My Browser Builds (Part 4)

3 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Anyone else here having YouTube pre-roll ads lately, despite using uBlock Origin Legacy?

No issue with official uBO in other browsers.

(I don't mean the sponsor segments)

Test video here.

At least on official Pale Moon, most of the time no, though every once in a blue moon an ad sneaks through.

18 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Rather than setting an increasingly long list of SSUAOs to deal with what is likely to be an ever-expanding problem, would it make more sense to set a general UAO omitting Goanna/*, then set SSUAOs only on sites that do require (or at least, work better with) it in the user agent string?

Judging by default user agent overrides, MCP may be open for actually expanding that list.

3 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Anyone else here having YouTube pre-roll ads lately, despite using uBlock Origin Legacy?

Test video here.

YES, that's why I've added this Chrome (sorry..) extension: Adblock for Youtube™ : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-for-youtube/ijelnahiojlfbmiihbmgkaldffppfelp?hl=en-US  - this one, not another...

Works flawlessly here. UpdatedDecember 24, 2022. Size 47.75KiB only.

"Banners, commercials, or even commercials that you usually see before videos on Youtube are blocked by the extension."

Addon for FIREFOX: called idem: Adblock for Youtube™

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-for-youtube-tm/

- but it's Size 1.15 MB ... the text is similar to extension above.. hmm maybe not this same developer?..

Edited by msfntor

On 1/22/2023 at 9:28 PM, nicolaasjan said:

having YouTube pre-roll ads lately, despite using uBlock Origin Legacy?
Test video here.

... Which browser exactly is this about? ... And, possibly the most important part ;), which "version" of uBlock Origin Legacy with?
Thirdly, which native and/or additional custom filter lists are being enabled under 3rd-party-filters tab? ;)

If, by any chance, you're currently using your "home-brewed" uBO-legacy version (or this mod), humour me :) and make a test using the "original" 1.16.4.31b2 version by @hawkeye116477 ; a complete uninstall of whatever uBO version is currently installed is required, followed by purging the sqlite database "./<profileDir>/extension-data/ublock0.sqlite", restarting the browser and making a clean install of the "hawkeye" version...

I don't use youtube extensively in St52 myself, but when I tested the uBO mod(s) in which "assets.json" was transplanted from later WE versions of uBO, youtube pre-roll ads was an unwelcome side-effect :crazy: ; it would appear (some of) the "assets" imported from uBO-WE have syntax not palatable to the older JS engine of uBO-legacy :( ...

FTR, your test video played here without any pre-roll ads even after 10 consecutive loadings... Yes, I'm still using the "hawkeye" build myself :P ...

Edited by VistaLover

18 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

I also occasionally use this...

Mozilla/5.0 Windows 

This sometimes seems to negate any website 'decisions' based on UA and instead gives something more generic (and therefore compatible).

Be careful with such bogus UAs - they are blocked on some websites, because they are used by many bad bots. Below you can see a small snippet from my .htaccess, a regexp which blocks some unusual and bogus UAs.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(;\+|;rv:|\(Chrome\)|\(Windows.*MSIE|\[..\]|Gecko\ Fire|Mozilla\/5.*MSIE\ [2-8]|MSIE[0-9]|MSID|MSIE\ (2\.0|7\.0a1|7\.0b|(9|10).*NT\ 5|10\.6|11)|Opera\/.*rv:|rv:[0-4]\..*Firefox\/([5-9]|..)\.|rv:x\.x|(SV1|x64)(;\)|-)|X\ 107).*$ [NC,OR]

Note that no common (valid/legit) UA is blocked!

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

7 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Test video here.

You could use (if possible) the Viewtube script with Greasemonkey. IMO it is the best to avoid ads --> http://sebaro.pro/viewtube/

6 hours ago, shelby said:

Will you add windows NT3.1/3.5/3x in your browsers?

Without cheating by copying "MSVCRT.DLL" from a Visual C++ 5.0 installation/medium while compiling with Visual C++ 6.0 (which does work), that will require Visual C++ 5.0 support for any hope of Windows NT 3.1/3.50 compatibility, which is something I want to try, but I don't know if I'll be able to add the code necessary to support Windows NT 3.1/3.5. For Windows 3.x, on 3.1x, that requires Visual C++ 4.0 (for Win32s), or 1.0 support along with a way to create a 16-bit build. For Windows 3.0, I don't even know the build tools I would need to use in order to achieve support for that. From a practical/realistic standpoint though, Windows 3.x support is impossible to achieve, with NT 3.1/3.50 being theoretically possible, but very difficult to attempt. The earliest Firefox version I can compile is 1.5, and I want to use that so I can try my hand at Visual C++ 5.0 support, but as for Windows NT 3.1/3.5 I don't think I'll be able to support that. BTW. I want to fork Firefox 3.0 for the purpose of having a Visual C++ 6.0 compatible Firefox build, then add back the Windows 95 support code, but I'm feeling discouraged right now by having my Firefox 3.0a5, and Firefox 3.0a6 builds not displaying a context menu when right-clicking on anything, which also means the menu bar doesn't work.

Edited by ClassicNick

On 1/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, shelby said:

At least one is marked as so in RT's repo, and recently updated, by the look of it. I haven't used a 3.x since forever.  https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2023/01/greenpad-for-nt-3x-build-20230108.html Wrong observation.

Edited by dmiranda

9 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Anyone else here having YouTube

Youtube plays a trick or two a month, unfortunately, which shows up in many ways. For example, your last yt-dlp build seems to require, to work well in converting to mp3 (in my usual home set up), the last built of the ffmpegs I generally use (at https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/?C=M&O=D)

Edited by dmiranda

10 hours ago, shelby said:

BTW if you need some tools/utilities for older Windows versions (mostly Win95/WinNT4/Win98(SE)/WinME/Win2k/WinXP) or even DOS and some alternative OSes, you can have a look at my website -> https://soggi.org/misc/tools.htm.

2 hours ago, dmiranda said:

At least one is marked as so in RT's repo, and recently updated, by the look of it. I haven't used a 3.x since forever.  https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2023/01/greenpad-for-nt-3x-build-20230108.html

GreenPad is a text editor (Microsoft Editor / Notepad replacement) and NOT a browser! Have you really had a look at the URL you have posted?

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Which browser exactly is this about? ...

Both official Pale Moon and New Moon 28.

If, by any chance, you're currently using your "home-grown" uBO-legacy version or this mod, humour me and make a test using the "original" 1.16.4.31b2 version by hawkeye116477 ... A complete uninstall of whatever uBO version is currently installed is required, followed by purging the sqlite database "./<profile>/extension-data/ublock0.sqlite", restarting the browser and making a clean install of the "hawkeye" version...

I will humour you. :D

It was indeed my hacked version with current assets.

Checked again after disabling the new "uBlock filters – Quick fixes", but that made no difference.

Hawkeye's version has indeed no issues with pre-rolls, but I had to append "Online Malicious URL Blocklist" to custom again, because the URL has changed some time ago.

Now:

https://malware-filter.gitlab.io/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter-online.txt

I don't use youtube extensively in St52 myself, but when I tested the uBO mod(s) in which "assets.json" was transplanted from later WE versions of uBO, youtube pre-roll ads was an unwelcome side-effect ; it would appear (some of) the "assets" imported from uBO-WE have syntax not palatable to the older JS engine of uBO-legacy...

Now I would like to know which one(s)...

Edited by nicolaasjan

12 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Test video here.

Have you tried custom rules in My filters?

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/wiki/solutions/#wiki_youtube