Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

11 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Well who knows? 

I know.

This whole situation reminds me of when Windows XP and Vista were discontinued by Google.

Yes, deja vu.

the last Yandex

I'm having a really hard time imagining someone who would seriously consider using Yadnex, even if they "somehow" let the new chrome work.

I found a solution! Microsoft still supports edge on windows 7 and still has a download for it on there website we could start using edge as a chrome replacement since its based on chrome https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/download?form=MA13FW here is the page for it (edit:edge follows the same support schedule as chrome and will stop support at the same time)

Edited by legacyfan
fixed the post

8 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

I found a solution! Microsoft still supports edge on windows 7 and still has a download for it on there website we could start using edge as a chrome replacement since its based on chrome https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/download?form=MA13FW here is the page for it

Microsoft Edge will drop support for Windows 7 on the same date as Chrome, since Edge is Chromium-based, and it follows the same date as Chrome's, so once Chrome support is dropped, Edge support (and other Chromium-based browsers) are dropped too, so no, this isn't a solution.

Edited by mina7601

On 11/20/2022 at 6:50 PM, win32 said:

I think it's equally as hard to get Chromium back on Vista and 7. I'm sure it will be done.

And it still works on Windows 8 with --no-sandbox for now.

The advice to use --no-sandbox hack may lead to furious whining from "security oriented" users,

not wanting to call them security freaks, so just leave it put very politely put, like I did.

Officially it means danger:

When the sandbox is disabled with this flag , websites can potentially execute malicious Javascript based exploits onto your computer.

This exposes the user to Remote Code Execution (RCE) exploits that can execute arbitrary code on your computer.

A Chromium based javascript exploit can potentially affect every single downstream application that is built using the Chromium engine.

The 110 Chrome asks for GetProcessMitigationPolicy (which is win 10 and up only).

And don't forget about this :

The data execution prevention (DEP) policy of the process.

The lpBuffer parameter points to a PROCESS_MITIGATION_DEP_POLICY structure that specifies the DEP policy flags.

ProcessASLRPolicy The Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) policy of the process. Source :

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/nf-processthreadsapi-getprocessmitigationpolicy

So this is absolutely official - no more Chrome for 7/8/8.1. 

Not to mention a gazillion of games that do not start on 7/8/8.1 

due to the missing functions and/or DX12.

@Tripredacus, @Dave-H , would be wise to finally retire these OSes from the main section, no ? 

17 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

The advice to use --no-sandbox hack may lead to furious whining from "security oriented" users,

not wanting to call them security freaks, so just leave it put very politely put, like I did.

Officially it means danger:

When the sandbox is disabled with this flag , websites can potentially execute malicious Javascript based exploits onto your computer.

This exposes the user to Remote Code Execution (RCE) exploits that can execute arbitrary code on your computer.

A Chromium based javascript exploit can potentially affect every single downstream application that is built using the Chromium engine.

The 110 Chrome asks for GetProcessMitigationPolicy (which is win 10 and up only).

And don't forget about this :

The data execution prevention (DEP) policy of the process.

The lpBuffer parameter points to a PROCESS_MITIGATION_DEP_POLICY structure that specifies the DEP policy flags.

ProcessASLRPolicy The Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) policy of the process. Source :

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/nf-processthreadsapi-getprocessmitigationpolicy

due to the missing functions and/or DX12.

@Tripredacus, @Dave-H , would be wise to finally retire these OSes from the main section, no ? 

It is also possible to install in Windows 7,Sandboxie Plus and make up for the lack of an internal browser sandbox:

https://sandboxie-plus.com/

On 12/1/2022 at 3:09 AM, legacyfan said:

I found a solution! Microsoft still supports edge on windows 7 and still has a download for it on there website we could start using edge as a chrome replacement since its based on chrome https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/download?form=MA13FW here is the page for it (edit:edge follows the same support schedule as chrome and will stop support at the same time)

nope as reported from BetaArchive: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=471493#p471493

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Doesn‘t apply to Windows 8.1. Chromium AND Chrome 110 work fine - updating it daily and I‘m definitely not crying over the no-sandbox hack. Happily taking those intense risks you mentioned. 

Why should they be removed from the Main section on MSFN? I don‘t think that‘s in anyones interest. Most of the users come here for Windows 7 and 8.1. At least this community here doesn‘t treat them like Legacy, vintage Products. Unnecessary idea :)

Edited by yoltboy01

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Doesn‘t apply to Windows 8.1. Chromium AND Chrome 110 work fine - updating it daily and I‘m definitely not crying over the no-sandbox hack. Happily taking those intense risks you mentioned. 

Why should they be removed from the Main section on MSFN? I don‘t think that‘s in anyones interest. Most of the users come here for Windows 7 and 8.1. At least this community here doesn‘t treat them like Legacy, vintage Products. Unnecessary idea :)

There is a huge difference between officially supported and the one that runs using hacks.

Yes, we know it runs fine with the no-sandbox hack on 8.1, win32 already wrote that, no need to write again.

There is a huge difference between normal users and us, who are willing to take risks.

Don't you think the normal users should be warned, at least ?

So this puts Vista and 7/8/8.1  in the same shoes, but Vista moved away, and they are not,

yet Windows 7 is abandonware, dropped by Microsoft almost 3 years ago.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

Then put Vista back , because it also runs Chrome with this hack, by this very logic !

Windows 7 is by no means Abandonware. Still widely supported by hardware ranging up until rtx 3090. Windows 8.1 runs officialy chrome 109 release in 2022. Security updates (again official) up until january 2023. With an up to date antivirus (which it supports unlike xp and vista) without any kernel extension making it very alive os. Both of the operating systems can still be used without much of any problems. why would site like msfn flag these as out of date and legacy software when they are used by many people and business. 

I will give few examples:

VMware workstation 17 still supports windows 8.1,Steam still supports both windows 7 and 8.1,Discord still supports both Windows 7 and 8.,teamviewer,glasswire,rufus,firefox,vlc,virtualbox,blender etc etc regularly updates their software on them.

Windows vista lives because of extended kernel and the fact that these programs still supports windows 7

I only respond to anyone but D.Draker

Edited by Jaguarek62

28 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Windows 7 is by no means Abandonware. Still widely supported by hardware ranging up until rtx 3090. Windows 8.1 runs officialy chrome 109 release in 2022. Security updates (again official) up until january 2023. With an up to date antivirus (which it supports unlike xp and vista) without any kernel extension making it very alive os. Both of the operating systems can still be used without much of any problems. why would site like msfn flag these as out of date and legacy software when they are used by many people and business. 

I will give few examples:

VMware workstation 17 still supports windows 8.1,Steam still supports both windows 7 and 8.1,Discord still supports both Windows 7 and 8.,teamviewer,glasswire,rufus,firefox,vlc,virtualbox,blender etc etc regularly updates their software on them.

Windows vista lives because of extended kernel and the fact that these programs still supports windows 7

I only respond to anyone but D.Draker

As a Windows 7 (8 and 8.1 too) fan, I am completely enlightened by this response. Well said.

4 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Please tell, how do you run the current chrome 110 on your favourite Win 7 ? (on-topic)