Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

How it could be scientific, if XP doesn't support ANY form of hardware acceleration, including skia . LOL

So much for your "tests".

Color me blue.  I didn't know "skia" was a form of hardware acceleration.  Just thought it was a rendering "technique" and thought it affected the way that fonts rendered.  :blushing:

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Color me blue.  I didn't know "skia" was a form of hardware acceleration.  Just thought it was a rendering "technique" and thought it affected the way that fonts rendered.  :blushing:

Oh, it's fine, we all here to learn something we didn't know before ...  and teach the others of something we know.

Exchange of knowledge.

According to here ( https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2021/06/02/improving-font-rendering-in-microsoft-edge/ ), Chromium uses DirectWrite.

Unsure how "old" the article is and if it "still" is true or not.  I use "Ungoogled Chromium v97" on my Win10 (and one Win7, but have not booted that for quite some time) and it shows skia as enabled by default.

do not have the font issues in Ungoogled Chromium v97 that I have on Edge v107 (where the edge://flags#edge-enhance-text-contrast was required for better font rendering).

Ungoogled Chromium v97 does not have a #edge-enhance-text-contrast flag.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, yoltboy01 said:

I‘m sorry guys but I‘m very confused right now. This topic was intended for the future of Chrome on Windows 7 and possibilities of running newer versions soon but I quite don‘t get what you are discussing here right now. It has nothing to do with the upcoming EOL

Here Hear!  This thread was supposed to be about the future of using release versions of Chrome and Chromium on Windows 7.  Now it's gone to another place completely.

Are there any equivalent threads on Firefox ESR and release versions?  Their plans seem a tad up in the air right now.

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Now it's gone to another place completely.

edit - Just where is the thread supposed to go?  Isn't the topic kind of "speculative" at this point?

Here is Chromium v103 running in Win7.  I believe the topic was in regards to v102 and higher, unless I'm mistaken?  But again, entirely speculative as Chrome/Chromium still supports Win7.

My Win7's Chromium will be following the GDIChromium project to see if its developer will continue Win7 support after Chrome/Chromium discontinues their "support" some time next year.

edit - until "upstream" does end support, the nature of this thread is entirely speculative.  How can we know what developers will maintain Win7 support before Win7 support has even ended?

Kafan Mini-Browser, DCBrowser, 360Chrome - all extend web browser support for XP but none existed until "upstream" support for XP had ended several weeks/months prior.

So yeah, this thread will become much MUCH more important after "upstream" officially ends Win7 "support".

image.thumb.png.ed60f21e236a1ec0bee09a9dae016ff3.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Official Chromium browser snapshot 1070779 (110.0.5417.0 - at https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win_x64/1070779/) is available today. No work has been done to break Windows 7 compatibility yet.

Vista and 7 will have a harder time because of the lack of support of nested job objects in those operating systems. Though even if VxKex and Vista Extended Kernel are unable to enhance job objects in time, I think we can run them with --no-sandbox in the interim. as most of the code relevant to job objects is in the sandbox.

Edited by win32

19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

edit - Just where is the thread supposed to go?  Isn't the topic kind of "speculative" at this point?

Sure it is speculative.  But for pages and pages, it seemed to go off topic talking about gaming/video performance that seemed to affect a couple fringe users and not most of us.  Any, I'll leave you to it, and also bail on the thread.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, win32 said:

--no-sandbox in the interim. as most of the code relevant to job objects is in the sandbox.

Starting somewhere from Chrome 103 or so, it launches without this flag and *weirdly enough* works quite fine, but may crash on some certain heavy websites. 

Did you do something in the new kernel or it's the devs who dropped some code in the later Win-7-goodbye versions ?

Anyways, I believe you'll win in any case.

I will basically ignore that this topic was pulled into another topic throughout this long conversation and will now come back to the origins of why I created it:

I just updated Chromium on my Windows 8.1 Laptop and v110 seems to work fine, although the last official version for 7/8.1 will be v109. I have no clue, if the mini-installer will still install that version on Windows 7/8.1, but I just unpacked the latest chromium-zip package and ran it. This could and will possibly change in the future. If I think back to Windows Vista, Chrome 50 could still be installed manually, without any issues and Chromium went up till v51, without any errors. So, we might be able to run v110 and some newer ones unofficially, before they break the support completely, by adding W10/11 specific Api‘s into the game.

[Off topic: I tried installing the latest HP Easy Start for configuring my printer and HP no longer supports 7/8.1 either. However, after unpacking the installer and running it manually, it worked. No dll/api issues. So, some programs seem to not break compatibility in their core, they just show off a warn message. Let‘s hope for some other programs to be like that in the future]

On 11/13/2022 at 3:51 PM, win32 said:

Official Chromium browser snapshot 1070779 (110.0.5417.0 - at https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win_x64/1070779/) is available today. No work has been done to break Windows 7 compatibility yet.

Vista and 7 will have a harder time because of the lack of support of nested job objects in those operating systems. Though even if VxKex and Vista Extended Kernel are unable to enhance job objects in time, I think we can run them with --no-sandbox in the interim. as most of the code relevant to job objects is in the sandbox.

As far as i know, BSD/true unix world mantains their chromium ports without a full multi-process sandboxing environment as well.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

Now we are on 110.0.5425.0, and it will no longer launch on a regular Windows 7 install. Three functions needed so far:

SetThreadInformation

SetProcessMitigationPolicy

GetProcessMitigationPolicy

These are all wrappers to older ntdll functions, so they should be easy to add, to some extent. If not, this new code is all in the sandbox anyway.

Edited by win32

17 hours ago, win32 said:

Now we are on 110.0.5425.0, and it will no longer launch on a regular Windows 7 install. Three functions needed so far:

SetThreadInformation

SetProcessMitigationPolicy

GetProcessMitigationPolicy

These are all wrappers to older ntdll functions, so they should be easy to add, to some extent. If not, this new code is all in the sandbox anyway.

Thanks for checking it win32. You already gave your best with Vista's extended kernel (for which I'm still grateful till this day) and I hope that you will be able to make Chrome run again on Windows 7 after it's final release. Let's also hope that they won't make it harder for Windows 7. Would these functions be easy to add on Vista's extended kernel as well or would you say that we might have to say goodbye to Chrome on Vista, until you manage to add them there too?