 (Mypal 68) ,  but this browsers will be outdated soon,  and no one, have DRM support (netflix for example). For netflix still regular firefox+silverlight still work... but how long?

Of course if no project for more modern web browsers happens and project like one core api did not grow up fast,   will be a big problem for any XP users that need to use the computer for everyday work and web browsing

I thinking ideas,   VMs i dont like, too much resource lost, slow, etc

How about a secondary mini computer running linux + xwin server in XP? how will be the speed of xwindows rendering?

VNC is too slow

2 hours ago, theelf said:

windows vista+ or linux or whatever...

btw ... I also don't use a VM didn't work properly on my old systems. To my understanding, unless you were to try Vista 64 Ultimate, Vista 32 bit wouldn't help you much (if at all). I use Linux live DVDs (there's no shortage) and you can always try before you install.

2 hours ago, theelf said:

For now we have Chromium 86 (360browser 13.5) &  Firefox 68 (Mypal 68)

Yeah, emphasis on "For now" :dubbio:

Edited by XPerceniol

Eventually there will be better web browsing options available if we have enough patience. I mean with One Core API, Chrome 102 does already kind of work on XP, even though there is definitely a lot of work to do (extensions and downloads don't work, no sound, etc).

Just a few years back no one would have imagined that we will ever have Firefox 52 running on Windows 98...

We are working with one of our friend from far East, Their soon gonna be a newer Chrome on XP , I will replace Boring SSL with OpenSSL [No need of Proxy for TLS1.3 and ECC] and port Angle Library to DirectX 9[ Smooth Scrolling] , He already got Chromium 92 working.

Please Kindly have patience and i cannot reveal more as per my promise to him. 

Dont ask me when it is coming , but it is coming.

Edited by Dibya

4 hours ago, Dibya said:

Please Kindly have patience and i cannot reveal more as per my promise to him. 

Dont ask me when it is coming , but it is coming.

All what I hope is that it succeeds. Good luck, friend!

Edited by mina7601

On 11/21/2022 at 11:14 PM, XPerceniol said:

I also don't use a VM didn't work properly on my old systems

This is most likely a VirtualBox problem. Guest Windows Vista+ and especially Linux (and especially non-Debian based) run very slow on processors without hardware virtualization support.
Guest Windows 7 and Linux in VMware run much faster.
The last VMware to support XP host is 10.0.7 (but you need a 64 bit processor, even on a 32 bit XP host).
The last VMware for XP for 32 bit processors (e.g. Pentium 4) is 7.1.6 (I have 7.1.4 installed). This version will allow you to run virtual Windows 7 much faster. And the best part is that (unlike VirtualBox) virtual Linux runs even the latest, 2021. I ran Rosa Fresh 12 LXQt, for example.
I won't give you the links, because the application is paid.

In general, modern guest systems are slow on VirtualBox, even on my Linux host. In addition, VMware 7 supports multicore even in software virtualization, unlike VirtualBox. The performance will still be bad. I just said that on very old processors VirtualBox is much slower than VMware. And VirtualBox very poorly supports guest systems newer than it. I was amazed that VMware 7 (2011) ran Linux (2021), which is impossible in VirtualBox.

Edited by artenox

On 21.11.2022 at 9:03 PM, theelf said:

How about a secondary mini computer running linux + xwin server in XP? how will be the speed of xwindows rendering?

VNC is too slow

You mean: a Linux computer renders sites and you connect to it remotely on XP? Is XP just showing the picture?
You know (sorry for the offtops), lately users from Turkmenistan are forced to browse sites this way. But for different reason. Internet censorship in Turkmenistan has reached truly terrifying proportions. Millions of VPN IP addresses are blocked. The IP is blocked by the ISP simply if there is a lot of traffic going to it. Soon there will be no free Internet in Turkmenistan.

16 hours ago, artenox said:

You mean: a Linux computer renders sites and you connect to it remotely on XP? Is XP just showing the picture?

Yeah, I think that is what he is talking about.  I played with the idea in 2017, but decided it was not worth it, given roytam1's builds. It may soon be necessary, though. I'm not a linux guy, but am learning, and the idea for me was/would be to connect to an r-pi used for both filtering and browsing remotely. I think the same can be achieved with vnc (as in tightvnc), though. But I haven't been forced to do so yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

Virtual machine but not that way.

You need a modern desktop computer with CPU, chipset and bios support VT-d feature, integrated iGPU, old PCIe graphics card with WinXP drivers e.g AMD HD7450 and second monitor. You install Linux on it, e.g. Debian 9, put the virt-manager virtual machine with WinXP and passthrough the PCIe graphics card into this WinXP vm machine :P

It works very efficiently. Here I did it on a laptop: PCI passthrough karty graficznej na Debian 9 64-bit

But I also tested it on the desktop computer recently and it works without a problem - preferably with the PCIe AMD graphics card.

Edited by reboot12