My Browser Builds (Part 4)

10 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It doesn't seem to mind official Pale Moon user agent either, so I assume you should be able to get it working
if you use the new New Moon at least.

In NM28, discourse-based boards load the "proper" (full) version when the "User Agent Mode" is set either to
"Native" (default):

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:4.8) Goanna/20221125 PaleMoon/28.10.6a1

or "Gecko Compatibility":

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.8 PaleMoon/28.10.6a1

"Firefox Compatibility" mode:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.8 Firefox/68.0 PaleMoon/28.10.6a1

exposes a Fx 68.0 slice, which makes "discourse" trigger the "unsupported browser" header and loads the read-only, "dumbed-down" version of boards; as I posted above, "discourse" now expect at minimum Fx 91.0esr to load fully (possibly, some version between 79-90 is the exact minimum version of the release branch, but I didn't bother checking that scenario :whistle:...) .

@UCyborg :

Since you appear to be a CSS connoisseur :worship: , I have a personal request/favour to ask:

When loading a GitLab repository URL (palefill is required in UXP-based browsers), e.g.

https://gitlab.com/cleanflash/installer/-/releases/

GL now display a very wide (or, rather, tall) header :angry: , which, for me, is an unnecessary waste of (vertical) screen space...
Some months prior, it was still possible to revert to a slimmer header by manipulating a cookie (named "logged_out_marketing_header_id"), but that cookie is no longer set/effective :realmad: ...

So I'm hoping you can come up with a userstyle (CSS code) I could use inside Stylus to trim that header's height, ideally as shown below:

XmHBgQ9.png

Thanks in advance! :P

Edited by VistaLover

On 11/6/2022 at 12:01 AM, soggi said:

Can you, AstroSkipper or someone else please look how large the whole /pub/ directory is
and maybe even create a mirror FTP?

Hi - apologies for the tardy response :P; are you still unable to access

ftp://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/pub/

in your browser/FTP client? You should forget

ftp://ftp.cc.ntut.edu.tw/pub/

because that one times-out for everybody, but the first one should work :yes: !

In any case, the host doesn't provide any immediate info about the actual size of directory "pub":

2Vg7PT4.png

However, just to humour you, last night I fired up FileZilla (v3.40.0-rc2, last version to launch under Vista SP2 32-bit) and I let it overnight to sync with "ftp.dyu.edu.tw" (took some hours); here's a screengrab of the end result (GUI in Greek):

gDl8UKQ.png

As I hope you can see for yourself, remote directory "pub" contains a total of 30,445 distinct files, which amount to ca. 307.9GiB of disk space :} ; how can all of this be mirrored elsewhere just for you? :dubbio:...

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:
@-moz-document domain("gitlab.com") {
  .logged-out-marketing-header {
    --header-height: 38px;
  }
}

Thanks a bunch! :wub: I followed your logic and added one more rule to slim the header even when "logged-in":

@-moz-document domain("gitlab.com") {
  .logged-out-marketing-header {
    --header-height: 40px;
  }

.navbar-gitlab {
    --header-height: 40px;
  }
}

logged-out; 72px -> 40px :

Tj2vwvt.png

logged-in; 48px -> 40px :

eZxyQAD.png

However :dubbio:, using "Inspector" (of DevTools) I found out that once the value of  "--header-height" inside the userstyle becomes < 40px (as in your original code), that value is no longer honoured and the header's height can't be made less than 40px :o:

VvEJ2Ay.png

Unless there's a fix for that, too, I'm already heavily indebted :thumbup !

Kindest greetings :)

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I can understand you being inside mainland China makes you extra cautious/suspicious of "background" connections, still I think Pale Moon can be absolved of such wrong doing ;) ...

I am cautious about malicious software but this time it is not my point. My debugging is for the too many connections upon browser startup if there are many tabs kept, which slows the system a lot and triggers event  ID 4226 (too many TCP concurrent connections).  Thanks for the information about portal service. And the http://192.168.0.1 is just for my test convenience. You could replace it with any web page, but preferably be an HTTP rather than HTTPS, for HTTP let you know it is accessing favicon.ico file. I am curious to know others' result about this "bug", or improper behavior of browser.

First I want to say "Thanks!" @roytam1 for all these new builds released nearly every week and the permission to mirror them on my own website! Can't remember when I did that last time... :dubbio:Your work is really appreciated by all who are writing here and additionally a lot of silent users! And not to forget "Thanks!" to all supporters and contributors! :worship: :hello:

Second Sorry for posting a bit late, I'm still worn out by SARS-CoV-2 - nothing really bad, I'm just some kind of exhausted/sluggish.

Third The mirror of latest ArcticFox 40, BNavigator 0.9, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe 52, IceDove 52, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28, RetroZilla, RZ browser and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20221126 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20221126 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20221126 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20221126 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20221126 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20221126 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20221126 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20221126 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20221126 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

-------------------------------------------

On 11/25/2022 at 3:22 AM, Mathwiz said:

Thanks, @soggi. From earlier posts, it does appear that change to UXP was causing the buggy backspace/delete behavior that others complained about. Luckily, upstream added a hidden pref to revert to the old behavior, which @luweitest found:

But from the description of the change, it sounds like it really should have been website-specific, not just a browser-wide true/false pref, so it could be set to false for those websites that malfunction when the pref is set to true. But we only have the browser-wide pref. So what if you find a website that won't work unless you set it to false?

