My Browser Builds (Part 4)

21 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

So my question is - when this thing will be in New Moon? I really want to  see New Moon with Google WebComponents.

And my question is: Where have you been? :) Upstream's native WC implementation has been backported to UXP-based browsers by roytam1 (these, of course, include New Moon 28 - but NOT NM27) since the builds released on the first weekend of March:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184051-my-browser-builds-part-4/page/55/#comment-1239941

On 3/4/2023 at 2:06 AM, roytam1 said:

Official UXP changes picked since my last build:
- Issue #2117 - Part 1 - Update Mac DMG platform names to intel64 for Intel and arm64 for Apple Silicon. (8bacb52ca)
- Issue #1361 - Enable WebComponents by default in the platform. (9b2520249)

... Roy spends considerable free time composing and putting up those Release Notes every Saturday but it appears, in practice, they go totally unnoticed by the majority of users here :(; and it's a pity, TBH <_< ...

TL;DR: Grab yourself last Saturday's NM28 build and you'll see "what you really want to see"; BTW, since the native WC implementation is still being perfected, don't forget to update to the future NM28 releases as they become available :P ...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

And my question is: Where have you been? :) Upstream's native WC implementation has been backported to UXP-based browsers by roytam1 (these, of course, include New Moon 28 - but NOT NM27) since the builds released on the first weekend of March:

I did not know that. However, turns out i already use for a 14 days this March version of  New Monn, where WebComponents is included.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... Roy spends considerable free time composing and putting up those Release Notes every Saturday but it appears, in practice, they go totally unnoticed by the majority of users here :(; and it's a pity, TBH <_< ...

That's not accurate statement.  I usually download new versions from here: https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

And i usually read whats new in "Official Pale-Moon changes picked since my last build:" and "Official Basilisk changes picked since my last build:". Because i expected that the most critical changes will be mentioned there. The reason why i miss mention about WebComponents, is because it is written as casual change in the middle of long list named: "Official UXP changes picked since my last build:"

Here is examle of issues from there next to important WebComponents announcement:

- Issue #1344 - (Parser: Java) Don't reset containsHyphen value after finding one (d9b7057ff)
- Issue #1344 - (Parser: C++) Don't reset containsHyphen value after finding one (55100bb28)
- Issue #2118 - Part 1: Update gfxUtils YuvColorMatrix functions to match upstream mozilla code more closely. (beef43760)
- Issue #2118 - Part 2: Add support for Identity YUVColorSpace (3e62b1fc9)
- Issue #2101 - Part 1: Add mColorRange info to YCbCrBuffer (c0c76cd45)
- Issue #2101 - Part 2: Use stdint.h types instead of uint8 and friends (42f329689)
- Issue #2101 - Part 3: Update libyuv (a4d1f57b9)

I usually not read this because i don't understand meaning of this. I wAS expectING more BIG announcement about WebComponents enabled, then getting it lost in the list of super-complicated issues that 99.9% of people do not understand.

I Like how the Pale Moon guys did it: They openly said - "hey guys, we now enabled WebComponents by default, major change, long awaited, how cool is that!!!"

So i notice that. But if you think i will read every - Issue #OVER9000!1111  - you simply wrong and you lying to yourself.

I deeply respect work of roytam! and often like and up-vote his posts here,

1 hour ago, Rod Steel said:

I wAS expectING more BIG announcement about WebComponents enabled

since there are some follow-ups still not landing, I don't think it is good to make such a statement.

and since the nature of my builds, usually I don't make these announcements, but I may update FAQ in first page from time to time to reflect codebase changes.

I usually download new versions from here:
https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

... Where the exact same changelogs (as the ones posted here) are also printed just below the download links :P ...

And i usually read whats new in "Official Pale-Moon changes picked since my last build:" and "Official Basilisk changes picked since my last build:". Because i expected that the most critical changes will be mentioned there.

