End of Virus Definitions for Eset NOD32 Below Version 10

Zorba the Geek

Eset have ceased to supply updates for versions of NOD32 Antivirus below 10 on 19th September 2022. What to do?

I love using version 8.0.319 because it retains the classic GUI, it is light on system resources, and it has some advanced features like anti stealth technology and advanced heuristics, so I would prefer to manually update it rather than upgrade to version 10. Here are some options I would like to discuss:

• Manually Update Version 8.0319. There are several sites that provide regularly updated NOD32 updates which can be found using a Google search for upd.ver. It is possible that servers for version 4 also include updates for versions 5,6,7, and 8. Here is the most recently updated one I could find. It contains hundreds of files with file names with the nodxxxx.nup format including those with the same file names as those in my installation except more recent. If I wanted to copy over files from this online archive to the AllUsersProfile\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\updfiles folder should I always choose files with file names the same as those I currently use? The file names of the contents of the updfiles folder were different when I first installed NOD32  with trial updates.
  • Change over to the ESET Endpoint Antivirus and utilize offline updating and the updates provided for version 6.5 every three days by a certain Facebook user which I have decided not to link to.  It may be necessary to use version 5 under XP.
  • Upgrade to version 10 and either pay for a subscription or else try to copy files from an online archive to the updfiles folder. If using version 10 under Windows XP it means that some features will not work.
  • It may be possible to edit the registry settings of version 8.0.319 to change the server to a location on your hard drive.
Edited by Zorba the Geek
Removed link to Facebook page offering regularly updated virus definitions.

Hello @Zorba the Geek! This topic has already been treated extensively in two other threads.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:30 PM, Leifman said:

Unfortunately starting from TODAY (a few hours ago to be exact) it is no longer possible to update ESET NOD32 Antivirus on xp :'( they gave an 'End of life' to all versions up to 9 included, which coincidentally is the latest working version on XP.

I've been using (and still am) NOD32 for so long now... in the past i even used version 5 or 6 till that one End of life'd/stopped updating... and today unfortunately 9 did :( was a good run and silly of them to do it to begin with honestly... this afternoon i still updated up to:

26000     Sep-28-2022, 10:38 CEST (UTC/GMT +02:00)

We all know now that ESET has also abandoned the update of the virus definitions for ESET 8 and 9. This means that there won't be recent virus definitions for these versions anymore. So, I don't quite understand what you actually want to discuss here. ESET 8 and 9 will remain on its last date of definitions update (September of 2022) forever. It is very unlikely that virus definitions targeting Eset 10 and above will be compatible with Eset 9 and below. And that, simply put, is the end. What can be done now? Either leave everything as it is ntars.gif or, what I did, uninstall Eset completely! bye.gif
Here is what I already posted, and sorry for the bad news! sorry.gif 
Cheers, AstroSkipper surmene.gif

On 10/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Unfortunately, I have to confirm your observation. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 can't update its virus definitions anymore. And, that's definitely the end for ESET on my computers. Due to this fact, I uninstalled it completely which is not as easy as it is for other AVs. As expected, it was impossible to remove ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 via its uninstaller under the System Panel -> Software. Same problem if applying its entry in the Start Menu. Such experiences, I had made a lot with ESET in the past. Here are the steps how to uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 completely in Windows XP:

1. Download ESETUninstaller 7.0.7.0 (legacy version): https://help.eset.com/eset_tools/ESETUninstaller_7.0.7.0.exe link.gif
  2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
  3. Execute ESETUninstaller_7.0.7.0.exe.
  4. Read carefully the instructions and options in the cmd window.
  5. When finished, restart your computer.

You can only uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 in Safe Mode.
Here is a link with a more detailed instruction for different Windows versions provided by ESET: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool link.gif
Rest in peace, ESET! cursor.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 10/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, DrunkenTanker said:

If you pay money to ESET then the best way is to send mail to ESET. Anyway mail to ESET is better way.

Sure, send an email to Eset, and everything will be fine! nonono.gif Seriously?nimportequoi.gif

On 10/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, DrunkenTanker said:

You may use own server to update definitions, but somebody should make new format compatible with old versions.

Who is somebodyvertsennuie.gif Unfortinately, I fear your somebody will never appear! Just as always when an AV program is abandoned! jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 10/23/2022 at 5:24 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Zorba the Geek! This topic has already been treated extensively in two other threads.

