Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

On 11/8/2022 at 4:12 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Hi to all.:)

What would be the advantage of using unupdated Chrome over Firefox?

In the past, I certainly did have specific reasons for using Chrome. Mostly that certain websites worked properly with it while others didn't. Things likely changed and now I can't really think of any real reason to want to prefer Chrome for anything, except maybe to stop Google Drive from showing the incompatible browser message.

So I think my initial reasoning for wanting to stick with Chrome is just old ideas, or perhaps that it is what I had been used to.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

In the past, I certainly did have specific reasons for using Chrome. Mostly that certain websites worked properly with it while others didn't. Things likely changed and now I can't really think of any real reason to want to prefer Chrome for anything, except maybe to stop Google Drive from showing the incompatible browser message.

So I think my initial reasoning for wanting to stick with Chrome is just old ideas, or perhaps that it is what I had been used to.

If you find any websites that don't work properly with Firefox you can report here:

https://github.com/webcompat/web-bugs/issues

I thank you for your response.:hello:

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

@D.Draker - I guess this KIND OF sounds like "we" were promoting Firefox.  :dubbio:

Define "we", who's we ? I was not promoting anything. 

And I'm not much into guessing games and reading between the lines, sorry to disappoint. I think you got the wrong impression of me.

I'm into techno stuff . That's it.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, UCyborg said:

Certainly it doesn't work as expected on Windows.

Here, like I said, when it's on default, chrome will scan the PC for any supported driver and will turn it on, if it's satisfied.

There are exceptions, it will not do it :

1 - If you have it disabled in advance. (obviously).

2 - Your GPU/driver is old or in the chrome's blacklist. (which is a big list in json format).

Here is the result when it scans mine , (with the flag in default position).

It will just say Driver Vulkan API not supported. So it definitely scans for the API in the default setting !

Otherwise, how could you explain the troubles of the 1-day-ago-joiner from the above ?

Screenshot_20221109_002107.png

His trouble began when you advised to clean up Chrome folder to stop the updates.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

It will just say Driver Vulkan API not supported. So it definitely scans for the API in the default setting !

Sure, but we never saw his chrome://gpu page and that Vulkan as actively used for rendering and causing trouble.

He also claimed he didn't notice any difference with or without --disable-gpu, which implies no GPU acceleration of any kind, so no Vulkan neither.

Though the difference is very obvious on the systems where GPU acceleration works properly as far as I'm concerned, especially if you watch videos in the browser, run WebGL stuff etc.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

His trouble began when you advised to clean up Chrome folder to stop the updates.

I'd say his weird troubles, 'cause no one else had them. And he wrote only the Vulkan files gave him the troubles, not my method in general.

'Cause it finally worked for him.

The most important he (and looks like you too) missed in my instructions, you need to replace with blanks, not just "clean".

--disable-gpu will switch off ALL regarding the GPU, so I just have my doubts he followed the instructions precisely.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:45 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm not sure if I've asked in the past, have you shared your full command-line startup switches for "skia only"?

Yeah, I don't remember, honestly. I have quite a lot of posts ... so you won't have to browse them through again, here you go.

Had to search again for you. Enjoy.

Start with this one ! --disable-gpu-early-init

Then these. The order here doesn't matter.

--disable-software-rasterizer 

--disable-webgl 

--disable-histogram-customizer 

--disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

--disable-gpu-rasterization 

--disable-reading-from-canvas 

--canvas-msaa-sample-count=0 

--disable-gpu

--disable-gpu-program-cache

--disable-gpu-watchdog

--disable-gpu-compositing

--disable-vulkan

--vulkan-null

--disable-gpu-driver-bug-workarounds

--disable-gpu-memory-buffer-compositor-resources

--disable-gpu-memory-buffer-video-frames

--disable-gpu-program-cache

The last three-four, may not be needed on old, weak or outdated hardware.

Add this if you have a DX12 native card, I don't remember your card.

--disable-gpu-process-for-dx12-info-collection

Here you can try some others yourself and get back to me with findings.

https://kapeli.com/cheat_sheets/Chromium_Command_Line_Switches.docset/Contents/Resources/Documents/index

I have a question for you, how did you (or didn't?) solve the problem with gawdly awful (eye fatiguing)

fonts in newer chromes, since disable direct write was removed ?

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I have a question for you, how did you (or didn't?) solve the problem with gawdly awful (eye fatiguing)

fonts in newer chromes, since disable direct write was removed ?

For Win7 this doesn't seem to be sufficient.  But for Win10, all I needed to do was disable the OS's "Segoe" font using a registry "font substitute" and replace Segoe with Tahoma.

Then use uMatrix to not allow third-party fonts.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, UCyborg said:

Though the difference is very obvious on the systems where GPU acceleration works properly as far as I'm concerned, especially if you watch videos in the browser, run WebGL stuff etc.

To put it nicely and polite, like I always do. Chrome's implementation of hardware video acceleration is simply idiotic. It requires another process to run which obviously consumes RAM and CPU resources. And what exactly are you going to accelerate if 90% of youtube videos are AV1, HEVC, H265, VP9 , Vp8 ? I'm not aware of our members with modern enough hardware to support these. Yet again , still very questionable. As an example, GTX titan X doesn't support any of these. 

I'm personally experiencing a bottleneck that has to do with presentation of decoded video frames (I think). My GPU can only decode H.264, but as far as codecs available on YouTube go, I only block AV1, so it falls back to VP9 for most videos, which has to be decoded on a CPU in my case. Running the browser with --disable-gpu causes frame drops, but otherwise it's fine (at least as fine as can be on Chromium). So 3D acceleration of other parts of the browser helps, but the fallbacks are very slow.

On the other hand, Firefox fares much better in software mode. A dropped frame there or there, but you can tell you're running a 60 FPS video rather than laggy unwatchable mess.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

1 - I'm personally experiencing a bottleneck that has to do with presentation of decoded video frames (I think). My GPU can only decode H.264, but as far as codecs available on YouTube go, I only block AV1, so it falls back to VP9 for most videos, which has to be decoded on a CPU in my case.

2 - Running the browser with --disable-gpu causes frame drops, but otherwise it's fine (at least as fine as can be on Chromium). So 3D acceleration of other parts of the browser helps, but the fallbacks are very slow.

1 - that's exactly what I've just said.

2 - That's because they recently blocked Skia (hardware renderer) from running. Here's the explanations - everything's on soft now. I'm gonna stick to pre-104 Chrome.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/?do=findComment&comment=1229252

On 11/10/2022 at 9:45 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Then use uMatrix to not allow third-party fonts.

Thnx. Isn't there a checkbox for this in uBlock ?

BTW, what was the last easy-on-CPU uBlock , I find 1.4x to be very slow and sluggish.

"BTW, what was the last easy-on-CPU uBlock , I find 1.4x to be very slow and sluggish."

_ Hmm why I use uBlock Origin v1.26.2 in DCBrowser and 360Chrome v13.5 and v13.0 ?..

"Isn't there a checkbox for this in uBlock ?"

- of course, yes.

Edited by msfntor