This has been conveyed/explained time and again: ALL major development, both upstream and here, takes place at the platform level (i.e. UXP)

Upstream (platform):

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commits/branch/master

Upstream (application=Pale Moon)

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/commits/branch/master

Upstream (application=Basilisk)

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/commits/branch/master

Roytam1 (custom branch - consists of cherry-picked development commits from upstream UXP+PM+Bk)

https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commits/custom

I usually not read this because i don't understand meaning of this. I wAS expectING more BIG announcement about WebComponents enabled, then getting it lost in the list of super-complicated issues that 99.9% of people do not understand.

I Like how the Pale Moon guys did it: They openly said - "hey guys, we now enabled WebComponents by default, major change, long awaited, how cool is that!!!"

I agree that most of the committed code is in "developer's speak", but if you make it a habit of quickly browsing over it every Saturday, you start understanding more as time goes on - in any case, "Enable WebComponents by default in the platform." is human-readable enough, isn't it...

Upstream make official monthly releases, with announcements in their Forum,

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=237830&#p237830

in their application code repo:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/releases/tag/32.1.0_Release

as well as in a dedicated Releases page in the PM site:

https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

OTOH, the development model of roytam1 is akin to a "nightly" release channel, with a weekly frequency of binary distributions - these are not tagged/"official" Roy releases, just "unstable/weekly" ones; the "norm" in such cases is to provide changelogs in the form of git-compare, e.g. :

https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/compare/6f99b97...85f6a49

lists the source code changes between the latest UXP builds (by Roy) and the ones he released some 10 days ago... It's the way it has been for years...

you simply wrong and you lying to yourself.

Of course I can be wrong, as much as anyone can :) ... And I'm not in the habit of "lying to myself", or to others, for that matter...
In fact, being past 50 has taught me that it's telling the truth to others that will get me to trouble more often than not...
I'm simply volunteering here, my free time is as precious as yours or anyone else's inside this community...
Roy's making the hardest sacrifice :worship: to keep our old H/W and OSes usable by providing his browsers, I consider it a form of payback (to him) to occasionally offer "my services" here, with the deep knowledge I'm not "pleasant" to ALL readers...

Best regards...

Edited by VistaLover

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I fear that many/most users here are not interested in reading these release notes, unfortunately. smilie_denk_24.gif Only technically interested people, coders or developers will read or check these release notes in detail. And I agree it's a pity, of course. But this kind of disinterest and volatility is the way of things nowadays and can be observed in many situations, everything quick, quick, quick ... and reading? Too exhausting! :rolleyes: Anyway! I do appreciate these additional information and am grateful to @roytam1 for his incredible effort and endeavour in all that he does. thanx.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

but I may update FAQ in first page from time to time to reflect codebase changes.

@Rod Steel and, possibly, many others ;) :

Please be kind enough to check below FAQ:

On 10/29/2022 at 2:05 AM, roytam1 said:

Q: but is it up to date?
A: please have a look here:

i.e.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:09 AM, VistaLover said:

Latest New Moon 28 build is more-up-to-date compared to the last official Pale Moon release (v31.4.2), though a new PM release should be imminent (v32.0.0?) ...

appVersion has nothing to do in these cases (and I've explained that in the past, too), it's the actual source code used to build the releases that matters...

Roytam1 cherry-picks all feature enhancements from the upstream platform (UXP by MCP) and upstream applications (PM by MCP and Basilisk by Basilisk-Dev) and merges them into his UXP fork - security patches come via the MCP and/or Mozilla repos...

A few upstream features/commits are not being adopted, because they are incompatible with the OSes roytam1 targets; others (like the JPEG-X decoder) are not compatible with the compiler (MS VS2015) currently employed to build his releases...

TL;DR: If a certain "feature" (Web Compatibility-related, or otherwise) has made it onto an official Pale Moon (and/or Basilisk) "proper" release, then, in all probability, it's already extant in the Roytam1 UXP-forks preceding those "official" releases ;) ...

