My Browser Builds (Part 4)

Noticed that there is a new build (New Moon 28 Win32 IA32) which didn't exist before and which isn't highlighted especially in your post...so I just noticed it accidentally because there are 21 instead of 20 new files. Now the hardcore minimum XP mates have a new browser which needs more resources. If I had the time, I would test it on Intel Pentium (MMX), Intel Pentium II, AMD K5/K6/K6-2/K6-2+ or Cyrix 6x86(MX) Edit: Intel Pentium Pro/Pentium II, AMD Athlon (K7/K75/Thunderbird) or Cyrix 6x86MX [those CPUs with CMOV AND w/o SSE] from my hardware collection... :cool: :crazy: :rolleyes:

The mirror of latest ArcticFox 40, BNavigator 0.9, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe 52, IceDove 52, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28, RetroZilla, RZ browser and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20221210 build
- added latest Firefox 45ESR 20221210 builds
- added latest IceApe 52 20221210 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20221210 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20221210 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20221210 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20221210 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20221210 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20221210 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20221210 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

40 minutes ago, soggi said:

Now the hardcore minimum XP mates have a new browser which needs more resources. If I had the time, I would test it on Intel Pentium (MMX), Intel Pentium II, AMD K5/K6/K6-2/K6-2+ or Cyrix 6x86(MX) from my hardware collection... :cool: :crazy: :rolleyes:

check CMOV section in FAQ:

P-MMX and K5/K6* won't run them unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

(Note: Consecutive posts due to different subjects of each.)

I have a somewhat odd request. In fact I'm not even sure if this is the right forum, let alone the right thread, but here goes:

I need an XP email client that supports this newfangled "OAuth 2.0" authorization protocol. I checked @roytam1's IceApe, but it doesn't appear to support what I need.

Reason: today my employer forcibly "updated" my company email account to Micro$oft Office 365 (a glorified Exchange server), which (as of a couple of months ago) no longer supports "legacy" email authorization protocols like STARTTLS for (turn up the volume now) SECURITY!!!!!! Naturally, this renders my beloved Windows Live Mail useless; I'm forced to use Outlook (ugh) on my Windows 11 (ugh) laptop (ugh).

A Web search revealed that Thunderbird 78 and newer would support OAuth 2.0 and let me connect to my email account, but I'm pretty sure that's well past the last XP version of T-Bird. IceApe or IceDove was my last, best hope, but it doesn't look like it'll do the job (unless I'm missing something).

Edit: Looks like I was missing something after all. Found an old thread regarding Yahoo Mail that claims IceDove does support OAuth 2.0 after all. Problem is, on the Server Settings page, OAuth2 isn't one of the listed authentication protocols.

Edit 2: In desperation I downloaded MailNews and found it does list OAuth2 as one of the supported protocols, but I haven't figured out how to configure it yet. Keep getting the pop-up "Could not connect to mail server outlook.office365.com; the connection was refused." That is the correct server for Office 365 so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any guidance on how to set this up?

Hello @Mathwiz! MailNews is based on Interlink Mail & News from Binary Outcast. I read on their website that they seem to have removed the protocol OAuth2 from their email client. Here is the respective link: https://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/release-notes/
Of course, this does not necessarily mean that MailNews no longer supports this protocol, either. It's just a theory! I don't know what @roytam1 exactly did when he built his latest releases of MailNews.
Some weeks ago, I was also looking for an email client and found the program OE Classic which is supposed to support the OAuth2 protocol as well: https://www.oeclassic.com/
This is the one I'll try the next time. Maybe, it is what you are looking for.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

41 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @roytam1! Do the latest versions of IceDove and MailNews still support the protocol OAuth2:dubbio:

I didn't remove it from tree or disable it with compile-time switch so OAuth2 should be still available in MN and IA/ID.

for ID/IA, OAuth2 front-end code is unimplemented so only MN can do OAuth2.

