WerTweak - tool for Windows 10/11 to make Windows Error Reporting provide (more) feedback in case of application crashes like in older Windows

UCyborg

I recently found out about WerTweak. Binaries aren't provided, but compiling it is straightforward. Since I did it for personal usage, I figured there might be other people who might appreciate being able to download them for themselves, so I published them under my repository. Installation instructions are in the README on the main page.

I encountered one of those freaky Windows problems on one of my installations where WER refuses to show crash dialog even for plain applications with normal GUI, when the group policy setting DontShowUI=0 is set (Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors set to Disabled), so the crash dialog should be shown. The issue is not encountered on the fresh installation of the exact same Windows 10 build. No idea what went wrong and how to solve it to behave as intended, but the tool also restores the dialog in this case.

Good find for systems where I may want to keep WER enabled. :) On some PCs where I feel the dumps are too bloated, not getting properly cleaned up by cleanmgr, or in cases where MS isn't going to fix anything, I disable WER completely but for some PCs, I keep it enabled.

The nice thing about the dialog, besides knowing the program just crashed, is the ability to choose whether to launch the debugger (lookup AeDebug) or just close the program. I noticed there's another dialog, presumably OS provided, that pops up if WerFault.exe isn't functional where you can also select whether to attach the debugger.

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2022 at 12:13 AM, UCyborg said:

I encountered one of those freaky Windows problems on one of my installations where WER refuses to show crash dialog even for plain applications with normal GUI, when the group policy setting DontShowUI=0 is set (Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors set to Disabled), so the crash dialog should be shown.

Huh, I just realized this doesn't happen on cold boot, so I guess it appears with uptime and/or hybrid shutdown/startup cycles.

So perhaps my Windows installation isn't (as) messed up in a way that could only be easily and reliably fixed with fresh install.

Still, would be nice to know what causes faultrep.dll to include WER_SUBMIT_QUEUE flag when calling WerReportSubmit, but I'm a bit rusty at analyzing the code and well, some problems are just beyond me.