Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

42 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

--disable-infobars has been deprecated since Chrome version 76, so it doesn't work unfortunately.

Thanks for your kind reply :) ; obviously, I wasn't aware :blushing: ...

Today, with more free time on my hands, I searched this further and it seems it was first removed in Chrome 65, then reinstated in Chrome 66, to be permanently removed, as you wrote, in Chrome 76 :angry: ; what a mess :realmad: ; of course, all was done to cater to "user security", the usual "excuse" when useful features are being removed: 

Remove --disable-infobars. This flag is no longer needed by the perf testing infrastructure
and can be misused for malicious purposes, so remove it.

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Thanks for your kind reply :) ; obviously, I wasn't aware :blushing: ...

You're welcome, and yes, I know you weren't aware, but the good thing is, you now know.

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Today, with more free time on my hands, I searched this further and it seems it was first removed in Chrome 65, then reinstated in Chrome 66, to be permanently removed, as you wrote, in Chrome 76 :angry: ; what a mess :realmad: ; of course, all was done to cater to "user security", the usual "excuse" when useful features are being removed: 

Oh, so the feature was removed some versions earlier than I expected. And yeah, I know their made-up excuses every time when they want to remove such features. A mess indeed.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Can you try for me if this registry rule (used by mrpink) hides the warning?

Chrome:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome]
"SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"=dword:00000001

Path to Edge:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]

I wanted to report it works on Win7 32-bit.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:50 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Can you try for me if this registry rule (used by mrpink) hides the warning?

Chrome:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome]
"SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"=dword:00000001

Path to Edge:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]

I use registry paths HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge and input the "SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning" entry on those sections so that the warning for both Chrome & MS Edge is disabled for "all users" (aka. system wide)

https://borncity.com/win/2022/12/05/windows-7-8-1-server-2012r2-deactivate-google-chrome-notification-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Using the registry branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKCU in the above .reg file shall suppress the notification for all user accounts on a machine.

The registry entry triggers a notification "Managed by organization", but that doesn't harm.

Edited by erpdude8

4 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

I use registry paths HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge and input the "SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning" entry on those sections so that the warning for both Chrome & MS Edge is disabled for "all users" (aka. system wide)

https://borncity.com/win/2022/12/05/windows-7-8-1-server-2012r2-deactivate-google-chrome-notification-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

This is not correct.
It depends on the Standard or Administrator account used
Policies entered with HKCU also generate a "managed by organization" message.
Example in Edge in my Standard account:

1.jpg

I would advise all MSFN members who will be using Chrome in Widows 7 after support ends to strengthen browser policies:

chrome://policy

Example of policies that I put in my Edge:

2.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Both HCKU & HKLM registry policies generate "Managed by organization" message which in turn disables features like "Secure DNS"

So does anyone managed to suppress "Upgrade to Windows 10" nag and also removed "Managed by organization" message?

image.thumb.png.dfd91f7c570e7d4ffec216c22e980c5a.png