Edited by roytam1

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

(Note: Consecutive posts due to different subjects of each.)

I have a somewhat odd request. In fact I'm not even sure if this is the right forum, let alone the right thread, but here goes:

I need an XP email client that supports this newfangled "OAuth 2.0" authorization protocol. I checked @roytam1's IceApe, but it doesn't appear to support what I need.

Reason: today my employer forcibly "updated" my company email account to Micro$oft Office 365 (a glorified Exchange server), which (as of a couple of months ago) no longer supports "legacy" email authorization protocols like STARTTLS for (turn up the volume now) SECURITY!!!!!! Naturally, this renders my beloved Windows Live Mail useless; I'm forced to use Outlook (ugh) on my Windows 11 (ugh) laptop (ugh).

A Web search revealed that Thunderbird 78 and newer would support OAuth 2.0 and let me connect to my email account, but I'm pretty sure that's well past the last XP version of T-Bird. IceApe or IceDove was my last, best hope, but it doesn't look like it'll do the job (unless I'm missing something).

Edit: Looks like I was missing something after all. Found an old thread regarding Yahoo Mail that claims IceDove does support OAuth 2.0 after all. Problem is, on the Server Settings page, OAuth2 isn't one of the listed authentication protocols.

Edit 2: In desperation I downloaded MailNews and found it does list OAuth2 as one of the supported protocols, but I haven't figured out how to configure it yet. Keep getting the pop-up "Could not connect to mail server outlook.office365.com; the connection was refused." That is the correct server for Office 365 so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any guidance on how to set this up?

Unfortunately, I no longer have a way to use Windows XP to be able to help you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pop-imap-and-smtp-settings-8361e398-8af4-4e97-b147-6c6c4ac95353

I just registered for this thread.

First I want to express my highest respect and gratitude for the work you're doing in keeping older OSes alive and somewhat compatible to the modern web.
I'm using you're builds many years on nearly all of my machines, mainly XP and also on older CPUs.

Due to javascript demands I was forced this year to switch to edge on my main PCs using win7 to use some important sites.

Just now I was greeted with the prospect of EOL for Edge on win7 and I find myself again hitting the obsolence  wall. F**k M$. So back to the basics and this let me here again trying to find out what it would take to improve usability of your builds. I checked using F12 and found "CustomElements not defined"

Long story short: What would it take to implement CustomElements in JS?

More and more sites use it and let our browsers falter.

Thanks so far.

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @roytam1! Do the latest versions of IceDove and MailNews still support the protocol OAuth2:dubbio:

9 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I didn't remove it from tree or disable it with compile-time switch so OAuth2 should be still available in MN and IA/ID.

for ID/IA, OAuth2 front-end code is unimplemented so only MN can do OAuth2.

Quite by accident, I got it to work! I went back to IceDove and suddenly, it started working. I had the protocol just set to "Normal Password," so there must be something about the interaction with the Office 365 mail server that automatically triggers OAuth2. Then I went back to IceApe, set it up there, and it worked there too! I haven't gone back and tried MailNews again, but I bet the trick is simply to select "Normal Password" rather than explicitly selecting "OAuth2," which I assume is only needed for things like Yahoo Mail. Here are the settings I used in IceApe/IceDove that worked:

image.png.671c3bfe816a1a025f526356a5e170f6.png

image.png.90ad7667b1a2f4abf0491e665158fa24.png

The user name needs to be the full email address, including the domain, so Office 365 knows which server to direct the client to in order to validate my password.

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Unfortunately, I no longer have a way to use Windows XP to be able to help you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pop-imap-and-smtp-settings-8361e398-8af4-4e97-b147-6c6c4ac95353

At the moment, neither do I. My XP system is at work, so I've been downloading and testing these email clients on my Windows 7 home system.

Obviously the "acid test" will come Monday when I return to work and try to set it up on IceApe on Windows XP.

1 hour ago, Alahndro said:

What would it take to implement CustomElements in JS?

