Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

4 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Thnx ! I somehow managed to download it, I have to say, it wasn't easy . The dwnl speed is like 12bits . Took more than 2hrs to complete. With the 112 - Twitter videos don't work at all ,showing blank black page, only sound works. With 111 - videos are playable. And I had to apply no sandbox hack, since it doesn't work with Windows7 without it, they wrote on their forum. Someone here knows a fix for Twitter videos ? The browser connects to asian amazon on startup ! Always wants to update.--disable-catsxp-update they suggested, doesn't work.

Why don't you use the portable version to avoid update business. Click on underlined v 3.3.5 right below Latest Developments, then portable

x32 or x64 and take your pick

Anyways I'll be installing 112 when final version is out.

catsxp willing of course !

Win7: Need to load startup parameter  --no-sandbox (should be caused by a library function that is not supported by the system! Attempting to fix it!)

Win8: solving m112 system compatibility issues

Edited by Tangy

On 3/22/2023 at 11:16 PM, Tangy said:

Why don't you use the portable version to avoid update business. Click on underlined v 3.3.5 right below Latest Developments, then portable

x32 or x64 and take your pick

Anyways I'll be installing 112 when final version is out.

catsxp willing of course !

That's what I did ! Portable, of course. Still, 112 crashes, while 111 is somewhat fine. CAUTION : this browser has undeletable tracking cookies from qq and some other china website , can see it the settings under sites that can always use cookies, you can't delete them. It's hard to imagine the amount of telemetry it has.

They wrote on the forum 112 is no good for win 7, since it crashes.

@Cocodile Thanks a lot for your input . Much appreciated. Good to know. As it seems another alternative could be Thorium ( Someone here mentioned it, I think it was Jodie Jordan @Jody Thornton if memory serves me right ) which basically is chrome 109 with backported security patches. Of course the usual suspects such as Firefox, librewolf etc.. are still supporting  Windows 7. The only thing I don't llike about them is the way they play videos.

specially on YT ( stuttering, this has been going on ever since version 92 and Librewolf since version 106. )

Cheers

PS: Not long ago a user complained that he could not delete cookies etc.. and catsxp told him this had something to do with the portable version or something along these lines. Later on said user stated that even though this function does not seem to work actually it does. I had to use google translate I don't speak Chinese. Do you reckon I should take this with a pinch of salt ?

Edited by Tangy
Add a PS:

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Wow man, this is great! I hope it continues that way.

The problem is that all websites, regardless if they are Settings or Web, crash in approximantly 30sec-1 minute and you have to reload every time. I don't know why that happens but I encountered that with v113 as well as v114 and I don't think Google with fix that for us :) nonetheless, I am very happy that we already got 5 newer versions of Chrome(ium) to run on 8.1 at least. 

I feel a little nostalgic when I look at 7 and 8.1, as they remind me of XP and Vista. 8.1 is much closer to Windows 10, so we encounter less bugs than with Windows 7 on mutliple softwares. I don't know if anyone managed to get Chromium 111+ working on 7

43 minutes ago, yoltboy01 said:

The problem is that all websites, regardless if they are Settings or Web, crash in approximantly 30sec-1 minute and you have to reload every time. I don't know why that happens but I encountered that with v113 as well as v114 and I don't think Google with fix that for us :) nonetheless, I am very happy that we already got 5 newer versions of Chrome(ium) to run on 8.1 at least. 

I feel a little nostalgic when I look at 7 and 8.1, as they remind me of XP and Vista. 8.1 is much closer to Windows 10, so we encounter less bugs than with Windows 7 on mutliple softwares. I don't know if anyone managed to get Chromium 111+ working on 7

brave browser work well on windows 7 (at least up until ver 109) it was my main browser on windows 7 for quite a while

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Chromium 114 on Windows 8.1 (thanks to @mjd79)

Pic: imgur.com/a/k0WiIKa

Nevertheless, I prefer my version 113.0.5645, which has the right codecs and embeded videos and sync work on it :)

30 minutes ago, mjd79 said:

Nevertheless, I prefer my version 113.0.5645, which has the right codecs and embeded videos and sync work on it :)

I wonder if you could get that version to work on Windows 7 as well.

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I wonder if you could get that version to work on Windows 7 as well.

At this point I am unlikely to be able to do it, even on Windows 8.0 this build does not work.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:39 PM, Tangy said:

PS: Not long ago a user complained that he could not delete cookies etc.. and catsxp told him this had something to do with the portable version or something along these lines. Later on said user stated that even though this function does not seem to work actually it does. I had to use google translate I don't speak Chinese. Do you reckon I should take this with a pinch of salt ?

Yes, I can confirm, not all cookies can be deleted.

CatsXP, even with the fully disabled updater, leaks data to several Asian IP, this for example.

Organization AWS Asia Pacific (Seoul) Region

Country Korea, The Republic of (KR)

Region Seoul

City Seoul

Time zone Asia/Seoul

Host name

ec2-15-164-173-186.ap-northeast-2.compute.amazonaws.com

IP range

ISP

Organization

Country South Korea (KR)

Region Incheon

City Incheon

Time zone Asia/Seoul, GMT+0900

7 hours ago, legacyfan said:

brave browser work well on windows 7 (at least up until ver 109) it was my main browser on windows 7 for quite a while

Any Chrome up to 109 will work on 7/8/8.1. It's official, and had been said many times. The point of the topic is to discuss newer versions.

On 3/20/2023 at 6:48 PM, Tangy said:

Opera browser stable version 96.0.4693.80 was released on 16/03/2023.

Said browser was also updated ( W7 + W8 ) to version 95.0.4635.80. I received this update today.

Then I came across this :

https://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2023/03/opera-95-0-4635-80-windows-7-windows-8-update/

My take is that Opera will provide updates, at least for a while, to windows 7 +8 users

Cheers

Updated to a lower version ? From 96 to 95 ?

On 3/23/2023 at 7:39 PM, Tangy said:

I think it was Jodie Jordan

No, I'm pretty sure it was Jordan Rachel !

7 hours ago, mjd79 said:

Nevertheless, I prefer my version ... :)

"your" version ? Care to elaborate ? Are you a developer of some sorts ? We already had a developer with "his" chrome versions recently, from the same country, pure coincidence some might say.

By the same coincidence, he also couldn't go on with the newer chrome versions.