Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

At least with Mozilla based browsers, you can download a specific version and just never update it.

Mozilla got more insistent with updates with time with their Firefox, you have to apply a group policy setting to be sure it won't update. Or never visit the about dialog, though I can't say if this alone works.

Last time I checked Vivaldi, it didn't include the Chrome-like updater, but had its own mechanism. You could update it or not, your choice.

I managed to keep Edge on version 94, but it's only easier on Win10 as certain extra registry keys may be respected that force it to follow group policy setting, which it normally does not. Can open the about page in settings and it'll say the browser is managed by your organization rather than update.

So far, updated Pale Moon has managed to cover most of my needs, keeping fingers crossed it stays that way into the future. But in any case, never updating a web browser hasn't proved a viable long-term strategy so far. The oldest browser engine I personally use is the one from Chrome 87 on my smartphone. I'd still be on version 79 if it wasn't for optional-chaining and nullish-coalescing operators.

Edited by UCyborg

dunno about others
but i will use Librewolf (97 which is FF 97 based), as long as "web allows it", i have it spoofed to show some gigantic version of crome
so in my eyes the only problem might arise from java-script engine later in future, coz html 5 / css 3 aren't doing anything new

and if that fails, i will try with Falkon (ex QupZilla) based on QtWebkit
and if that fails then i guess Palemoon is last option ?

Strangely, the nag message on Chrome Dev/Chromium 109 disappeared on Windows 8.1. Three days ago it started showing the same EOL message of XP/Vista for Windows 7/8.1 but today it was gone. I even reinstalled both browsers on Test machines and it showed nothing. The about:chrome Tab also says Up to Date and no warning message at all. Curious if this is a bug or intentionally 

On 11/5/2022 at 12:51 AM, mina7601 said:

The nag message appeared for me once I updated Chrome Canary to the latest version on my Windows 7 x64 VM.

chromewin7eol.png

So it's official and happened even earlier, starting on the 5th of November 2022 - no more Chrome for Windows 7. Thanks, , going to celebrate.

Edited by D.Draker

I, on the other hand if I were you all, would start installing Firefox 102 ESR.
An elementary setting in about:config + settings is enough to have some additional privacy/security.

As a security/privacy extension it only needs UBlock Origin or AdGuard extension.

These 2 extensions with Firefox will also not be affected by MV3.

MSFN members using Chromium-based browsers (except Brave) will sooner or later have to use UBO Lite/AdGuard MV3.

To those who have a need I can give some advice.:yes::hello:

17 hours ago, D.Draker said:

So it's official and happened even earlier, starting on the 5th of November 2022 - no more Chrome for Windows 7. Thanks, , going to celebrate.

Also don't forget to mourn for no more Chrome for Windows Vista with Extended kernel - unless Win32 manages to run the W10 versions of it.

Also don't be happy that early - eventually a Chinese fork (just like 360chrome) will allow us to get newer Chrome versions running on Windows 7 - which I don't care since it's going to drop Manifest v2 support in 2024 (can go and ---- itself with it) and I'm currently on Firefox (using Slimjet only for things like Discord and YT Music).

7 hours ago, SC7601 said:

Also don't be happy that early - eventually a Chinese fork (just like 360chrome) will allow us to get newer Chrome versions running on Windows 7 - which I don't care since it's going to drop Manifest v2 support in 2024 (can go and ---- itself with it) and I'm currently on Firefox (using Slimjet only for things like Discord and YT Music).

Indeed you're right, why use the "evil imperialistic" Chrome that "can go and **** itself", when you have the wonderful and conveneint Turkish browser and Turkish OS.

So no need to wait for the Chinese to make Win-7 compatible Chrome forks.

15 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I, on the other hand if I were you all, would start installing Firefox 102 ESR.
An elementary setting in about:config + settings is enough to have some additional privacy/security.

As a security/privacy extension it only needs UBlock Origin or AdGuard extension.

These 2 extensions with Firefox will also not be affected by MV3.

MSFN members using Chromium-based browsers (except Brave) will sooner or later have to use UBO Lite/AdGuard MV3.

To those who have a need I can give some advice.:yes::hello:

Thank you in advance ! I'll bookmark this and get back to you in 2025 (if I'll still be alive, of course, which no one can be sure these days).

Why 2025 ? I'm going to use my self made fork based on Chrome 102 up to 2025. Am I too optimistic ? Thanks again.

On 11/2/2022 at 2:08 PM, Tripredacus said:

At least with Mozilla based browsers, you can download a specific version and just never update it.

To stop chrome updates forever. You only need these files present (on the photo). 

Everything else - replace with blanks with the same extension, so it won't be whining about the missing files and whatnot.

easy peasy

Screenshot_20221106_234127.png

7 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I know you don't read the topics/posts of Vista forum, but:

"Managing" and "planning" are two separate things. In this context, he haven't managed to add 8/10 functions (yet), so rather let me know when he has managed to do it.

10 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Indeed you're right, why use the "evil imperialistic" Chrome that "can go and **** itself", when you have the wonderful and conveneint Turkish browser and Turkish OS.

So no need to wait for the Chinese to make Win-7 compatible Chrome forks.

You don't seem to get why I said that, I don't care about the country where it comes. I download from Russian sites a lot (should have I said that? :whistle:) I said it because they are removing Manifest V2 support and MV3 makes ad blockers less functional than before. Even I got no extensions working on first page open (YT Music), you have to reload the page in order to get extensions working. Chromium works better than FF, but we shouldn't let one browser (engine) to take over all the Web. So use Firefox at least few times just to increase the market share.

Anyway, hopefully I won't have to install Linux to a second partition (just to browse the web) if I get a job and save for my next PC. Just going to put a LTS(C) version of Windows 10 and call it a day.