We all know now that ESET has also abandoned the update of the virus definitions for ESET 8 and 9. This means that there won't be recent virus definitions for these versions anymore. So, I don't quite understand what you actually want to discuss here. ESET 8 and 9 will remain on its last date of definitions update (September of 2022) forever. It is very unlikely that virus definitions targeting Eset 10 and above will be compatible with Eset 9 and below. And that, simply put, is the end. What can be done now? Either leave everything as it is or, what I did, uninstall Eset completely!
Here is what I already posted, and sorry for the bad news!
Cheers, AstroSkipper

You would understand what I want to discuss here if you had bothered to read my list of possible workarounds.  Obviously ESET no longer supply virus definitions for versions of NOD32 below 10, but as my original post states there are unofficial update servers which are supplying daily updates that look as if they could be compatible with with these unsupported versions of NOD32.  There is also a Facebook user who is continuing to supply virus definitions for ESET Endpoint Antivirus Version 6.5 every three days. 

As for the other thread where the subject has been extensively treated titled "Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?" this only has your unhelpful comment about uninstalling NOD32, and Leifman's comment about being safe enough continuing to use NOD32 without further virus definition updates.

Edited by Zorba the Geek

I have decided to remove the information I posted here about unofficial update servers for two reasons.  Firstly, these sites could be run by crooks who want to include malware with the virus definitions. Secondly, ESET are hyper vigilant about stamping out methods for obtaining their products without paying for them, so these sites could be shut down.  If you have discovered other such sites, or Facebook users who offer regular virus definition packages I advice you not to post links to them here.

Edited by Zorba the Geek

11 hours ago, Zorba the Geek said:

You would understand what I want to discuss here if you had bothered to read my list of possible workarounds.  Obviously ESET no longer supply virus definitions for versions of NOD32 below 10, but as my original post states there are unofficial update servers which are supplying daily updates that look as if they could be compatible with with these unsupported versions of NOD32.  There is also a Facebook user who is continuing to supply virus definitions for version 6.5 every three days. 

As for the other thread where the subject has been extensively treated titled "Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?" this only has your unhelpful comment about uninstalling NOD32, and Leifman's comment about being safe enough continuing to use NOD32 without further virus definition updates.

First, no reason to be rude! And now: Unofficial update servers! No trust! :no: smiley-000182053-1.png Compatibility? Unknown. vertsennuie.gif

daily updates that look as if they could be compatible with with these unsupported versions of NOD32

I would only trust ESET to make virus definitions. A third person might inject bad code. And, making definition updates compatible is a complex process needing the knowledge of ESET and testing without any end. Therefore, no real chance to do that! nimportequoi.gif

this only has your unhelpful comment about uninstalling NOD32

My comment about uninstalling NOD32 is very helpful because ESET NOD32 9 (and beow) has reached End-Of-Life (EOL), and there are definitely problems to get rid of this crap. And, that means for me doing that: cursor.gif PasserAspirateur.gif
Therefore, both your comment and your considerations unfortunately lead to nothing. Anyway, you can consider whatever you want, of course. :whistle: Have a nice day!

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I have cracked it!  Regular updates for NOD32 Antivirus version 8.0.319 provided by an unofficial update server.  Unfortunately the forum rules about circumventing license restrictions prevents me from providing details about how it can be done. However, I hope I can give you some idea of how I did it without being specific and getting myself banned.  I found a Youtube video that provided a link in the description for a patch that enables a dialogue box in the update settings in which you can specify a server.  The person who uploaded the video had his account terminated after a few days thanks to the vigilance of ESET.  I logged the changes made by the patch, and noted that no files are over-written or patched, and only the registry was changed.  From this log I made a registry file.  After NOD32 AV is installed in the usual way, a well known activation patch is applied in safe mode along with the registry file.  Then you enter the address of the server in in the update settings, and update in the usual way.  I have yet to see if automatic updates still work.

You should note that obtaining virus definitions from an unofficial update server is a risky thing to do, as AstroSkipper has made clear.  There could be a legitimate reason for the existence of these unofficial update servers, or they could be run by Russian crooks.  Who knows?

Later I will demonstrate using the ESET Endpoint antivirus for offline updates if there is nothing involved that could get me banned.