My Browser Builds (Part 4)

8 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Apologies; you likely need a Proofhub account to see the problem.

Last working version of St 55 was 2022.12.16:

image.thumb.png.2e0b766bce597fb36ab1b59c6002cfc4.png

Version 2022.12.24 shows a blank task screen:

image.thumb.png.215960080f5f285caa9227b956be5c1a.png

It's likely you need more debugging info; let me know.

please check the javascript error console to see if there is some error.

but if it fails with 20221224 and up, it could be Martok's changes causing that.

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

FreeCap is a similar, FREE, software... Sadly, development has been discontinued at version 3.18
(original author's site has been taken down since) ; review below: 

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/route-all-internet-software-and-game-connection-through-open-proxy-servers/

4 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Edit: Proxycfg didn't do the trick, but FreeCap did. I'm activated and (hopefully) getting my $37 worth.

Happy for you :thumbup and glad my mention proved helpful :P ...

3 hours ago, roytam1 said:

but if it fails with 20221224 and up, it could be Martok's changes causing that.

Will do, time permitting. I appreciate your patience!

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Just an idea! What about establishing a VPN connection to circumvent ForcePoint's censoring? If a VPN connection is established, all @roytam1's browser with their own TLS 1.3 clients (set to No Proxy, of course) use this connection. Maybe, OE Classic, too.  :dubbio: ForcePoint actually shouldn't notice a connection to www.oeclassic.com via VPN.

Although my immediate problem has been solved, that's a good idea. My proxy solution has worked for a long time, but with all the ch-ch-ch-changes at the office lately, I can't be sure it will continue to do so. But it seems likely that ForcePoint would also block connections to public VPNs, so I'd probably have to set up my own (possibly at home). Doable, but I'll wait until it becomes necessary.

16 hours ago, luweitest said:

I'd like to mention a FreeCap alternative: SocksCap64

... Thanks :) ; at least a certain MSFN member ;) doesn't frequent this thread, because it appears "socksifying" apps have been developed mostly by the Russians and Chinese (probably to circumvent state-implemented web censorship :P) ; but that is not the gist of my post...

One of the hosters SocksCap64 is distributed through is MEGA:

https://mega.nz/folder/qBoD2BiB#BZbHB1tetB79SAvJEoVlLw

Since my daily driver is Serpent 52, I loaded that link there and all 3 initial stages (Requesting folder data, Receiving folder data, Decrypting folder data) completed fine, with the page loading as expected; however, when clicking the green "Download all as ZIP" button, the download attempt invariably fails :(, claiming a "Temporary error, retrying": 

eR5O9UF.png

(you've guessed it, "retrying" doesn't succeed :realmad: )

The same thing happens when using latest Serpent 55.0.0 :( (doesn't come as a surprise to me) ...

To exclude any interference caused by my "dirty" profile, I tested this in a new St52 profile, too:

AKN7Sgj.png

It appears "upstream" have been made aware 5 days ago, but nothing of practical value posted there, yet...
AIUI, MEGA first downloads data as a blob stored in RAM, and it then offers to save the full download to disk...
It worked in St52 the last time I used it, ca. a month ago... Having MEGA currently broken in UXP is a "bummer", because I do use the service often...
@roytam1, could you please investigate/offer some insight/workaround? ;)

FWIW, I had to use 360EEv12 (Ch78-based) to fetch from MEGA and it worked OK the first time :sneaky: (Ch78 being quite "old" by now, hopefully the UXP-breakage isn't related to some "exotic" Javascript being recently implemented by MEGA...).

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Thanks :) ; at least a certain MSFN member ;) doesn't frequent this thread, because it appears "socksifying" apps have been developed mostly by the Russian and Chinese (probably to circumvent state-implemented web censorship :P) ; but that is not the gist of my post...

:thumbup:buehehe:

22 hours ago, roytam1 said:

To minimize clutter from add-ons, I had to do this with a clean profile. Ugh. I didn't realize how much I rely on Classic Theme Restorer!

Error console shows a large number of "unreachable code after return statement" warnings:

image.thumb.png.a954052372e6592b5dcddc54a90e6457.png

Also a few "Expected one argument" errors, with no context to help locate the error:

image.thumb.png.84c011e88b4bc870049f354b55b67a66.png

Edited by Mathwiz

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Thanks :) ; at least a certain MSFN member ;) doesn't frequent this thread, because it appears "socksifying" apps have been developed mostly by the Russians and Chinese (probably to circumvent state-implemented web censorship :P) ; but that is not the gist of my post...

One of the hosters SocksCap64 is distributed through is MEGA:

https://mega.nz/folder/qBoD2BiB#BZbHB1tetB79SAvJEoVlLw

Since my daily driver is Serpent 52, I loaded that link there and all 3 initial stages (Requesting folder data, Receiving folder data, Decrypting folder data) completed fine, with the page loading as expected; however, when clicking the green "Download all as ZIP" button, the download attempt invariably fails :(, claiming a "Temporary error, retrying": 

eR5O9UF.png

(you've guessed it, "retrying" doesn't succeed :realmad: )

The same thing happens when using latest Serpent 55.0.0 :( (doesn't come as a surprise to me) ...

