My Browser Builds (Part 4)

Thanks for your wishes @XPerceniol!

Until now it's just like a classic cold, hopefully it's not getting worse. Usually I drink up to one liter of green tea a day (at work) - now I drink mostly the following tea varieties: peppermint, chamomile and sage. But green tea will come back today or tomorrow. :)

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

2 hours ago, soggi said:

Here too ... until last week. Nearly three years we could avoid an infection, but finally SARS-CoV-2 came into our house. My mother got a positive selftest last Sunday and I got one today. :thumbdown Hopefully the four vaccinations my mother and the three I got will prevent worse.

37 minutes ago, soggi said:

Until now it's just like a classic cold, hopefully it's not getting worse. Usually I drink up to one liter of green tea a day (at work) - now I drink mostly the following tea varieties: peppermint, chamomile and sage. But green tea will come back today or tomorrow. :)

kind regards
soggi

Hello @soggi! Wish you and your family an unproblematic and quick recovery!  I had my first SARS-CoV-2 infection several weeks ago, despite triple vaccination, and still suffer from a permanent coughing. Very persistent! But I hope you and your family get through it without any problems! :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I had my first SARS-CoV-2 infection several weeks ago, despite triple vaccination, and still suffer from a permanent coughing.

Maybe test your lungs: scan to make it not a dumb idea, I think...talk to your doctor NOW, please...

3 hours ago, soggi said:

Here too ... until last week. Nearly three years we could avoid an infection, but finally SARS-CoV-2 came into our house. My mother got a positive selftest last Sunday and I got one today. :thumbdown Hopefully the four vaccinations my mother and the three I got will prevent worse.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, that's sad. I hope you and your family get to deal with the virus and hope you get well soon after the vaccinations you got.

Edited by mina7601

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

despite triple vaccination, and still suffer from a permanent coughing. Very persistent!

I'm very sorry to hear you still suffer from coughing. That's really bad. I hope your health is fine though. But, I still hope you can deal with the permanent coughing!

Edited by mina7601

On 11/15/2022 at 10:40 PM, roytam1 said:

Notice: upstream merged JPEG-XL support libraries, but since VS2015 is not able to compile them so JPEG-XL support will not land to my UXP/moebius builds unless I change to VS2017(which is unlikely) or able to fix libhighway and libjxl to build with VS2015.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; Google said no, so as great as JPEG-XL may be, it's going nowhere: https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/chrome-banishes-jpeg-xl-photo-format-that-could-save-phone-space/

What's happening

Google's Chrome team said it will remove support for JPEG XL, a photo format that offers space saving and image quality advantages.

Why it matters

JPEG XL is an industry standard, but Google likes a rival it helped develop called AVIF, and Apple iPhones shoot photos in yet another format, HEIC. But JPEG XL has some advantages photographers might appreciate, and the dispute could mean we're stuck with plain old JPEG for even longer.

Google doesn't have veto power over JPEG XL's future, but as the maker of the world's most-used browser, it can effectively block its use on the web.

Don't expect Google to change its stance.

"During our experiment to support JPEG-XL in Chrome, we concluded that it did not provide substantial benefits over AVIF, and unlike AVIF, JPEG-XL has not been adopted by other browsers," the company said in a statement Wednesday.

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

My best wishes for a full recovery to all who have had COVID, but back on topic now please.
:)

Let me just add one closing/final OT post:

@all: Thanks for your wishes!

@AstroSkipper: I wish you that you get rid of the permanent coughing soon!

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

On 11/8/2022 at 4:00 PM, luweitest said:

I always have a lot of tabs kept open in Serpent52. Recently I found Serpent initiates a large bunch of connections to various address upon every start, presumably to fetch those tabs. It lags start of browser a lot. I hope it could make the connection when I click or select that tab. I searched but found no apparent solution. In Preference -> General -> startup -> when Serpent starts, select "Show a blank page" does not help, because it actually asks whether to save my tabs upon closing Serpent; The pref "browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand" seems the right one from the description, but the default value true does not work;  add a pref "browser.sessionstore.restore_tabs_lazily, true" does not work either. Is there some other place to try?

