My Browser Builds (Part 4)

13 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Does make me wonder, though, why the heck the Goog added performance navigation timing function calls to Google Translate's Javascript!

The usual reasons :realmad:

1. Increase the amount of user-info (telemetry) they're harvesting via their "spyware" browser application,
2. undermine the competition and break older (aka "legacy") browser platforms at the same time...

See upstream #2053

There were apparently recent changes to have more data being passed back and forth with measure(), Firefox 103+.
This is apparently being pushed without fallback in Google Translate.

Google's implementation of the measure() function (measureOptions parameter) requires at minimum Fx103; with 102 being the current FxESR (and the one Win7/8.1 uses will, purportedly, be downshifted to once Mozilla drop support for these OSes), GT should be, as of Dec 6th, also broken in latest FxESR (but can't test this myself now ;)); hopefully, Mozilla will backport the necessary changes to the Fx102 codebase, too :dubbio:...

Moonchild did say he'd have a go at implementing similar changes in UXP (can't backport the code since UXP doesn't use Rust). Feodor2 might be able to backport the code to Mypal 68, but even if so I'd recommend making the pref default to false. Well, that is, unless the Goog pushes another change to require the function; I wouldn't put it past them!

I almost asked a repetitive question ... toggled dom.enable_performance_navigation_timing = false

Sorry, hate to say it, YT is awful. Upon going to youtube it hangs for a terrifying 50 minutes.

EDIT:

Sorry, 50 seconds in high priority because its always hanging on.

Please wait.

Correction:

Just tested with last weeks new moon and the previous week before and its not 75 seconds and not worth it to even both with YT on new moon.

Edited by XPerceniol

@roytam1 (hoping your fracture is healing nicely :P): 

I can't seem to be able to open 

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/

in latest Serpent 52.9.0

yRHqMuf.png

This is a fresh testing profile, at default settings... OTOH, 360EE, IE9 (!) and 2018-era FxESR 52.9.1 have no issues with it :sneaky: ... FWIW, none of the 3 certificates in the chain have expired :dubbio:

vsmvhjO.png

and SSL Labs give the "www.ldoceonline.com" hostname a superb A+ overall rating (only TLSv1.2 supported by that server) ...

Edit: Latest Serpent 55.0.0 exhibits the exact same issue :( ...

Edited by VistaLover
additional details

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I can't seem to be able to open 

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/

in latest Serpent 52.9.0

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Latest Serpent 55.0.0 exhibits the exact same issue :( ...

Damned they be! :realmad: They plainly reject the UA sent by Serpent 52/55 (the Goanna and/or Basilisk slices) ...

Edit: It's the "Goanna/*" UA slice they really object to :angry: ...

The site loads fine via spoofing a "pure" Firefox UA, e.g. :

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0"

Edited by VistaLover

Sorry, a bit late due to Christmas...

The mirror of latest ArcticFox 40, BNavigator 0.9, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe 52, IceDove 52, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28, RetroZilla, RZ browser and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20221224 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20221224 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20221224 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20221224 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20221224 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20221224 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20221224 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20221224 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20221224 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

-------------------------------------------

On 12/25/2022 at 1:31 AM, Mathwiz said:

I agree, and it's actually worse: if it's a long message, the ads aren't necessarily added to the end as a kind of mandatory signature, but instead are inserted a few lines down from the top, interrupting the flow of the text! That's completely unacceptable for anything beyond the most casual correspondence, so paying up is really mandatory.

I had to laugh at one of the limitations: The spelling checker checks the first word only! What's the point of that? Might as well have just left the spelling checker disabled in the free version, if it has to be that crippled.

OMG - even inside the most casual correspondence this is unacceptable! The first impression counts - so the check of the first word is extremely important! LOL

On 12/25/2022 at 1:31 AM, Mathwiz said:

I don't know if that was intentional (and a warning would've been nice so NM 27 users could move their profile folders beforehand), but it's definitely useful if one wants to use both NM 27 and NM 28 on their PC. Otherwise both NMs would try to share the same profile, which is not likely to work out well!

Serpent 55 also uses "Moonchild" so those of us with both Serpent 52 and 55 have benefited from separate profiles since the beginning.

I had no problems using the same profiles with NM27 and NM28 (beside some expected due to different code base). Hm... have to check if this doesn't work anymore now!? I always just replace the program folders.

