Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

I should say Ungoogled Chrome might be your best bet (as of now). Make sure you download from their official place though.

there I have a copy of the 32bit and 64bit version in my cload storage now 

17 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

1 - Slimjet is made by FlashPeak, a company based in Austin, Texas.

2 - I did not “promote” it: Merely pointed out that it is currently based on Chromium 109, so obviously supports Windows 7 at least until hypothetical version 39 is released.

3 - I haven’t used Slimjet since 2016, at which time they backported Chromium 50, 51 and 53 for the benefit of Windows Vista.

4 - BTW neither Russia nor China is a communist society in the 21st century

5 - which is not to say they are not authoritarian regimes that pose a threat to the West.

6 - Speaking of Russia, does anyone know what version of Chromium the current Yandex 23 browser is based on? I can’t seem to find that information and have no wish to install the browser, but MSFN is an international forum so others may feel differently.

1- So what ? "Safe" Proton mail is based in Switzerland (yet it has zero Swiss owners/developers). It's mostly Indorussian, it's public knowledge.

Opera is based in Eastern Europe, yet it 100% Chinese. You wrote it yourself and I agreed. Also, public knowledge.

2 - That's exactly what you did, didn't you ? You were trying to make a serious matter sound like 

a joke - "hey look, even google chrome itself is a spyware", hence you provided us with a joke article.

Why have you linked to a severely incomplete article ? Being on a serious site like MSFN,

one would need to link to an article with proof, like I did with slimjet. Yet you tried to 

take a left to another direction and make fun of all of this and then went completely off-topic

with your Firefox.

3 - 2016 ?!??! Thank you for not comparing it to 1916 !

You realize it's 7 years passed and they could change their owner/policies like a gazillion of times ?

4 - You know best, I'm not an expert on living in chinorussia and/or with russians.

5 - I actually agree with you often, this time also. Next time, please split your posts so I could give you upvotes.

6 - Either you suspiciously kind, or we just don't know something about you.
You seem to be so overworried about some certain countries with certain regimes and their populace.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:24 PM, win32 said:

I now got it running on Vista in --no-sandbox mode after making some adjustments to locale API to allow Windows 10's dwrite.dll to load. However, the performance is very poor. It now takes up to a minute to launch the browser instead of it taking a few seconds.

It should be easier to get dwrite.dll on 7 (no kernel32 functions need to be modified/upgraded on 7), but 7 still won't be able to run these new versions of Chromium because no changes have been made to the job object API there. There is also the possibility that performance will be very poor as well. VxKex will provide that and more, eventually.

I completely avoided this method and I was able to successfuly port the bleeding edge Opera 97 (Chrome 111) and I have no delays with the startup you wrote about earlier.

Screenshots with proof below. Opera was released on 06.02.2023 (yesterday) .

It is fully functional, apart from the settings page (I get the error on the screenshot when I try to open them).

Apart from that isuue I have the ability to enter the flags section, about, history and bookmarks. Lets' work together to find the cause for the settings.

I was able to discover the reason for that weird slowness you wrote about. In short, the chrome devs are mor0ns (surprise...not).

They have implemented a new crappy API that doesn't work as expected. I found it . Am I a genius, I dunno ...

Link :

Microsoft confirms that API is crap.

"Thank you for your feedback. We have identified this issue as a Windows issue."

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/prefetchvirtualmemory-does-not-seem-to-preload-fil/1345958

Screenshot_20230207_104606.png

Screenshot_20230207_105508.png

Screenshot_20230207_105657.png

18 hours ago, alzcore397 said:

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2023/02/stable-channel-update-for-desktop.html  Chrome 110 is released... any news for patching for 7? ............................

I don't do plain chrome patching, not interested in it, sorry. I mostly patch Opera and similar. But I sent the instructions on what needs to be done to the creator of the ex-kernel for Vista @win32, and it will be implemented in the new kernel, so you all will be able to use the new Opera and Chrome.

From what I see, no one's gonna do anything for windows 7.There's only talk, talk and talk.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:15 AM, D.Draker said:

It is fully functional, apart from the settings page

Now also got the download section to work,  short version of the settings pages also, VPN works.

@win32,the full version of settings still crashes. Otherwise the browser is pretty much stable and usable,

since the flags section is available. And it is very fast, even on the ancient system from 2009.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:09 AM, noles20 said:

I'm not a programmer or anything but has anyone tried porting newer builds of Chrome to Windows 7 as I know the Chromium project is open source?

It seems to be a very low interest, as I see it. Compared to the crowd who truly enjoyed Xp , Vista , the crowd of Windows 7 is very small and most of them upgraded to Windows 10-11 with almost no remorse.

actually there are a lot more win 7 users 3 years after EOL than there were XP users back then. according to statcounter.com, win 7 has a market share of 9.55% as of jan 2023 while XP was only at 5.26% in april 2017. I guess as long as Firefox still gets updates for win 7, it is simply not necessary to make an effort in getting newer builds of chromium to run on win 7.

3 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

actually there are a lot more win 7 users 3 years after EOL than there were XP users back then. according to statcounter.com, win 7 has a market share of 9.55% as of jan 2023 while XP was only at 5.26% in april 2017. I guess as long as Firefox still gets updates for win 7, it is simply not necessary to make an effort in getting newer builds of chromium to run on win 7.

I don't think so. There's a lot of software and games that don't work on windows 7 already and for a long time. 

Besides, I don't know anyone who is still on windows 7 or 8, and I have a wide range of friends and relatives.

Major exodus had happened in 2017. Firefox userbase is about 1 percent.

https://backlinko.com/browser-market-share

16 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

On the other hand, it seems to me that win 7 would be more capable to run modern software if development/support was not cut, and that XP had more limitations in this regard.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:35 AM, Cocodile said:

It seems to be a very low interest, as I see it. Compared to the crowd who truly enjoyed Xp , Vista , the crowd of Windows 7 is very small and most of them upgraded to Windows 10-11 with almost no remorse.

Last night I installed catsxp browser portable which is very similar to Brave ( Brave fork ) and I have to say I really like it. It is using chrome 110. (

Ver:3.2.4

Kernel:110.0.5481.92)

If you are not averse to Chinese products, you should give it a go. All extensions based on chrome are supported. You can get it from catsxp.com

Cheers

14 hours ago, Tangy said:

Last night I installed catsxp browser portable which is very similar to Brave ( Brave fork ) and I have to say I really like it. It is using chrome 110. (

If you are not averse to Chinese products, you should give it a go. All extensions based on chrome are supported. You can get it from catsxp.com

Cheers

You want to say that chrome 110 works on windows 7 ?

On 2/11/2023 at 12:23 AM, Tangy said:

Cheers

Catsxp 111 beta working on Windows Vista with Extended Kernel too!