If that happens. I'd suggest modifying @AstroSkipper's latest "custom button" to toggle the above pref; then you can just switch the pref between true and false as needed.

I don't have this backspace problem myself, just thought that this input may help someone!? :)

On 11/25/2022 at 9:37 PM, XPerceniol said:

Sorry I've not been keeping up on this, just so much nonsense in real life.

I don't have this backspace issues others are seeing, but YT stays frozen for a painful 35 seconds and I was hoping this would be corrected.

yt.thumb.JPG.3eb1a432c0a82b69f83f796dae3318ac.JPG

Build ID: 20221110065722 here.

It makes no difference on the UA as I've tried just about all, but I've noticed (for some reason) Reporting as FF 62 and the videos play without (as much) jumping. Just reporting some feedback.

I have this "YT problem" too, but thought it is related to latest hot s*** YT uses to render the page. But nevertheless YT still works...yeah it's extremely slow, I know.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:55 PM, VistaLover said:

Hi - apologies for the tardy response :P; are you still unable to access

ftp://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/pub/

in your browser/FTP client? You should forget

ftp://ftp.cc.ntut.edu.tw/pub/

because that one times-out for everybody, but the first one should work :yes: !

In any case, the host doesn't provide any immediate info about the actual size of directory "pub":

2Vg7PT4.png

However, just to humour you, last night I fired up FileZilla (v3.40.0-rc2, last version to launch under Vista SP2 32-bit) and I let it overnight to sync with "ftp.dyu.edu.tw" (took some hours); here's a screengrab of the end result (GUI in Greek):

gDl8UKQ.png

As I hope you can see for yourself, remote directory "pub" contains a total of 30,445 distinct files, which amount to ca. 307.9GiB of disk space :} ; how can all of this be mirrored elsewhere just for you? :dubbio:...

After doing a reconnect to my ISP I got an IP from a completely different IP range and could connect to the former FTP with WinSCP, the ladder still fails. So my IP (range) was the problem, it just has been blocked.
This FTP is very old, has a lot of important files and I don't know how long it will be available in the future. So I begun to mirror the two directories which are important to me (/pub/Hardware/stuff/ and /pub/Hardware/vendor/) - still not finished (11.7 GiB until now), if I get 50 kb/s I can be really happy (the FTP is the slow part, not my internet connection). But nevertheless: Thank you, I really appreciate your efforts! :thumbup

BTW Welcome back!

BTW2 I would recommend WinSCP instead of FileZilla. The latest version (portable) still works under WinXP and up - you can also install WinSCP 5.15.9 (XP) / 5.17.5 (Vista) and replace the executable with the one from the latest portable version (actually 5.21.6).

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

On 11/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, VistaLover said:

In about:config, locate

network.captive-portal-service.enabled

and toggle to "false"; for good measure

This is already "false" here by default.

Does "captivedetect.canonicalURL" even work in that case? :dubbio:

[Edit]

Now I understand. :)

See here.

spacer.png

In Firefox the service is always enabled with no option in the GUI to disable it. :thumbdown

Same for Basilisk.

Has to be done via 'about:config'.

Edited by nicolaasjan

On 11/29/2022 at 1:26 AM, VistaLover said:

However :dubbio:, using "Inspector" (of DevTools) I found out that once the value of  "--header-height" inside the userstyle becomes < 40px (as in your original code), that value is no longer honoured and the header's height can't be made less than 40px :o:

VvEJ2Ay.png

Unless there's a fix for that, too, I'm already heavily indebted :thumbup !

It still effects the content below the header, though I can't tell how the header is done exactly to be able to influence it further.

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Hi, Roy ... hope all is well.

Are you still planning to update FF 45.9? That last one I have is 45.9.34-20220924 I still find it useful.

it depends on upstream (i.e. tenfourfox)

On 11/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, luweitest said:

I am cautious about malicious software but this time it is not my point. My debugging is for the too many connections upon browser startup if there are many tabs kept, which slows the system a lot and triggers event  ID 4226 (too many TCP concurrent connections).  Thanks for the information about portal service. And the http://192.168.0.1 is just for my test convenience. You could replace it with any web page, but preferably be an HTTP rather than HTTPS, for HTTP let you know it is accessing favicon.ico file. I am curious to know others' result about this "bug", or improper behavior of browser.

Find the solution: I should try a broader search keyword in about:config: "icon",  and set "browser.chrome.site_icons" to false, then the browser will not fetch those favicon.ico files upon start.

18 hours ago, luweitest said:

set "browser.chrome.site_icons" to false, then the browser will not fetch those favicon.ico files upon start.

... Then the browser will NEVER fetch favicons for any tab, even during a normal browser session (i.e., not only when a previous session is being restored); do you want that (I don't, because I do want favicons in my tabs - and in my URLbar, thanks to CTR in St52) ?

In "about:config", is below boolean pref set to true ?

browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand

FHWceuB.png