Edit:
OK, I just tested NM27 right now and it couldn't access the profile which it's shortcut was linked to before because it now links to ..\Moonchild\Pale Moon\.. instead of ..\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\.. - see screenshot below.

kind regards
soggi

NM27_22-12-24_Profile.png

Edited by soggi

2 hours ago, soggi said:

OK, I just tested NM27 right now and it couldn't access the profile which it's shortcut was linked to before because it now links to ..\Moonchild\Pale Moon\.. instead of ..\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\.. - see screenshot below.

It is NOT an intentional change, upstream pushed some changes that removing some PM changes which effectively/finally changed vendor name in resulting binary.

a fix that reverts such changes is pushed to tree and will be available with old vendor name in next build.

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Same in official Pale Moon

... As I added later, it's because of:

On 12/28/2022 at 4:25 AM, VistaLover said:

Edit: It's the "Goanna/*" UA slice they really object to :angry: ...

with Goanna versions being different between Pale Moon (5.2.1, but recently changed to 6.0.0 in official UXP master) and the UXP forks (4.8.6) discussed in this thread... :)

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, roytam1 said:

It is NOT an intentional change, upstream pushed some changes that removing some PM changes which effectively/finally changed vendor name in resulting binary.

a fix that reverts such changes is pushed to tree and will be available with old vendor name in next build.

Thank you @roytam1 :)

9 hours ago, roytam1 said:

So, after just splitting my NM27 and NM28 profiles apart, i wll have to join them together again in a single profiles.ini for the next build? 

Honestly, i prefer the current (separate profiles) way. 

Could you at least add a check for profiles.ini in the executable folder, so it gets used instead (if found)?

Edited by RainyShadow
typo

18 hours ago, roytam1 said:

+1 @roytam1 :thumbup

8 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

So, after just splitting my NM27 and NM28 profiles apart, i wll have to join them together again in a single profiles.ini for the next build? 

Honestly, i prefer the current (separate profiles) way. 

Why not just add the new NM27 profile to the existing profiles.ini and if they have the same name just give one of them another name?

kind regards
soggi

4 hours ago, soggi said:

Why not just add the new NM27 profile to the existing profiles.ini and if they have the same name just give one of them another name?

The main issue is, if you have both NM27 and NM28, you have to pick the right profile on each start because they share the same profiles.ini file. What if the wrong browser gets accidentally started (through a file association, misclick, etc.)?

When you have the NM27 profile set as default, simply running NM28 will use that profile too and mess it up. 

When each major version has it's own separate set of profiles, there is no risk of one browser screwing with the profile of another.

Edited by RainyShadow

You don't have to pick up the right profile with each start - just create two shortcuts with the right targets and put them to your desktop / start menu / quick launch bar, f.e.:

target: C:\program files\NewMoon27\palemoon.exe -no-remote -p default
target: C:\program files\NewMoon28\palemoon.exe -no-remote -p default2

So you still have a choice, but I don't see a way to circumvent different profile folders and still use the same profile in NM27 and NM28.

kind regards
soggi

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough, i didn't mean to 

9 hours ago, soggi said:

use the same profile in NM27 and NM28.

I want to prevent this.

What i would like is for both browsers to not interfere with each other, to behave like really separate browsers. 

The issue until now was that they share the profile index file profiles.ini - whichever profile is set as default in there loads regardless if you started NM27 or NM28. 

I mostly use NM27, and start NM28 only to test something, if i have an issue with some site, or if i want to quickly check a page and close the browser (here both NM27 and Serpent52 have over 150 tabs and start pretty slowly). 

The way i start NM28 is by using the -P parameter, which brings up the profile manager. This also means that i have to do the same the next time i start NM27.  If the wrong browser gets launched accidentally, it will (most likely) mess up the current default profile.

Last builds fixed this by making each browser have its own profiles.ini file. Now @roytam1 says this will be reverted in the next builds (if i didn't  misunderstand something). Ugh...

As i said previously, one way to have your cake and eat it would be to allow a copy of profiles.ini in the same folder as palemoon.exe to take priority over the file buried in "C:\Documents and Settings\". 

Hopefully, Roy gets the time (and desire) to implement this.

The only issue is if Palemoon is in "C:\Program Files\", on newer Windows you would need to start it as admin to let it modify that file. 

But, since this is optional (and not needed for a single NM2x browser), you can just let the browser use the regular file in "C:\Users\".

Edited by RainyShadow