Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

Windows 7 Pro 64bit forever!!!

I just joined this forum & am watching this thread with great interest, especially @msquidpl's posts. A browser is my one concern because browsers are major entry points for malware. However, I surf the internet while in Shadow Defender's "Shadow More" -- it's like a virtual computer -- so a permanent infection is extremely unlikely. Even so, an updated browser for Win7 would be delightful.

My Plan B is Zorin Linux Pro -- it's very similar to Win7 & I am getting fairly proficient with it.

Aloha to all from Hawaii... bellgamin

12 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@yoltboy01 This thread should be retitled “Future of Chromium on Windows 7.” (The future of Chrome on “vanilla” Windows 7 is simply version 109.)

Not all 109 versions work. The later "final releases" - don't. Tht last working one was 109.0. 53.97, if I'm not mistaken. Some kind fella created a list of the last versions in the last win 7 soft topic. 

Some manufacturers stopped even at 108 or so.

1 minute ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Hmmm, I thought I saw a post containing a backported Chromium 111 for Windows Vista/7/8.1 here? I've been searching the forum but cannot find it.

Were my eyes playing with me?

Here it is:

I think I bought my second Windows 10 preinstalled NB in the beginn of 2022 (before the world wide sanctions of Russia thats only thing I remember).

At that time Google Chrome Canary was still updateable on Windows 7 SP1 vanilla. A few months ago I checked and the error message appeared that Windows 7 is not supported anymore so I wont get any updates any more.

Is there any Windows 7 or Windows 8 /8.1 compatible browser that also gets support or security updates from 2022/2023 on?

Should be other forks than roytams out there too. I mean: Mozilla has ESR  channels too. How hard can it be?

Need it for my old notebook with Windows 7. Neither do I have the time motivation nor the free space to install Windows 10 crappy edition.

When support of my antivirus license expired I will really be in need to have a solution for this. Chrome will as also Firefox still be perfectly usable to browse the web for some years but the danger catching a virus or trojan horse will be higher due to security flaws not fixed in the browsers now.

35 minutes ago, winxpi said:

I think I bought my second Windows 10 preinstalled NB in the beginn of 2022 (before the world wide sanctions of Russia thats only thing I remember).

At that time Google Chrome Canary was still updateable on Windows 7 SP1 vanilla. A few months ago I checked and the error message appeared that Windows 7 is not supported anymore so I wont get any updates any more.

Is there any Windows 7 or Windows 8 /8.1 compatible browser that also gets support or security updates from 2022/2023 on?

Should be other forks than roytams out there too. I mean: Mozilla has ESR  channels too. How hard can it be?

Need it for my old notebook with Windows 7. Neither do I have the time motivation nor the free space to install Windows 10 crappy edition.

When support of my antivirus license expired I will really be in need to have a solution for this. Chrome will as also Firefox still be perfectly usable to browse the web for some years but the danger catching a virus or trojan horse will be higher due to security flaws not fixed in the browsers now.

Catsxp seems most likely candidate. As does Thorium. Chrome 109 will be receiving security updates for Windows 7 until October 2023

On 2/23/2023 at 9:29 PM, mina7601 said:

Here it is:

is there someone who has downloaded the files in this topic that is now infected with the TJPROJMAIN.EXE virus ????????????????????

I need to confirm this since I found a virus on one of my computers today and the only .exe I downloaded recently was the chromium from the link.

It's easy to check if you're infected https://github.com/skidaim/TJprojMain-explorer.exe-remover

(I'm not saying the .exe from the link was infected but I found this today and I don't think I downloaded other application recently. )

I have had this virus in the past when it wasn't known, if you have "byte_stinker" please send me a private message (I don't know if it can be posted here) but I really need HELP right now.

I know this can be offtopic.. but please if you know an alternative method to remove this virus, please tell me how.

Thanks

Edited by sonyu

I downloaded the files 2 days ago, now the links are removed, I know. But I'm not sure if I was infected by the files on that thread cause I just found a bunch of .exe files with Creation date = 08/02/2023

Anyway the first time I was infected with this was 3 years ago, but now I'm faster searching for the common infected files with "SwiftSearch" utility

Please, if somebody can recommend me a tool to detect the infected files I'll be very grateful.

1657670891857-png.2027213

Edited by sonyu