It appears MCP is working on adding it to UXP (New Moon 28, Serpent 52). It's partially implemented and @roytam1 has been adding the fixes to Serpent 55 too. This was from just two months ago:

So CustomElements may get finished. That said, it's a big job and there's no guarantee it'll be complete anytime soon. In the meantime, you can turn to the Palefill add-on to fill in some of what's missing for some Web sites.

On your Win 7 system(s) you have more options: in addition to Edge, you have Chrome, modern Firefox, official Pale Moon, official Basilisk (now under new ownership), Waterfox and Waterfox Classic, etc. I assume Chrome and Edge are both going EOL but the last Win 7 version will still work with modern web sites for some time.

Edited by Mathwiz

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I assume Chrome and Edge are both going EOL

Correct, EOL is on February 2023 (if you saw this discussion), but it's not just Chrome and Edge (which is Chromium-based, so, not a surprise it's going EOL like Chrome), it's also for other Chromium-based browsers like Opera, Vivaldi, Brave and many others. Can't speak for Yandex though, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to support Windows 7 for 1 additional year (that is, until 2024), like they did with Windows XP and Vista. (Google ended Chrome support for XP and Vista since April 2016, whereas Yandex ended support of their browser for XP and Vista since April 2017)

Edited by mina7601

Update 1: I got Firefox 3.0b1 building on Visual C++ 6.0 SP5 using the Windows GFX toolkit, but since I didn't revert the unit measurement definitions in "gfx/public/nsIDeviceContext.h", the menu bar takes up the entire browser window. https://github.com/ClassicNick/Fx3.0a-VC6-mod/releases/tag/Fx3.0b1-Buggy-VC6-Mod

2005-01-20 06.08.21.jpg

Update 2: I decided to try building Firefox 1.0, and Mozilla 1.4.4, and Phoenix 0.5/Classilla 9.3.3, and I'm still struggling to make it out of the config/mkdepend directory. For reference, I'm building in the source tree using Visual C++ 5.0, Cygwin easy 2007-03-21 https://github.com/whitone/cygwin-easy/releases/tag/2007.03.21

2005-01-20 12.12.51.jpg

Edited by ClassicNick

1 hour ago, ClassicNick said:

Update 2: I decided to try building Firefox 1.0, and Mozilla 1.4.4, and Phoenix 0.5/Classilla 9.3.3, and I'm still struggling to make it out of the config/mkdepend directory. For reference, I'm building in the source tree using Visual C++ 5.0, Cygwin easy 2007-03-21 https://github.com/whitone/cygwin-easy/releases/tag/2007.03.21

2005-01-20 12.12.51.jpg

VC5 knows nothing about PDB, so you have to remove those switches from makefiles.

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

VC5 knows nothing about PDB, so you have to remove those switches from makefiles.

Thank you for the response! I tried to compile Firefox 1.5.0.12 on Visual C++ 5.0 so I could see where the compilation errors are, and I struggle greatly with "xpcom/ds/nsHashPropertyBag.h" and "xpcom/ds/nsHashPropertyBag.cpp". Compiling them as is results in an unresolved external. Trying to use "xpcom/ds/nsHashtable.h", instead of "xpcom/glue/nsInterfaceHashtable.h" results in many errors relating to a conversion error from "class nsHashKey *" to "const class nsAString_internal *" if I remember correctly. Firefox 1.0 and earlier do not have those files, and Mozilla 1.4.4 relies very heavily (exclusively?) on "xpcom/ds/nsHashtable.h", so XPCOM sources will build with very little trouble on Visual C++ 5.0. Surprisingly enough, PDP switches in Makefiles in Firefox 1.5.0.12 do not cause build errors even on Visual C++ 5.0. If you could tell me how to use an object directory in Mozilla 1.4.4 and Firefox 1.0? (similar to "mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/obj-fx95-release in RetroZilla), that would be lovely.