Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@Sergiaws : Besides being OT for this thread ;), you chose the wrong "share" code from imgur; should've been "BBCode (Forums)", not "Embed in HTML" :( ...

Sorry, I made a mistake. I posted this here, cause I thought it could be helpful for developers who make extended kernels and such things. If someone would backport something to Windows Vista/7/8.1 (something that requires Win10) it should be easier to start from 1507 (2015) instead of 22h2/21h2 (2022/2021). Both versions of Windows 10 are really diferent despite of the name.

2 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

Sorry, I made a mistake.

No worries :P; and now that you elaborated a bit :thumbup, I sort of understand your train of thought...

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Best to use the Direct Link option instead of BBCode.

I've been using myself, for quite a long time, the BBCode "sharecode" and it "appears" to function as intended (but, of course, I'm oblivious to the inner workings of the forum software ;)); if by "Direct Link" you mean what imgur calls "Share Link", then obviously that one doesn't behave in a fashion similar to BBcode (i.e. doesn't embed inside a MSFN forum post), plus imgur might serve ads :angry: on the arriving picture page... But your advice is noted for when/if things break "on the forum side"...

Warmest festive greetings :) !

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that Chromium put further effort into breaking compatibility with Windows 8.1 on v111. When you try to use any version higher than 111.0.5220 the mini installer will no longer install it, which means that you will need to download the Chrome/Chromium zip file in order to access it. The browser still works on 5521+ BUT I noticed that once you go into Settings, Chromium immediately closes and won't open again, no matter what you do, even with the --no-sandbox hack. 

Still no workaround, although browsing is still fine and so on but, as I said earlier, I think compatibility will be fully broken with the upcoming versions (112+)

On 12/30/2022 at 2:20 PM, VistaLover said:

No worries :P; and now that you elaborated a bit :thumbup, I sort of understand your train of thought...

I've been using myself, for quite a long time, the BBCode "sharecode" and it "appears" to function as intended (but, of course, I'm oblivious to the inner workings of the forum software ;)); if by "Direct Link" you mean what imgur calls "Share Link", then obviously that one doesn't behave in a fashion similar to BBcode (i.e. doesn't embed inside a MSFN forum post), plus imgur might serve ads :angry: on the arriving picture page... But your advice is noted for when/if things break "on the forum side"...

Warmest festive greetings :) !

Direct Link is the name of the text on the share options list, but maybe Imgur has different locale text. This is the text that is seen if you look at an image in your library.

CFwPCNAl.jpg

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Direct Link is the name of the text on the share options list, but maybe Imgur has different locale text.
This is the text that is seen if you look at an image in your library.

Thanks for your additional input :) ; however, I don't have an account with imgur ;) , all my image uploading there is done through an anonymous/not-logged-in session... Additionally, via a userscript and some protected imgur cookies, I still use the "old" imgur layout, which is much more lenient on H/W resources; "Share Options" here only include below four:

v4EcEpU.png

and of these, as stated already, I always choose the "BBCode (Forums)" one... :rolleyes:

On 1/8/2023 at 1:56 PM, yoltboy01 said:

I just noticed that Chromium put further effort into breaking compatibility with Windows 8.1 on v111. When you try to use any version higher than 111.0.5220 the mini installer will no longer install it, which means that you will need to download the Chrome/Chromium zip file in order to access it. The browser still works on 5521+ BUT I noticed that once you go into Settings, Chromium immediately closes and won't open again, no matter what you do, even with the --no-sandbox hack. 

Still no workaround, although browsing is still fine and so on but, as I said earlier, I think compatibility will be fully broken with the upcoming versions (112+)

Yeah, I tried too and hacks or no hacks, starting from 111 chrome is gimped on Windows 7 or 8.1, I mean, what good would it be without the settings section ?

I'd even say, 110 crashes quite often, even with nosandbox. The last stable is 109.

3 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Yeah, I tried too and hacks or no hacks, starting from 111 chrome is gimped on Windows 7 or 8.1, I mean, what good would it be without the settings section ?

I'd even say, 110 crashes quite often, even with nosandbox. The last stable is 109.

Chrome 110 doesn't even start on Windows 7, there are plenty of posts confirming this in this stopic, just scroll back. 

4 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I’m testing it atm and I experienced no crashes even with 10+ tabs opened. last week was just like every other version of chrome. 

Fake news. Proved by several members, including me. For example here. There is a screenshot that with "nosandbox" applied, doesn't help.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184046-future-of-chrome-on-windows-7/?do=findComment&comment=1230307

January 10, 2023: End of support. Now what?

I know this isn't a solution, but can we consider something like running chrome with "Wine on Windows" using one of these (at least while there isn't a kernel extension) :

• Cygwin
  • MinGW-w64
  • MSYS2
  • Babun
  • LINE
  • CoLinux
  • GnuWin32
  • andLinux

Another, more dirty, way: Remote App similar to the old "XP Mode" (w7's VirtualPC):

• VMware Unity Mode 
  • Parallels Headless Mode
  • Virtualbox Seamless Mode 

Well, this was commented in the past "It'd be possible to develop a Windows-native Wine-based ThinApp-like solution." 

https://www.elpauer.org/2011/10/a-wish-a-day-14-wine-based-application-virtualization/

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=633

This is an example of Chrome running on cygwin running on Windows 10 (yes it's 10 but look at minimize maximize and close buttons). Cygwin can be installed in windows 7 and windows 8.

687474703a2f2f696d6775722e636f6d2f577970

https://github.com/aben20807/my_vim

This is Office 2019 running on Wine 6.1, is not possible to run chrome on Windows the same way in 2023 without an entire OS, Kernel or VM running ?

w5b0d26ffvi61.png

outdated but an example of native firefox running on windows and also firefox on andLinux on Windows 7 (edit: ok this is not a valid example since it's running the linux version of chrome in a seamless mode for sure):

userpics-01.png

Edited by sonyu

So, Windows 7 ESU and 8.1 died today? :( 

Just kidding, I will sideload official, non-paid Server 2012 R2 Updates to my 8.1 machine till October 2023. Windows 7 ESU might have ended, but Pos Ready 7 is still up till October 2024. 

Another very interesting thing I read today was that Microsoft implemented Secure Boot into Windows 7 with it‘s last Security Patch. I wonder why they did that but does this mean I can now install Windows 7 on newer devices that doesn‘t support Legacy BIOS? 

source: ghacks.net/2023/01/10/microsoft-sneaks-secure-boot-support-into-windows-7-shortly-before-support-ends/?amp

5 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

the best option now for continuing to use chrome on 7-8.1 would be to just not go to any suspicious website and always use an ad blocker (at least that should work)

Use —no-sandbox on 8.1