My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, soggi said:

Does it really work? The last time I wanted to use a Pale Moon lang pack in New Moon I had no success.

Official Pale Moon 32.0.0 Language Pack can be installed in latest NM28 if "install.rdf" is edited (lower <em:minVersion> to accommodate NM28); it works for the most part:

UZcfoH5.png

Sadly, some less-used parts of the GUI (e.g. Web Developer Tools) are partially broken... :( This is because PM and NM[28]'s  LPs are no more fully interchangeable... FWIW, all Roy's browsers are meant to be "en-US" locale, only...

Edited by VistaLover

48 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

"Personally", I'd stick with whatever browser on Win7SP1 is based on Chromium 109 (EoS for that OS), for as long as it still meets my browsing requirements ;)

FWIW, Mozilla Firefox still supports that OS, with no official cut-off date announced yet...

There is also the latest Firefox ESR installed on our Win7 machine, but it is slow in comparison to Pale Moon aaaand what is much more important: the GUIs of all the modern browsers simply suck - Pale Moon still has the old/complete GUI which is extremly important to me.

kind regards
soggi

3 hours ago, soggi said:
19 hours ago, mina7601 said:

New Moon is available in English (United States), but you can install your own language, read this post to know how.

Does it really work? The last time I wanted to use a Pale Moon lang pack in New Moon I had no success.

kind regards
soggi

2 hours ago, soggi said:

New Moon 28 (and New Moon 27 as "back-up").

It would be great for family members which have problems to understand English, for me it doesn't matter.

kind regards
soggi

Hi @soggi! For New Moon 28, I use the German language pack from here: https://github.com/JustOff/pale-moon-localization/releases/download/28.10.0_RC1/de.xpi which I modified myself a long time ago in terms of the dev tools. You are German like me g036.gif, therefore you are lucky and can use my already modified language pack file de-mod-content-dev.xpi. Here is the link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/99riihhfrxrju2k/de-mod-content-dev.xpi/file

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Besides catsxp browser which is a Brave browser fork , please find an ongoing conversation below

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/catsxp-browser.449453/

there is also Epic browser developed for the Indian market.

There are two versions one based on chrome and one on Firefox. Both of them seem to be be 6 or 7 cycles behind if I am not mistaken

https://epic-browser.en.uptodown.com/windows

The chromium based does not support any add ons.

I'll be giving catsxp a try in the foreseeable future. Catsxp also working on winxp providing that you can transfer window 7 certificates to xp

Cheers

Managed to get Nextcloud (previously mentioned browser-side JS replacement and additionally one CSS tweak) to mostly work. PDF viewer doesn't work along with the page with log messages. The key CSS tweak is:

#content {
  height: calc(100% - 4em) !important;
}

I won't bother any further. Driving Pale Moon in 2023 feels like driving a car with a fancy infotainment and other bells and whistles, but a broken engine that stalls a lot and (more often with time) refuses to restart.

Edited by UCyborg

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @soggi! For New Moon 28, I use the German language pack from here: https://github.com/JustOff/pale-moon-localization/releases/download/28.10.0_RC1/de.xpi which I modified myself a long time ago in terms of the dev tools. You are German like me g036.gif, therefore you are lucky and can use my already modified language pack file de-mod-content-dev.xpi. Here is the link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/99riihhfrxrju2k/de-mod-content-dev.xpi/file

Here is a screenshot of the Web Developer menu of New Moon 28.10.6a1 (32-bit) (2023-01-19) in the German language (Web-Entwickler): 

Web-Entwickler-Men.png

My modified language pack is fully working, and all has been translated. BTW, New Moon 28 is my main browser under Windows XP, even in 2023. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, Tangy said:

Catsxp also working on winxp

... Do you happen to know the last (portable) version to do so, additionally the last one for Vista? ;)

EDIT: It appears the last Vista-compatible release was v0.6.3

zh1hSH7.png

based on Chromium 85; when the author upgraded to Chromium 86 core, Vista support was lost and he could not restore it :( ...
Also:

On 2/6/2021 at 2:18 AM, g_m_1990_ said:

Edit: Now I completely won't recommend this to anyone now as the developer removed 0.6.3 download link and mentioned in his reply email to me that he has given up Windows Vista support. What's more, 0.6.3 has a serious flaw on YouTube video playback even if you turn off "shield up this website", and there's no way to completely disable "trackers and ads blocking", as each time you open settings page it reverts back to "Standard" setting

Edited by VistaLover

58 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

the landing of #2083 in upstream causes some crashes to me

Is this something upstream should be notified about :dubbio:, or do the crashes happen because:
a) "our" UXP tree has significantly diverged from upstream's?
b) upstream target MS VS2022 compiler for their Windows builds (themselves targeting Win7SP1+),
whereas "we" still target MS VS2015 and WinXP+ ?

32 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Is this something upstream should be notified about :dubbio:, or do the crashes happen because:
a) "our" UXP tree has significantly diverged from upstream's?
b) upstream target MS VS2022 compiler for their Windows builds (themselves targeting Win7SP1+),
whereas "we" still target MS VS2015 and WinXP+ ?

both are possible, but I think they didn't test that PR letting it to run for a longer time and browsing more sites and pages.

(since I don't have a way to 100% reproducing the crash in JitCodeTables destructor je_free() here)