My Browser Builds (Part 4)

11 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

They did send me my license code, but when I tried to activate OE Classic, it tried to connect to the Internet, and failed.
I don't know which site it's trying to connect to, but it's evidently blocked by ForcePoint (our company's Internet censorware).

It probably tries to connect to OE Classic' s Activation Server, a now popular method for activating payware; the AS checks the validity of used license code (being legitimately acquired/"whitelisted" and not being shared beyond the sanctioned number of different devices/installations); should be easy to discover the hostname/IP of the Activation Server it tries to connect to via a MITM proxy; I suppose software like ProxHTTPsProxy could be used for that task...
You probably want an "off-line" activation method for your work copy, but the author may respond, and rightly so, that such a method hasn't been provisioned for an app (e-mail client) that has to connect to the web for its intended (premium) functions...

FWIW, their order page promises "instant" ;) access (in bold) to the premium features :angry: ...

https://www.oeclassic.com/order

Immediately following the order, you'll receive an email with license info which you use to instantly access full version and all the benefits listed below.

Edited by VistaLover

On 12/31/2022 at 8:44 AM, soggi said:

BTW it's always a good idea to have a back-up!

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It's a one-way thing and the only guaranteed way back is with a backup.

Agreed! :thumbup ;)

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

There are registry settings specifying how exactly should the associated program be invoked, so you can put whatever arguments you need there.
Does shell->open->command ring any bells?

... Right :yes: ... But "10 years ago or more", besides me having a lot more hair on my head :( and less fat in my body ;) :whistle:, I was a lot less tech savvy than now; "touching" the registry, for whatever reason, was considered by me (after the advice given by many IT-literate people at the time) as a serious "faux pas"... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Yes, you both @Mathwiz and @VistaLover were correct. https://www.wetv.com/

Worked up until last month, oh well, still have a lot of movie and tv sites (for now). WeTV does work on 360 V13 and DC Browser.

YES, WeTV.com works here too, in 360Chrome latest 13.5.1030 r7reg build and DCBrowser too, with UltraSurf VPN, and allowing some positions in uBlock. Works too in Basilisk 55 Moebius...

Edited by msfntor

On 1/1/2023 at 5:37 AM, Mathwiz said:

Yes, you have to move or copy the profile folder to its new location manually. That's why I said an advance warning would have been nice. But since it wasn't an intentional change....

No, this is not what I would do... So I would have two copies of the same profile(s) which diverge more and more in the future, if I would copy the NM28 profiles to NM27. Or...I would have to copy the profiles always when I want to use the other version - extremely inconvenient. An advanced warning would we good in case of the separation of the profiles would be a final intended decision.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:37 AM, Mathwiz said:

I see what you're saying: you want to use the same profile for both, so you needed it changed back. Which @roytam1 has now done, so you're OK.

For @RainyShadow and me, who want separate profiles, your shortcut method will work, but it's rather brittle; e.g., if I have shortcuts both in my Start menu and on my desktop, I have to change them all. (Or, I suppose they could be one-line .bat files instead of shortcuts, with the shortcuts pointing to the .bat files.) For the "default browser" issue @VistaLover mentioned, I suppose you could give the default browser the default profile, and use shortcuts (possibly along with a .bat file) to force the other browser to use its own profile - as long as you remember to redo everything if you change default browsers - and let's not even bring up what happens if you use the Open With browser extension!

That's why @RainyShadow suggested checking another location for profiles.ini. You wouldn't have to use it, so things would still be back to normal for you, but we'd have a way to have separate default profiles even though they're back in the same folder now. The only thing is, I don't know how hard that would be to code.

There is no other way to satisfy both sides, I think.

So you have to change something in one line of four shortcuts (one time only, not every time you're using the other version) - this is much more easier then copying profiles whenever you want to use the other version (NM27/28). You also don't need any .bat to server your requirements. If you want to start NM27 with it's dedicated profile, click the NM27 shortcut - if you want to start NM28 with it's dedicated profile, click the NM28 shortcut. The issue @VistaLover mentioned didn't occur to me in the last years when I was using Nm27/28, as mentioned above - else I wouldn't suggest this method. In conclusion the "shortcut method" I described above is a good deal, I would think. :dubbio:

23 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

A few quick postscripts to this saga:

