My Browser Builds (Part 4)

Hi. I have noticed that whatsappweb allows login and kind of start to load in a fresh profile in sp52. But then ends up spiraling around just like github.  Has anyone been able to trick whatsapp into working in sp52?

11 hours ago, UCyborg said:

My test was VP9, 1080p@60FPS, I'd say % are hovering between 28% and 37% for Piped and between 36% and 47% for YouTube.

Didn't want to delete previous screencaps until you've had a chance to catch up.

I did just compare YouTube desktop web site to Piped both from a clean profile with no extensions and no Proxomitron in St52 (which is I think your default).  I did not enable e10s which would provide a better comparison to Chrome-variants.

1080p video in both and on my i7-4770 @ 3.40 GHz and 16 GB RAM, both web sites never exceed 3% CPU during 1080p video playback.

I can not "force" YouTube to exceed 3% but I can "force" Piped to run at 11-17% by switching to AV1 (which is disabled by default so even Piped prefers users not use AV1 is my guess).

I guess all I can really conclude here (and no surprise, of course) is that video playback and CPU load is heavily dependent upon the computer being used moreso than the browser being used.

And I didn't catch this until "just now", but you did specifically cite 1080p@60FPS.  By default, I do intentionally force 30FPS max so of course my standard YouTube desktop would have yielded a lower CPU load.

I didn't see a setting to force Piped to use 30FPS instead of 60FPS.  Nor did I see a way to seen what FPS the video even "is", for that matter.

22 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

edit - and could also be Chrome vs Mozilla - I posted Chrome-variant YouTube/Piped comparisons in the Mozilla-variant thread, ooops  :blushing:

And I'm posting CPU % from Win10 in a thread where most post about legacy OS experiences. :D

OK, I dusted off XP installation today, relative difference is about the same I think, though the process CPU usage % is a bit higher. Maybe just Win10 taking more for itself or other under-the-hood differences causing different readings, though I did run the browser with above normal priority, so it was the only process with higher priority on both systems.

Who knew, Pipe doesn't work on St52 from January 2022 because of one of those famous JS operators. I updated St52, still have to bring my extensions' settings and user scripts on par with Pale Moon on Win10, but that's for another time. Interesting how some of these front-ends for YouTube are less backwards-compatible than actual YouTube.

I'll write remaining thoughts in the following days, really have to sleep now.

Good night!

Edited by UCyborg

@NotHereToPlayGames (and maybe some others) - not offensive, but why you're posting all these double/triple/quadruple/infinituple posts and not just click "Edit" and edit your previous post? In case of @roytam1's build posts it's understandable (although not necessary) because of structure.

This drives me crazy/insane.... :crazy:

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

Just FYI,

Mozilla and Microsoft distrust TrustCor root certificates in their browsers.

I guess we'll have to do this manually for now in New Moon etc.:

spacer.png

(all three of them)

[Edit]

After a browser restart they'll be back in the list, but untrusted. :)

(you can check by going to `https://trustcor.com/`)

spacer.png

Edited by nicolaasjan

On 12/3/2022 at 8:12 AM, VistaLover said:

... Then the browser will NEVER fetch favicons for any tab, even during a normal browser session (i.e., not only when a previous session is being restored); do you want that (I don't, because I do want favicons in my tabs - and in my URLbar, thanks to CTR in St52) ?

In "about:config", is below boolean pref set to true ?

browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand

FHWceuB.png

Compared to hundreds of unnecessary connections lagging the browser, I'd rather disable the favicons all.

And yes, browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand is set to true, by default.

57 minutes ago, luweitest said:

Compared to hundreds of unnecessary connections lagging the browser, I'd rather disable the favicons all.

And yes, browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand is set to true, by default.

The favicons show me directly which website belongs to the respective tab. Extremely useful! And, I would never waste my time to load all tabs in my session while starting my browser, so logically, browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand is set to true. But, that's not enough. For years, I always install the extension "Lull The Tabs" to unload automatically tabs which are currently not in use and to ensure that tabs are only loaded if I click onto them. All that to minimize used system resources. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper expressif1.gif

PS: As far as I can see, your English seems to be quite good and not as bad as you claimed in my thread. :whistle:

15 hours ago, soggi said:

but why you're posting all these double/triple/quadruple/infinituple posts
and not just click "Edit" and edit your previous post?

... Due to time constraints (RL), I mostly get notified about additions to this thead via e-mail notifications (in my e-mail client, NOT browser), i.e. I don't open my browser to surf this thread as often as I used to :( ... I then click on the "Go to this Post" button only for those notifications I deem "urgent"; the rest, I'll visit when I have more spare time... :P

MSFN software ONLY sends an e-mail notification the first time a reply is submitted to the thread, not on subsequent edits of the same post :( ; while I do agree multiple consecutive posts by the same person (resembling a "chat" room ;) ) might appear somewhat "annoying" to some members, at least there are use cases, like mine, where they could actually serve a purpose :P ...

Edit: OTOH, @NotHereToPlayGames could have waited until he had concluded ALL of his tests (and generated all the relevant screenshots) and then post all his findings in one single, initial, post ;) ; no "rush" to a posting "spree" was warranted, IMHO :huh:...

Edited by VistaLover
better English?

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

like mine, where they might serve a purpose... Just me, here :P ...

Edit: OTOH, @NotHereToPlayGames could have waited until he had concluded ALL of his tests (and generated all the relevant screengrabs) and then post all his findings in one single, initial, post ;) ; no "rush" for a posting "spree" was warranted, IMHO...

Yeah, sometimes multiple posts can be useful, even if they look spammy.

Anyway, let's pass it for @NotHereToPlayGames this time.

4 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Anyway, let's pass it for @NotHereToPlayGames this time.

@mina7601! I don't think you are entitled to make such statements, especially in relation to your age. nimportequoi.gif That is solely up to the creator of this thread and the moderators or administrators. Think first, then write is my advice for you! BTW, you don't have to comment on everything. Sometimes, speech is silver, but silence is golden! d010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

43 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

That is solely up to the creator of this thread and the moderators or administrators.

Yeah, sorry, my reply above was meant as an opinion, not as a command. Apologies for not making this clear.

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The favicons show me directly which website belongs to the respective tab. Extremely useful! And, I would never waste my time to load all tabs in my session while starting my browser, so logically, browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand is set to true. But, that's not enough. For years, I always install the extension "Lull The Tabs" to unload automatically tabs which are currently not in use and to ensure that tabs are only loaded if I click onto them. All that to minimize used system resources. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper expressif1.gif

PS: As far as I can see, your English seems to be quite good and not as bad as you claimed in my thread. :whistle:

browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand should be enough; The problem is not browser fetching background tabs upon start, but fetching their favicons. Could Lull The Tabs prevent this behavior?

p.s. I do have uncertainty reading your long sentences in that thread. Maybe it's culture related?