Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

On 1/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, Vort said:

1 - Don't quite understand what do you mean.

Users of old OSes are already having problems with absense of security updates.

Adding closed source hacks makes this problem only worse.

2 - Maybe you are talking about making patches open source only when they are completely ready?

1 - This community is based on trust (it can be found in the rules). No one pays me for this job.

2 - No, none of these will be made public to prevent the KGB/FSB getting their hands on them. We are not silly to help them 

run huge quantities of old computers in their department/state and not to pay Microsoft for the new products. 

18 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Chromium 112 is out now. Has anyone tried it on Windows 8.1 ?

EDIT: Just tried it out and it will no longer open up anymore. It gives me the error "DiscardVirtualMemory" couldn't be located in chrome.dll 

I looked that function up and it was introduced in Windows 8.1, so I quite don't get why that error pops up. Tried the same build out on Windows 11 and it worked

it's because he checks if DiscardVirtualMemory is present in kernel32 but, this isn't the case here

906662949_Screenshot-28_01_202311_16_57.thumb.png.b5d61fc28af460baa3c6f4e1c570db9d.png

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

2 - No, none of these will be made public to prevent the KGB/FSB getting their hands on them. We are not silly to help them 

This sounds more like a security via obscurity thing than anything else. And you never know what some nolife pentester is going to be spending half the day trying to do even to a piece of closed source software, regardless of how obscure or out of date it is.

There's one board that's been dead for years and yet some lamer still spams it every now and again using old accounts/exploits that haven't been patched for years, so...

ive been testing microsoft edge for a while now and it seems like a good option for chrome based browsers at least in my research on it and it works well on pretty much everything so I would definitely suggest doing some more researching into edges capabilities on older windows versions to see if its possible to backport never version of it to legacy windows

Edited by legacyfan

3 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

ive been testing microsoft edge for a while now and it seems like a good option for chrome based browsers at least in my research on it) and it works well on pretty much everything so I would definitely suggest doing some more researching into edges capabilities on older windows versions to see if its possible to backport never version of it to legacy windows

Ideally, ungoogled-chromium would be the best option. Also I'm still not sure why someone didn't take a backup of the svn/git repo of the last known working compile for win7 along with the build tools, that would at least make it easier to analyse the source at a fixed point in time and perhaps backport things.

Edited by derpo

47 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

No, it doesn't.

I guess I just installed it wrong then... last time I looked it wasn't clear in the slightest what I had to do.

Somewhat off-topic but I've just realised that if anyone wants to share modified system files they should probably look into using the xdelta/bps formats*, which are normally used for video game ROMs, but a policy on most ROM hacking forums/communities is that you don't share original binaries out in the open, only 'patches' that you apply to a self-sourced binary. (The one exception being the SM64 community, but since when have they had any ethics whatsoever?)

* xdelta/bps doesn't let you patch a mismatched file.

Edited by derpo

9 minutes ago, derpo said:

I guess I just installed it wrong then... last time I looked it wasn't clear in the slightest what I had to do.

Somewhat off-topic but I've just realised that if anyone wants to share modified system files they should probably look into using the xdelta/bps formats*, which are normally used for video game ROMs, but a policy on most ROM hacking forums/communities is that you don't share original binaries out in the open, only 'patches' that you apply to a self-sourced binary. (The one exception being the SM64 community, but since when have they had any ethics whatsoever?)

* xdelta/bps doesn't let you patch a mismatched file.

that still seems like it would be against the forum rules but maybe

21 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

that still seems like it would be against the forum rules but maybe

Sites like romhacking.net have continued to survive for years on end because they don't host the original binary images (ROMs in their case), which are of course copyrighted to their respective authors; thus, they are not allowed to be reproduced using unauthorised methods or redistributed via unauthorised channels. As far as I can tell, patch files, unless you're patching a 0KB dummy file with the entire content (which wouldn't be the case here - compare it to something like pushing changes to a repo on Git, where it compares the differences in the file and alters it accordingly), aren't illegal under any jurisdiction.

Reverse engineering also isn't illegal at all... however, using knowledge from leaked source code (or code that is under a non-disclosure agreement, such as from internal documents meant for company partners) alongside reverse-engineered code is also legally extremely questionable due to the dubious means of acquiring the code. This infamously was the subject of a lawsuit between Atari/TENGEN and Nintendo when the former cracked the 10NES chip using a combination of reverse engineering and documents that were only meant for developers/publishers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Games_Corp._v._Nintendo_of_America_Inc.#

Basically as long as the original binary isn't contained somewhere (an MD5+SHA1/2 hash and/or reasonable description such as a file version is perfectly acceptable), it should be fine from a legal point of view.

(For disclaimer purposes, I'm not a lawyer, so correct if necessary should someone be more qualified than me to talk about this topic.)

Edited by derpo

23 hours ago, derpo said:

Ideally, ungoogled-chromium would be the best option. Also I'm still not sure why someone didn't take a backup of the svn/git repo of the last known working compile for win7 along with the build tools, that would at least make it easier to analyse the source at a fixed point in time and perhaps backport things.

Yeah, something similar has been done for older versions of MacOS. Someone took a backup of the repo of the last working compile for MacOS 10.7, and then started backporting fixes for it. https://github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy. In fact, Chrome now requires MacOS 10.13, but this program can run on 10.7 to 10.12.

8 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

A mention that perhaps paying attention to SlimJet, Midori, and Qupzilla might be a good idea. The third party vendors may or may not backport the later chrome editions.

Slimjet Version History shows that current version 38.0.0.0 is based on Chromium 109, so of course it works on Windows 7, and there will probably be a number of 38.x revisions, which is probably all the support Windows 7 will get from Slimjet (but time will tell).

11 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Slimjet Version History shows that current version 38.0.0.0 is based on Chromium 109, so of course it works on Windows 7, and there will probably be a number of 38.x revisions, which is probably all the support Windows 7 will get from Slimjet (but time will tell).

here is a question someone asked on the slimjet website that might clear up the compatibility confusion 

Q.What are the system requirements of Slimjet?

The latest version of Slimjet is compatible with Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9 or later, Ubuntu 14.04+, Debian 8+, openSUSE 13.1+, or Fedora Linux 21+.

Edited by legacyfan