Notable exceptions:
a) The "feature" breaks < Win7 compatibility in "our" forks, hence hasn't been included ...
b) (related to "a)" in an indirect way:) The "feature" is currently incompatible with the compiler used to build the forks
c) "Upstream" have updated their source code (platform and/or application) on a day after Saturday and have rushed a new binary release immediately after, before coming Saturday's scheduled releases by Roytam1 ;) ; in that last, rare, case, wait for a few more days until the Roytam1 releases have been published in the known "outlets" :whistle:...

And that concludes it, I hope :P ...

Best wishes :) to all!

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I'm simply volunteering here, my free time is as precious as yours or anyone else's inside this community...

I always appreciate your volunteering (and I'm sure others do too). I actually smile when I read your posts. Keep it up!

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Roy's making the hardest sacrifice :worship: to keep our old H/W and OSes usable by providing his browsers, I consider it a form of payback (to him) to occasionally offer "my services" here

I completely agree with this, especially the first part. I appreciate @roytam1's work on the browsers, even if I don't update them.

4 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I always appreciate your volunteering (and I'm sure others do too). I actually smile when I read your posts. Keep it up!

I completely agree with this, especially the first part. I appreciate @roytam1's work on the browsers, even if I don't update them.

I agree with both of these you both make me smile (:

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I fear that many/most users here are not interested in reading these release notes, unfortunately. smilie_denk_24.gif Only technically interested people, coders or developers will read or check these release notes in detail. And I agree it's a pity, of course. But this kind of disinterest and volatility is the way of things nowadays and can be observed in many situations, everything quick, quick, quick ... and reading? Too exhausting! :rolleyes:

Because they're commit logs comprehensible mostly to those involved in development. Most of those mean nothing to me either. Most people won't notice the effects of seemingly many changes behind-the-scenes, but they'll notice buggy/broken/slow rendering of certain web pages.

I'd rather read a good book, though I'm indeed too exhausted. Maybe when I'm retired. Oh who am I kidding, we're going straight to the grawe!

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

I'm sure he'd make a great technical support technician!

On 3/18/2023 at 5:49 AM, UCyborg said:

If anyone noticed, Firefox got structuredClone before Chromium did. :P

BTW, PerformanceObserver is implemented in UXP, but MCP thinks it's evil so it's disabled by default - search for performance in about:config, I don't recall the exact pref name and I'm not at computer ATM.

Edit: It's dom.enable_performance_observer.

Yeah, Moonchild says it's a "privacy footgun" but I am not sure how this is the case. I've gotten him to explain it to me before but I still didn't understand his reasoning.

Is this a pref that people think should be enabled in upstream Basilisk? If so I can do that. I've been having to enable it to get Basilisk to work for my work sites even before I took over the project.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, roytam1 said:
On 3/14/2023 at 11:52 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for the information! It would be great if reverting these commits really fixes these crashes. In the meanwhile, I had a further crash in mozglue.dll. :o

you may revert to previous build or wait for next build

@roytam1 Just a short feedback! Since your recent release of New Moon 28 (palemoon-28.10.6a1.win32-git-20230318-d849524bd-uxp-85f6a4929-xpmod.7z), I didn't observe any further crashes of mozglue.dll:thumbup Great job and thanks! Hope it will stay that way! :)

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :hello:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Holy Crap!  Look at this Basilisk thread, where I guess someone from here went to the Pale Moon Forum and dared to mistakenly ask about Serpent.  It's not about the right or wrong I'm concerned with: it's the snotty nature that Moonbat conducts himself with.  Just a p***-poor way to talk about people:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=28657&start=40#p237935

2 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Holy Crap!  Look at this Basilisk thread, where I guess someone from here went to the Pale Moon Forum and dared to mistakenly ask about Serpent.  It's not about the right or wrong I'm concerned with: it's the snotty nature that Moonbat conducts himself with.  Just a p***-poor way to talk about people:

that's the reason I left palemoon forum is for this reason (it got rough)

40 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Simply said, poor and a no-go. But Moonbat got a very good reply from Sajadi. :thumbup I am sure that Moonbat would have been warned by our moderators if he had posted something like that here. I assume his comment would have been deleted immediately.

Edited by AstroSkipper