Win-10 home (max ram?) and is there a "win-10 optimization pack" ?

Nomen

I've picked up an HP Slim Desktop Celeron G5900 as a refurbed unit. It has 4gb and Windows-10 home 64 bit. I was wondering if there are any RAM limits for W-10 home (ie maybe it's limited to 4 gb?) otherwise I was thinking of throwing another 4 gb ram into it (I'm guessing it would help performance?). I'm somewhat new to win-10, but I see if I'm going to migrate some PC's from 7 to 10 I'm going to have to dig into this a bit. One of the things I'm not liking is when you go through the initial power-on phase of a system with pre-installed win-10 is that it wants you to have a microsoft account (instead of a local account) and there doesn't seem to be a way to bypass that. Beyond that, has anyone come up with a single "god-mode" or "power-user" package that will make all the mods that you'll eventually stumble on doing over time as you hammer and mold a stock/retail win-10 installtion into something more useful for a power user? Like taking ownership of the /etc folder so you can control the hosts file? Turning off all crap services, uninstalling all the stuff you won't use (or will refuse to use on principle) like office 360, onedrive, etc?

Depending on the Windows 10 version there are a few ways to install without a Microsoft account, easiest is to disconnect from internet while installing, if you google for "install windows 10 without microsoft account" you will find many guides/howtos.

jaclaz

The point is that when you buy new or refurbished hardware, it's already going to have win-10 "installed" on it, and there won't be any media disk for you to use to "install it yourself". So the only thing you can do is to go through the motions when you take it out of the box and turn it on. It's going to ask for any info it can to identify a pre-existing microsoft account. Your only option is to give it a phone number that you've never given to M$ before. And I'll ask again, does win-10 home have any set ram limits? How exactly is win-10 home handicapped vs some other flavor of win-10?

OK, after some searching I've found directly from M$ that the "physical" ram limits for Win-10 home is 128 gb vs 2 TB for Pro. I don't know how it's even possible to generally have more than what, 64 gb of installed ram in your "average" desktop computer. So basically there is no real distinction in terms of max installed ram when you're looking at Home vs Pro. This is a big difference compared to Win-7. M$ created more low-budget versions of Win-7. Win-7 "Starter" was limited to 2 gb and was only x86. Win-7 home basic (x64) was limited to 8 gb and Home premium (x64) was limited to 16 gb.

I'm pretty sure its a S01-pF1013w. The HP service app on it said that the 1 year HP warranty expired just a couple months ago. This thing looks brand new, not sure where these come from, maybe leased? For what it has, I think the $170 I paid for it ($125 USD) is a steal. Came with a new mouse and keyboard. 1 TB internal hard drive, 4 gb ram, 4 USB-3 ports in front (which for some reason HP doesn't refer to as USB 3 but as "SuperSpeed USB Type-A"). Yes, I see that it will be limited to 32 gb ram (2 x 16 gb) but I'm not planning to go beyond 8 gb. Just wanted to make sure Win-10 home wasn't limited to 4 gb. I see that 4 gb DDR-4 ram is somewhat hard to find (locally). Having 2 sticks of 4 gb would be faster than a single stick of 8 - yes? Dual Channel?

I don't understand the relationship between the motherboard RAM architecture or RAM sub-system and the M.2 interface. The HP computer in question has (1) NVMe 2242 and (1) NVMe 2280. The smaller one is used by the installed wifi/BT card. I assume I can install an SSD in the larger one? I read somewhere that M.2 SATA is not supported.

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, Nomen said:

which for some reason HP doesn't refer to as USB 3 but as "SuperSpeed USB Type-A"

That's because it's not even really USB 3.0, it's just USB 2.0 with fast charging capabilities. Never ask yourself how much cheaper they could get.

Edited by bob_smith