My Browser Builds (Part 4)

2 hours ago, Montana Slim said:

Apparently, the latest bnavigator, mailnews, iceape & icedove weren't uploaded to the server... I get "404 not found".

should be fixed. since I upload them before I sleep, and create release notes posts after woke up next day and I may forget one or two of them.

The mirror of latest ArcticFox 40, BNavigator 0.9, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe 52, IceDove 52, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28, RetroZilla, RZ browser and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20230114 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20230114 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20230114 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20230114 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20230114 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20230114 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20230114 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20230114 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20230114 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

kind regards
soggi

Sweet!  Ecstatic to report that "invalid identity escape in regular expression" has been resolved somewhere between NM28 28.10.6a1 (2022-10-27) and NM28 28.10.6a1 (2023-01-13).

I'll narrow it down a bit more precisely one of these days as I haven't been keeping track with weekly changelogs.

This one solitary error has been my holdup for a couple of years as far as returning to NM28 as my default.  I may no longer need 360Chrome at all anymore.

Though a rebased 360Chrome v13.5 now uses less RAM than NM28.

I haven't tweaked NM28 and tested on all my websites, but it is very good news as far as "invalid identity escape in regular expression".

Hi

18 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Could you try this one?

It works, but I didn't see any difference with the experimental version. mpv open time remains double of yt-dlp_x86_XP version.

17 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Don't know if there are other GUI's that support XP...

In New Moon you can use the "Open With" extension (direct link) to download videos or audio straight from the browsers right click menu:

I prefer "mpv-youtube-dl-binding" and "youtube-dl-gui-0.4-win-portable"...:)

there are too many errors with "Open with" on a new profile of newmoon 28

spacer.png

Edited by IXOYE
add image

2 hours ago, IXOYE said:

there are too many errors with "Open with" on a new profile of newmoon 28

Strange...

This is what I get on  palemoon.start.me/nl. No errors related to Open With:

spacer.png

Well, MPV still doesn't work here on XP, but I can open videos with VLC, using Open With.

You only need the latest version of the 'youtube.luac' file from here (save as .luac).

Copy to "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.luac"

Edited by nicolaasjan

The past couple of days I've noticed that with IceApe on XP, you can't place bids on eBay anymore.

They've got something new now where a white box pops up into the foreground and says:

"Oops! looks like we're having trouble connecting to our server. Refresh your browser and try again."

Just for the heck of it I tried the last version of SeaMonkey that works with XP, and the white box appears with a spinning circle and nothing else happens.

Anybody else having this problem with any of the Roytam browsers?

1 hour ago, pappyN4 said:

@roytam1 Is it possible / any plans on adding  JavaScript Optional Chaining (?.) and Nullish Coalescing (??)  

example of site where it's used is github

-pappy

Support for the Optional Chaining, and Nullish Coalescing operators is in UXP in theory (and in my experience does work). I don't think support exists outside of the UXP/Moebius codebase though. If you have New Moon 28.10.6a1, Serpent 55, or Serpent 52.9 (My preference would be to use a build released since mid-2022), you can use Palefill 1.25, which should allow GitHub to work again. https://github.com/martok/palefill/releases/download/v1.25/palefill-1.25.xpi

34 minutes ago, ClassicNick said:

Support for the Optional Chaining, and Nullish Coalescing operators is in UXP in theory (and in my experience does work). I don't think support exists outside of the UXP/Moebius codebase though. If you have New Moon 28.10.6a1, Serpent 55, or Serpent 52.9 (My preference would be to use a build released since mid-2022), you can use Palefill 1.25, which should allow GitHub to work again. https://github.com/martok/palefill/releases/download/v1.25/palefill-1.25.xpi

NewMoon 28 is indeed my primary.  Palefill looks like it works :thumbup  thanks

6 hours ago, pappyN4 said:

@roytam1 Is it possible / any plans on adding  JavaScript Optional Chaining (?.) and Nullish Coalescing (??)  

example of site where it's used is github

-pappy

they're already here since June 2022 in UXP/moebius builds.

still not having a way for adding them in Goanna3 based browsers.