1. First, Serpent 55 (thus presumably all UXP browsers as well: Serpent 52, NM 28, IceApe, etc.) work with Office 365's Webmail page, so that may be the easiest option for XP users. It's certainly the cheapest!
  2. Second, paying the OE Classic authors $37 wasn't the end of the story, at least for me. They did send me my license code, but when I tried to activate OE Classic, it tried to connect to the Internet, and failed. I don't know which site it's trying to connect to, but it's evidently blocked by ForcePoint (our company's Internet censorware). I have a proxy server set up to bypass ForcePoint, but naturally, OE Classic doesn't seem to honor the system proxy settings! :realmad::rolleyes: So I couldn't activate OE Classic and get rid of that damn ad in outgoing emails. I emailed the author but have yet to receive a reply. If they don't come up with a solution, I'll have to ask for a refund.
  3. I assume the purpose of OE Classic accessing the Internet is to ensure the same license code can't be used to activate more than one copy. That makes OE Classic considerably more expensive: if I need a home copy, a work copy, and a laptop copy, that's $111; quite a bit steeper than it sounded at $37! So even if they do come up with a solution for #2, I may still ask for a refund and just use #1 instead. Or I could activate it on XP but use (free) Mozilla Thunderbird for the other two PCs.

OK, so OE Classic isn't a good replacement for Outlook Express... <_<

5 hours ago, shelby said:

Is there a chance to make browsers for nt/9x windows?

There are browsers for Win9x/NT4, actually:

- K-Meleon 1.5.4 (2022/12/08)
- RetroZilla 2.2 (2022/12/08)
- RZ browser 2.2 (2022/12/08)

"RetroZilla" is a suite (like SeaMonkey), "RZ browser" is just the browser. Of course, their engine (especially when it comes to JavaScript) is aged, but they support TLS 1.2. They are available via @roytam1's blog (https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/) or via my website (authorized mirror, https://soggi.org/misc/tools.htm).

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

6 hours ago, shelby said:

Is there a chance to make browsers for nt/9x windows?

I'm feeling like it's a 50/50 chance from me... One of my personal projects I have is to get Firefox 3.0 compiling on Visual C++ 6.0 using the "Windows" GFX toolkit. Because it takes a long time to modify the code in a way I feel most comfortable with, which means reverting https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177805

I've been building several Firefox 3.0 alpha and beta versions. I recently tried a modified build of Firefox 3.0a5, but it doesn't display a menu frame when clicking on the menu bar. I might try to add Windows 9x/NT 4.0 support if I can make the menu frame display since I'm on the hook for that anyway. My new topic/thread (which I will use more as I get closer to a Firefox 3.0 Visual C++ 6.0 and Windows 95/NT 4.0 compatible build) is here...

My temporary GitHub repository (only used for Firefox 3.0 Visual C++ 6.0 mods) is also here... https://github.com/ClassicNick/Fx3.0a-VC6-mod

OT: Today, it has come to my attention (quite by accident, TBH ;) ) that an Eclipse forums member has appropriated :angry: my MSFN forums "username" (VistaLover): 

https://board.eclipse.cx/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=239

Until one specifically visits that member's profile page, it isn't clear/evident (by simply reading posts of him[?]) that "I" have no affiliation whatsoever with that member there; of course, I don't claim any copyright over my MSFN username :whistle:, just thought I'd make it crystal clear to those MSFN members happening to have an account at Eclipse (some sharing the exact screen name between the two) that I am not that member :rolleyes:...

Apologies for the OT, hope you all have a great New Year... :)

Edited by VistaLover

25 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Apologies for the OT, hope you all have a great New Year... :)

Happy New Year! I hope you also have the same!

25 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

an Eclipse forums member has appropriated :angry: my MSFN forums "username" (VistaLover): 

https://board.eclipse.cx/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=239

Yeah, that Eclipse forum member is @legacyfan.

Edited by mina7601

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Happy New Year! I hope you also have the same!

Yeah, that Eclipse forum member is @legacyfan.

You know what is funny,

<OT>

I joined over there when this forum was down and only made 1 posting and woke up the next day and can not log in. I'm hidden under the spoiler but no account. Lol......

https://board.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?p=2226&hilit=xperceniol&sid=4ab29fb0a4500812723ee2a529c0e8c8#p2226

I'd have to check with @K4sum1 and see, but, actually 3 forums might to too much for me to handle seeing I'm already struggling to leave the house - maybe it was for the best. But I've not been even reading and didn't even know they were back up until now. Being tied to the computer only aggravates my (awful) agoraphobia.

Sal

Edited by XPerceniol

14 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

I wonder who is who of same handle name in BA.

that's one of my several abandon accounts I made over the past few year(from my younger days on here when I was not very smart I never realized I made them all under the same username)

Edited by legacyfan

18 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

that's one of my several abandon accounts I made over the past few year(from my younger days on here when I was not very smart I never realized I made them all under the same username)

oh really? the account seems quite new. https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=471317#p471317

Edited by roytam1