My Browser Builds (Part 4)

12 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

New Moon has it like this as default:

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

Page load is still ridiculously slow compared to modern browsers...

My initial load time with default agent above is cca. 30 seconds. The one I suggested drops it to cca. 13 seconds.

It's been known for a long time YouTube's UI (aka. Polymer) is slow, especially in browsers not implementing Web Components and such.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:32 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Hey Guys!  (and perhaps @roytam1 in particular:)

I run the x64 build of Interlink Mail and News on Windows 8.  Binary Outcast hasn't updated it since last summer.  So I have three questions.  In each case, let's discount anything to do with Windows XP/Vista compatibility)

(a) Other than the fact that you only provide an x86 build of MailNews, how are you updating Interlink, when Binary Outcast hasn't updated in seven months?  In a synopsis, what is basically different from the official version?

(b) Next thing, what are the key differences in the Windows version of IceDove that you create and MailNews?  Are there UI and functional differences.

(c) Last question (and least important of all) - Is IceApe a reworking of the Seamonkey Suite on UXP?  Or is it MailNews and BNavigator combined?

Thanks for your help :)

I know it's already been (sort of) answered, but let me add:

(a) The UXP engine underlying MailNews changes just about every week, so every time UXP is updated, it's possible to build a new version of MailNews. TBH, most changes don't really affect MailNews (e.g., email doesn't use JavaScript, so JavaScript enhancements don't improve MailNews), which is, I assume, why BOC hasn't updated in a while.

This week's build contains a change that does affect MailNews: an enhancement allowing OAuth2 to be used with email addresses that are actually GMail "in disguise." (I used to have such an email address.)

(b) There might be other differences, but the only one I've noticed so far is that IceDove lacks OAuth2 as an authentication option; I'm guessing because OAuth2 was added to UXP after Hyperbola stopped IceDove development. So the OAuth2 code is "in" UXP but can't be accessed from IceDove.

(c) The former: IceApe is Hyperbola's reworking of SeaMonkey on UXP, further reworked by @roytam1 for compatibility with older Windows versions, and to include the latest UXP enhancements.:cheerleader:

23 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It's been known for a long time YouTube's UI (aka. Polymer) is slow, especially in browsers not implementing Web Components and such.

I wonder if YT uses a polyfill on such browsers? That might explain the slowness....

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I wonder if YT uses a polyfill on such browsers? That might explain the slowness....

There are differences in which files are served depending on the Firefox version presented in the user agent string (60 vs. 42). Polyfill is definitely used, it's like Firefox 42 gets a faster version.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

There are differences in which files are served depending on the Firefox version presented in the user agent string (60 vs. 42). Polyfill is definitely used, it's like Firefox 42 gets a faster version.

It could be measured and if true, then @roytam1 could add the faster UA string in his builds as default. :dubbio:

Edit: All already added by Moonchild by now and ready to be used by @roytam1 too :D

Btw. there seems to be finally a solution which is able to make Custom Elements work - on pages like Youtube and Github for example, which would be a huge improvement of web compatibility - no need for Palefill anymore as it seems and with a high speed improvement.

@roytam1 Take a look, is highly of interest for you too :)

Explanation of the solution:
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1344#issuecomment-34171
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1344#issuecomment-34177
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1344#issuecomment-34185

Pull requests:
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/pulls/2129

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/pulls/2128

Edited by Saphir

Off-Topic: so tomorrow is last day of my "sick leave" period caused by bicycle accident happened in 12 Nov 2022, I'll try to pick-up all upstream changes to my trees. Starting from 1 March I have to resume to my $DAYJOB and picking-up tasks that crated during the period that I was "missing" so it could be quite busy in following days/weeks.

hope everything goes well and back to normal soon.

25 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

Off-Topic: so tomorrow is last day of my "sick leave" period caused by bicycle accident happened in 12 Nov 2022, I'll try to pick-up all upstream changes to my trees. Starting from 1 March I have to resume to my $DAYJOB and picking-up tasks that crated during the period that I was "missing" so it could be quite busy in following days/weeks.

Thank you for telling us about your current status, @roytam1! I am glad you are getting better. I too hope everything goes back to normal, hopefully!

17 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Brother, you are a legend in this community...and I thank you for everything you've done. You've fought a tremendous fight in terms of maintaining and sharing legacy OS-compatible software of all kinds, especially your fantastic browser builds. May you recover and be at peace, friend. You are always in my thoughts!

All the best wishes @roytam1 also from my side.

Let me take this oportunity to say hello to this forum and a big Thank You!, including also @VistaLover, @NotHereToPlayGames, @IXOYE and the many others for their valuable help and contributions here!
Having been lurking here for some years, now there have accumulated a couple of questions an small issues i'd like to discuss:

1) After Palemoon 25.8 i started using Roytam's Serpent-55.0, later used Serpent-52.9 (with it's slightly more recent codebasis) parallel, for different websites for about two years. Now i wonder, if there's a qualified possibility to merge the S-55.0 bookmarks into the bookmarks of S-52.9.

2) I have a triple boot system with XP, Win7 (and a modern Linux partition) to boot in.
All my roytam's browser installations are kindof ,portable' which implicates that i can launch (for example) the Serpent-52.9 (32 bit) from the XP-partition, in Windows 7.
Now, [having added the CTR to all UXP browsers to protect my sense of esthetics :P] the result of starting S-52.9 from the XP-partition (with that XP- .\Profile) under Win7 is, that the menu-bar is missing!
But, when i simply COPY the SAME S-52.9 folder from the XP to the Win7 partition  and now start Serpent in Win7 (,locally'), the menubar comes up as expected. Isn't that funny?

3) I have the Status-bar activated in both, Serpent 52.9 and 55.0 in which is located the downlod status icon (bold arrow down) at the right corner.
In S-55.0 that button works perfectly: it shows an active DL by color, it's possible to open the dl-window by clicking ont it, hovering above it shows some dl-information, and it indicates the completion of a DL with a nice animation.
In S-52.9 in contrary, that button does nothing of these at all.

4) At th beginning of this year my both main mail-providers changed authentification and security mechhanisms so i was forced to leave my beloved and familiar Thunderbird 2.0. behind, but later very lucky to find roytam's Mailnews version as a dignified successor.
Everything is familiar and works as expected... Many thanks again for providing it!
Jast a small ,issue' for me: those ,ancient' thunderbirds had a nice feature: the rows of the main message-list had alternating colors (white and a light grey). That's gone unfortunately in mailnews.
The solution, to put a userChrome.css with

#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
       -moz-appearance: none !important;
       background-color: rgb(232,232,232) !important; }

in the profile path (as described here) didn't work for mailnews...

Edit: just found a picture of alternating color: http://blog.officefirst.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/1057948436-3.png

All kinds of help and hints for the 4 cases are very appreciated. Many thanks!

Edited by Mark-XP
typo