To exclude any interference caused by my "dirty" profile, I tested this in a new St52 profile, too:

AKN7Sgj.png

It appears "upstream" have been made aware 5 days ago, but nothing of practical value posted there, yet...
AIUI, MEGA first downloads data as a blob stored in RAM, and it then offers to save the full download to disk...
It worked in St52 the last time I used it, ca. a month ago... Having MEGA currently broken in UXP is a "bummer", because I do use the service often...
@roytam1, could you please investigate/offer some insight/workaround? ;)

FWIW, I had to use 360EEv12 (Ch78-based) to fetch from MEGA and it worked OK the first time :sneaky: (Ch78 being quite "old" by now, hopefully the UXP-breakage isn't related to some "exotic" Javascript being recently implemented by MEGA...).

This is above my head but I perked up my curiosity, not really for myself but for others that need privacy when discussing sensitive topics.

Same VistaLover and had to use 360 but I've not a clue how to use this, yet.

Thank you for the recommendation and I'm willing to learn ... sometimes willing but not always able.

Edited by XPerceniol

On 1/3/2023 at 8:51 PM, Mathwiz said:

Proxycfg didn't do the trick, but FreeCap did. I'm activated and (hopefully) getting my $37 worth.

I have tested FreeCap and SocksCap64 for suitability. I set up ProxHTTPSProxy as the proxy server and Iceape-UXP as the program that should exclusively use this proxy server via FreeCap or SocksCap64. The results were very different. FreeCap works with a local proxy like ProxHTTPSProxy more badly than well, SocksCap64 on the other hand has no problems with a local proxy like ProxHTTPSProxy and and works perfectly together with such a proxy. Therefore, my recommendation is definitely SocksCap64. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

This actually doesn't look like a JS thing but rather a cipher incompatibility, as at least some Mega download servers seem to be for some reason using TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 exclusively :blink: and Firefox only enabled it (and TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) with bug 1638369  in version 78. Seems trivial for @roytam1 to implement, so probably not a problem for long :) (if this is all there is to it).

Edited by mixit

Hey @roytam1.  Are your Serpent builds on par with the new Basilisk builds or Pale Moon 30x builds?  I only ask because I see that your versions of New Mon only report as 28x.  I wasn't sure if a different version numbering was in effect or if you just backport security updates.

25 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Hey @roytam1.  Are your Serpent builds on par with the new Basilisk builds or Pale Moon 30x builds?  I only ask because I see that your versions of New Mon only report as 28x.  I wasn't sure if a different version numbering was in effect or if you just backport security updates.

I am also wondering the same and if Serpent 55 is on par - something makes me think he only backports on his versions the security updates that even apply, but I hope I'm wrong. 638221445_Serpent55.thumb.JPG.2c92a5d18fae5290f7c72bd9d0bc46ef.JPG

My Serpent 55 is 4.0.4.8297 [the latest build id: 20220919083302]

Please keep us posted as I realize you do need to use webrtc (I think).

Take care.

EDIT:

I've been having more success with Moebius now (with my online games and streaming movies/shows) over Serpent 52, but I'm trying to recall whether or now Basilisk Dev also took over Moebius. I could be confused.

Edited by XPerceniol

Happy New Year @Jody Thornton :)

This has come up before, not sure if it was just you, but:

Latest Serpent 52.9.0 build is more up-to-date compared to the official Basilisk build (under a new maintainer now, Basilisk-Dev); last release of Basilisk was on Nov 4th 2022, I sense a new release is imminent...

Latest New Moon 28 build is more-up-to-date compared to the last official Pale Moon release (v31.4.2), though a new PM release should be imminent (v32.0.0?) ...

appVersion has nothing to do in these cases (and I've explained that in the past, too), it's the actual source code used to build the releases that matters...

Roytam1 cherry-picks all feature enhancements from the upstream platform (UXP by MCP) and upstream applications (PM by MCP and Basilisk by Basilisk-Dev) and merges them into his UXP fork - security patches come via the MCP and/or Mozilla repos...

A few upstream features/commits are not being adopted, because they are incompatible with the OSes roytam1 targets; others (like the JPEG-X decoder) are not compatible with the compiler (MS VS2015) currently employed to build his releases...

As for Serpent 55.0.0(/moebius), there's nothing "upstream" now to compare it to, is there? Roytam1 just tries to keep that "close" to his UXP offerings...

@XPerceniol : Please, just stop examining "file versions"; these mean nothing... A certain exe's/dll's "file version" only changes when a full re-compilation takes place from scratch (what's called "clobber"); this is time and energy consuming and it's to be avoided in weekly releases... Only those few files that get changed and rebuilt come with "newer" file versions...

The latest St55 (32-bit) build is "basilisk55-win32-git-20221231-7637d8917-xpmod.7z"; update to it, if you haven't already; its buildID should be 20221230020814 (Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Build ID) ...

To ALL: Source code repos for Roytam1's browsers are public and accessible on GitHub (links in the "weekly releases" posts); it's all "transparent" there, if you take a minute or two to read committed code and compare it to the upstream repos... That's what I do...
Disclaimer: I'm not a coder myself... :P

Edited by VistaLover