Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

It's not an obsession.  It was an attempt to correlate a fine-line parallel in a friendly manner.  In your view, I failed.

But agreed, an international forum has to decide for itself which country laws pertain to forum content.

MSFN does not allow direct links to these projects so I follow MSFN's lead in that regard.

We are allowed to disagree with each other, you do know that, don't you?

Moving on, I was attempting some middle ground but your reply clearly did not see it that way.

We are not all always going to agree with each other, plain and simple.

I do continue to have a vested interest in just how will Chrome continue on Win7, so I won't be far away, this is a valid and useful thread.

Here the checksums i get for version 113-3.5.2. :sneaky:

fe163db0a4f7efaf776b7e1290546e08b2ae1170 *CatsxpBrowserStandaloneSetup32_113_3_5_2.exe
ba77d618e1b8cca9fdf286acb9a70014154cf193 *CatsxpBrowserStandaloneSetup_113_3_5_2.exe

Here is the future of Chromium on Windows 7:

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium

image.png

I have been closely tracking the many changes made to Chromium since November 2022, made with the intent of dropping support for Windows 7 and 8.x. As of version 111, it became very difficult to keep the newest versions running on Vista with the extended kernel; shared memory allocation changes made it impossible to do so as subtle changes to the API (which were done in kernel mode) prevented stable operation of the browsers.

So I decided to build my own Chromium. I discovered that a further change was made to the shared memory allocation which broke it even further; the successor to mojo, IPCZ, was forced on by default. It only works properly with Windows 8.1+'s shared memory API. I disabled IPCZ for pre-8.1 and this made the sandbox work again on Vista and 7.

Perhaps I will see exactly why IPCZ is broken (from the Windows API level) and try to fix it for the next release. The only win32 API link I can find is CreateFileMappingW, which I need to test with an IPCZ-enabled build on both 8 and 8.1 to see what makes it fail.

2 hours ago, win32 said:

Here is the future of Chromium on Windows 7:

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium

image.png

I have been closely tracking the many changes made to Chromium since November 2022, made with the intent of dropping support for Windows 7 and 8.x. As of version 111, it became very difficult to keep the newest versions running on Vista with the extended kernel; shared memory allocation changes made it impossible to do so as subtle changes to the API (which were done in kernel mode) prevented stable operation of the browsers.

So I decided to build my own Chromium. I discovered that a further change was made to the shared memory allocation which broke it even further; the successor to mojo, IPCZ, was forced on by default. It only works properly with Windows 8.1+'s shared memory API. I disabled IPCZ for pre-8.1 and this made the sandbox work again on Vista and 7.

Perhaps I will see exactly why IPCZ is broken (from the Windows API level) and try to fix it for the next release. The only win32 API link I can find is CreateFileMappingW, which I need to test with an IPCZ-enabled build on both 8 and 8.1 to see what makes it fail.

I said this before, but I will say it again: win32, you're a legend! It's been a long time since your last great contribution here in this topic. I'm glad you're back. Thank you so much for your contributions, keep it up!

Edited by mina7601

Thanks @win32

Supermium running on the lightest NT6 OS ever made (8.0) by MS 

But the same problem as in the previous version someone released some months ago... online videos not working, do you know how to fix? (except for youtube)

w8-Untitled.png

Edited by sonyu

5 hours ago, sonyu said:

But the same problem as in the previous version someone released some months ago... online videos not working, do you know how to fix? (except for youtube)

@win32 wrote he had built from the original chromium source. Simple (vanilla) chromium doesn't include HEVC (H265), H264 - which you need to play most videos, youtube works because it has VP9 , VP8 included, but it's not enough for the majority of websites, Twitter. for example.  I'd suggest a good solution to avoid possible licencing issues and the users who are so overly concerned with "thin" or "thick" lines of legality, or whatever they call it  - compile from the source that has all codecs included (some ungoogled versions, for example). Though, I'm not sure if they share their code in the open.

Found 'em ! Not seeing the source code for the latest 116, though.

The latest they have is the 113 source code.

https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-windows/releases/tag/113.0.5672.64-1.1

EDIT This one should play all videos (allegedly).

"Website for ungoogled-chromium contributor-submitted binaries (contributor binaries).

IMPORTANT: These binaries are provided by anyone who are willing to build and submit them. Because these binaries are not necessarily reproducible, authenticity cannot be guaranteed."

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/releases/windows/64bit/

Edited by D.Draker

14 hours ago, Dave-H said:

This is not a politics forum.
Stay on topic please.

Thanks ! Maybe also block/remove the postings with the promotions of china made browsers then ? Not only due to the safety concerns (since they aren't even properly vetted), but also due to the off-topic activities.

This needs to be just as the topic suggests, agree with you Dave, as usual. 

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Thanks ! Maybe also block/remove the postings with the promotions of china made browsers then ?

This seems extreme and equivalent to your ban-all-Russian request.

Why thwart competition?

We currently have two competing paths towards the "Future of Chrome on Windows 7".
    1)  Catsxp  --  Vanilla Windows 7
    2)  Supermium  --  Extended Kernel Windows 7

The two can co-exist.

I also consider a good idea to take ungoogled chromium instead of regular chromium. Version 112 of ungoogled chromium is not working on Vista Extended Kernel, it can't find a function

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This seems extreme and equivalent to your ban-all-Russian request.

Why thwart competition?

We currently have two competing paths towards the "Future of Chrome on Windows 7".
    1)  Catsxp  --  Vanilla Windows 7
    2)  Supermium  --  Extended Kernel Windows 7

The two can co-exist.

1. I'm pretty sure you ripped it out of context to start another political debate, don't do that, DAVE already warned you, so I'm ignoring it.

Also, you again misinterpreted what I wrote, I'm ignoring it (again).  Who are you to decide what is "extreme" or not ? From what you told us 

here on the forum, you're a helper of deputy, not a judge. 

Go back to my original answer you replied to. Read the sentence No. 2 ,which you deleted from my original posting , (requires minimum English skills at CEFR A1).

2. Aren't you the one who is against Extended Kernels ?

And again, you yourself wrote here "from what I've seen in the "code" of CatsXP, I'm not gonna do it". So, why do we need a "dirty" telemetry browser here ?

BTW, you never answered what you meant by the "code".