Edited by roytam1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:44 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sweet!  Ecstatic to report that "invalid identity escape in regular expression" has been resolved somewhere between NM28 28.10.6a1 (2022-10-27) and NM28 28.10.6a1 (2023-01-13).

Christmas release.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:44 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Though a rebased 360Chrome v13.5 now uses less RAM than NM28.

You can rebase NM28 as well, it has bunch of DLLs, though only one bigger one.

And check memory.free_dirty_pages on about:config page, set it to true. Found on Bugzilla that it was the direction Firefox went, something internally about memory management that should behaved like that from the beginning.

It probably won't make much difference though, different browser, different quirks.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:26 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

How do I set a permission to allow mic access to a given web site in NM28?

I forgot, is this the one with about:permissions page?

I wonder if WebGL performance on XP will ever be fixed in these browsers. It's at least a decade old tech and it worked fine...a long time ago.

Performance is OK on Vista, though when I was browsing Shadertoy, I got some crashes (only WebGL settings that were altered were webgl.enable-debug-renderer-info and webgl.enable-draft-extensions). Specifically, searching for "bunny" and clicking through all the search results eventually produced a crash inside libGLESv2.dll.

I've actually 'been using SeaMonkey's libEGL.dll and libGLESv2.dll on official Pale Moon for a while, simply due to the hunch that I have that SeaMonkey folks are more attentive to that component compared to UXP folks. And those DLLs are compatible with UXP, you get more extensions listed on the about:support page as well.

Anyway, I tried libEGL.dll and libGLESv2.dll from seamonkey-2.53.14.en-US.win32.zip (Windows 7+ compatible browser) with latest 32-bit Serpent 52 on Vista and the browser did not crash anymore on Shadertoy! :D

Edited by UCyborg

30 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I forgot, is this the one with about:permissions page?

There is an about:permissions page.  But no setting for microphone.  NM28 is probably "supposed to" popup a little dialog box when a website requests mic access but it does not (my reference page is Google Voice).

@NotHereToPlayGames : Official Pale Moon (and, as a consequence, NM), has never supported WebRTC, which is required for (most) online-services accessing the mic and/or camera...

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It's there in Serpent 52.

Serpent 52's WebRTC implementation, despite being standards-compliant (the claim by "upstream"), is generally not "well-digested" by recent "chat/telephony" services, which expect the type of WebRTC found in recent Chromium incarnations...

On 1/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Ecstatic to report that "invalid identity escape in regular expression" has been resolved somewhere between NM28 28.10.6a1 (2022-10-27) and NM28 28.10.6a1 (2023-01-13).

It's actually UXP issues 1279, 1285 , 1286, 2056 , all fixed by martok's (the author of palefill) PR #2060 :thumbup (I believe martok was paid a bounty by MCP for his contribution). The merged code landed first on Roy's browsers (actually, ahead of upstream ;) ) with the Xmas Eve releases ...

On 1/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I may no longer need 360Chrome at all anymore.

... Don't make decisions based on sheer enthusiasm ;) ... That was just ONE long-standing UXP shortcoming that was fixed... Chromium 86 is years ahead in JS features in demand by the recent "web"... :(
UXP still lacks a full and proper WC/CE implementation (that's why palefill exists for just a handful of sites), plus lacks "dynamic module import" support and a few other "deal-breakers" ... And UXP is still developed as a single-process platform; might have been good back then in 2016-7, but what about now when one tab might "host" a full-blown web app (with 10s of MBs of js code, e.g. web discord/desktop YT, etc.)? Especially on older H/W most of us here use, that "one tab" stalls the whole browser GUI by itself :realmad: ...

I'd stay with 360EEv13.5 myself (especially if WebRTC is a "must") ...

Edited by VistaLover