Booting XP via freeldr from NTFS

Dietmar

8 minutes ago, Dietmar said:

@Andalu

You think this, but for example in the naked Ramsey *.iso are Sata drivers for Asmedia, IDE, 1006..etc.

For XP with ntldr it is not a problem, it just picks one. But freeldr does not like this

Dietmar

the error occurred anyway even when I used a more updated XP ISO (en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428).

Even then the sata driver was only one.

Edited by Andalu

@Dietmar

I did another fresh install of XP with the ISO 'en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428' with acpi v7777 (manually added) and the IRST driver v11.2.0.1106 integrated via nLite (only sata driver installed) and again I get the hive error message. I applied the same steps as for the working Italian XP ISO not updated.

Edited by Andalu

@Andalu

My is an via Nlite to SP3 updated XP SP1 CD from 2002

Dietmar

PS: Today I make some tests more, for example which drivers can be integrated with Ramsey on an original XP SP3 CD.

This is soso nice from Ramsey that you have the possibility, to use your own CD for the patcher.

@Andalu

Most copy programs are blind as much as possible.

They have an internal "Intelligence" with which they try to fit the copy of XP to the new bootdevice.

They only think, that they are intelligent.

freeldr looks for the disk signature, the size of the harddisk and the model.

If there is a missmatch, the "System Hive not found" message appears.

But you can trick out freeldr:P.

freeldr looks for missmatches. When you copy the whole folder system32 by hand to your new bootdevice, there is internal all ok,

because it was before. So suddently even not matching disksignatures do not matter

Dietmar

@Dietmar

I think the aspect you highlighted is certainly very important, but first comes the XP installation without issues.

On that note, I am having difficulty installing XP (and then booting it via freeldr) on the MSI Z590 with sata driver 11.2.0.1006 as using the same Italian ISO that worked on the Asus B250 here I get BSOD 7B even via ntldr.
Unfortunately Nlite is no longer reliable for driver integration on newer cards, better the optional script properly adapted to the driver to be installed.

The only way to be able to install XP with the sata 1006 driver is to use Ramsey's ISO with the script changes and the addition of another driver. But, in this case, booting via freeldr does not work.

By copying your two folders (system32 and Dokumente) booting works via both ntldr and freeldr but the system is almost unusable. By copying the two folders from the working SSD drive with the Italian XP ISO, I got the BSOD 7B.

Edited by Andalu

@Andalu

Take your Italian XP CD and integrate the driver from Kai Schtrom by hand.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/storahci-for-windows-2003/

Dont use any script, because freeldr checks a lot and if it does not like something it crashes.

The storport.sys you have to integrate via Nlite with thanks to @daniel_k

Just add this to TXTSETUP.SIF, under storprop.dll

storport.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,0,0,,1,4

This must also be present in DOSNET.INF, in section [FloppyFiles.x] (where x can be 1, 2 or 3) and in section [Files].

d1,storport.sys

Dietmar

@Dietmar

about the sata driver integration by hand, in addition to the entries in dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sys for storport.sys and the inclusion of storahci.sy_ , storhaci.in_ and storhaci.ca_ in the i386 folder and then storahci.sys and storhaci.inf in SP3.cab / DRIVER.cab, is it required to make other changes?

Edited by Andalu