Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

3 hours ago, ChromEum said:

Where did you find that?

What do you mean where > it's a well known chrome flag.

This "Vulkan" is a piece of crapware, read here,

https://www.reddit.com/r/swaywm/comments/jxw7vy/vulkan_is_now_enabled_on_chrome_unstabledev/

"Enabling Vulkan breaks GPU compositing, zero-copy, native GPU memory buffers, and WebGL is completely broken.

You want to disable Vulkan via chrome://flags or add --disable-features=Vulkan to your chrome-flags.conf."

Or just use my flag from before . at startup via cmd line.

Tried stock Chrome version 107 on work laptop running Win10 1809 and Vulkan is disabled by default. I don't expect them to enable it by default on stable channel unless they manage to polish it and put reliable fallbacks in place for older graphics cards / GPU driver combinations.

15 hours ago, D.Draker said:

That was on Linux...don't know how broken Chrome's Vulkan backend is these days on different platforms, though it wouldn't surprise me if it's currently still more broken on Linux compared to Windows. Certainly it doesn't work as expected on Windows.

One thing I learned about Linux systems (the ones that can be put on regular desktop computers) and the software running on it is to not expect greatness when it comes to anything using a GPU. IMHO, Linux is to be put on a server in the basement then forget about it, not something to be used on the desktop regularly. Though that's just me, I know it works fine as a desktop system for some people.

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Tried stock Chrome version 107 on work laptop running Win10 1809 and Vulkan is disabled by default.

Thank you.  Much more helpful than telling me something I've never heard of is well known or asking why I'm not on Firefox.

7 hours ago, ChromEum said:

Much more helpful than telling me something I've never heard of is well known or asking why I'm not on Firefox.

What are you ? A God or smth ? We only need to provide stuff which is "known to you" ? Oh, " you never heard of it before", lol. So what ?

What are you here for ? You're seeking help from experienced members and I gave you the link so you could get to know

You used my nice method and it worked for you, why are you being such an unappreciative *five letter word* ? (will not write this word)

For those who joined several hours ago:

https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/

7.b "This community is built upon mutual respect. You are not allowed to flame other members.

People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance.

If you ignore the warning and keep on flaming, you will be banned without notice."

I never asked you why you're not on "firefrox". No one here did.

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

That was on Linux...don't know how broken Chrome's Vulkan backend is these days on different platforms, though it wouldn't surprise me if it's currently still more broken on Linux compared to Windows. Certainly it doesn't work as expected on Windows.

Isn't this exactly what I've been saying for years ? Just in different words.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:
5 hours ago, ChromEum said:

Much more helpful than telling me something I've never heard of is well known or asking why I'm not on Firefox.

What are you ? A God or smth ? We only need to provide stuff which is "known to you" ? Oh, " you never heard of it before", lol. So what ?

What are you here for ? You're seeking help from experienced members and I gave you the link so you could get to know

You used my nice method and it worked for you, why are you being such an unappreciative *five letter word* ? (will not write this word)

For those who joined several hours ago:

https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/

7.b "This community is built upon mutual respect. You are not allowed to flame other members.

People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance.

If you ignore the warning and keep on flaming, you will be banned without notice."

I never asked you why you're not on "firefrox". No one here did.

Hello my friend @D.Draker! This is one of these members you should avoid providing any information or helping. yes.gif It's just wasted time. Let him use the search engine! buttonsearch.gif Anyway, mutual respect and thankfulness are "unknown" words for such people. smilie_denk_24.gifBeing a newbie, ignoring the forum rules (probably have never been read), and lacking of good manners, I especially love guys like that! :realmad:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Tried stock Chrome version 107 on work laptop running Win10 1809 and Vulkan is disabled by default

Win 10 might have different behaviour . We are talking about win 7, hence the topic name.

Surely not disabled on Win7 and Vista. It's at default with the favourite version 107.

See the screengrab. If I changed something, it would be in bluish colour.

Screenshot_20221108_221652.png

The flag is just an override, I'm talking about the effective state with the flag at Default and the Vulkan status on chrome://gpu page. I don't know, searching around, Vulkan backend seems to be of most interest to Chrome users on Linux at this time.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:
10 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Certainly it doesn't work as expected on Windows.

Isn't this exactly what I've been saying for years ? Just in different words.

I don't remember it in the context of Chrome's Vukan renderer backend, which is more or less experimental in practice. I wouldn't say Vulkan in general as a low-level graphics API is bad, but to each their own.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I'm talking about the effective state with the flag at Default and the Vulkan status on chrome://gpu page.

Guess it depends on whether you have a vulcano capable Nvidia video driver installed. I don't and I won't . But I compared with or without it . No difference, so why do we need something we can't even find under the microscope? lol. Anyways, from what I surely know about chrome, it now depends more on skia renderer on more modern OS, surely not that "volcano" nonsense.

Read some reports of blurry and/or missing fonts due to the usage of skia on win 7, but no problems on Win 8 .

EDIT : I had disabled all, a long time ago, and Chrome's just blazingly fast. I don't know what are they getting their money for, honestly.

Decades of fake developments. Understand - developers need salaries.

Note : only SKIA is ON .

Screenshot_20221109_001251.png

Edited by D.Draker