I find the symptom is solely caused by my sessionstore.js file. If I create a new profile, copy the old sessionstore.js to it, then the new profile will also initiate many many connections upon opening, even causing event 4226 in event logger.  The current sessionstore.js is over 1MiB; I have tabs near 100.  I'd like to keep those tabs of my large to-do list, but delete other information in the sessionstore.js, because I suspect those supposed un-used information caused the bug . Is there anyway to shrink that file?

p.s. My sessionstore.js has broken for some times, so I have restored that file for two or three times from profile backup folder sessionstore-backups. recovery.js and previous.js not work every time, and I use upgrade.js-2022********** file instead.

Edited by luweitest

On 11/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, luweitest said:

Does anybody notice that the recent (I'll check the exact version later) Serpent 52 has bug in text input box? As I am writing this post, I cannot use backspace and del to edit text: backspace brings me back to previous page,  which is annoying when the site do not have backup of what I have typed, and del just does nothing. But they works if some text be selected first. This only affects web page's text input, not URL input or search input. Safe-mode tested too.

ps. New profile doesn't have this bug.

I don't know if this is related, but today I noticed the following in the release notes of latest Pale Moon (v31.4.0) from 2022/11/22:

Pale Moon will no longer fire the keypress events in content when the key pressed is a non-printable key. This is in response to issues where webmasters would use rudimentary and naïve input-restricting scripts in onkeypress handlers that would not take into account editing keys or navigation keys, causing issues for users trying to enter data into forms (and e.g. finding they could no longer use backspace, cursor keys or tab). This aligns our behavior with other browsers for web compatibility, although it should be considered a website error expecting not all keypresses to be intercepted in keypress events.

kind regards
soggi

Thanks, @soggi. From earlier posts, it does appear that change to UXP was causing the buggy backspace/delete behavior that others complained about. Luckily, upstream added a hidden pref to revert to the old behavior, which @luweitest found:

On 11/6/2022 at 8:37 PM, luweitest said:

I find a workaround.  After checking the Issue #2019 at https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commit/1392f5f223b960d6332f9230687afcd3e8e5276f , I spot a line I think relative:

`+ pref("dom.keyboardevent.keypress.dispatch_non_printable_in_content", false);`

about:config do not have that pref, so I manually add

`dom.keyboardevent.keypress.dispatch_non_printable_in_content", true;`

Then the delete and backspace key function again.

But from the description of the change, it sounds like it really should have been website-specific, not just a browser-wide true/false pref, so it could be set to false for those websites that malfunction when the pref is set to true. But we only have the browser-wide pref. So what if you find a website that won't work unless you set it to false?

If that happens. I'd suggest modifying @AstroSkipper's latest "custom button" to toggle the above pref; then you can just switch the pref between true and false as needed.

Sorry I've not been keeping up on this, just so much nonsense in real life.

I don't have this backspace issues others are seeing, but YT stays frozen for a painful 35 seconds and I was hoping this would be corrected.

yt.thumb.JPG.3eb1a432c0a82b69f83f796dae3318ac.JPG

Build ID: 20221110065722 here.

It makes no difference on the UA as I've tried just about all, but I've noticed (for some reason) Reporting as FF 62 and the videos play without (as much) jumping. Just reporting some feedback.

dom.ipc.processCount;0 <--This I changed to "0" <--Default "1"

dom.ipc.plugins.processLaunchTimeoutSecs;45 <--Default

dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled;false <--Default "True"

dom.ipc.reportProcessHangs;false <--Default "True"

dom.ipc.processHangMonitor;false <--Default "True"

Sadly, I'll have to retract my jump for joy ... largely because I have springs on my boots so when I jump I bang my head on the ceiling. Kidding; or am I?

I just tried they newest Serpent and While the workaround by @AstroSkipper worked like a charm (for the backspace issues on Serpent), YT was doing very well for a little bit and now freezing again. I was like, YAY and back to Dang. Wonder if:

processLaunchTimeoutSecs;45  could be changed to make a difference?

Edited by XPerceniol