Running Windows 2000 on modern motherboards, 0x0000007b blue screen

Hi all !

I have a win2000 licence key since 1999 and I installed this OS on every computer or disk I buyed from 1999 at today. 

I lost my cd-rom in 2003 but it was not a problem. It was enough to copy all the old disk files on new disk and there was no problem to run, because the OS is not PAE. 

In these days I needed to change the mother board with a "modern" ASRock G41M-VS3 (year 2011) but it gives me every kind of error message.   

The last is : stop: 0x0000007b <0xf601b84c,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000> inaccessible_boot_device, and I fear it's from the hardware of the motherboard. 

Can someone confirm my opinion ? 

0x0000007b is inaccessible boot device which translate to "I have no drivers for the boot disk", this is typical of a missing SATA driver.

You can try uniata:

http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/

No idea if it is compatible with your hardware, though, nor how exactly you can install it on an existing installed system (since you have not the CD anymore, you would probably need to check if one is available on archive.org[1]).

jaclaz

[1] this might do of you are looking for the Italian version: https://archive.org/details/windows-2000-italiano-raccolta-di-mrgass

1 hour ago, Retrocomputing said:

Hi all !

I have a win2000 licence key since 1999 and I installed this OS on every computer or disk I buyed from 1999 at today. 

I lost my cd-rom in 2003 but it was not a problem. It was enough to copy all the old disk files on new disk and there was no problem to run, because the OS is not PAE. 

In these days I needed to change the mother board with a "modern" ASRock G41M-VS3 (year 2011) but it gives me every kind of error message.   

The last is : stop: 0x0000007b <0xf601b84c,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000> inaccessible_boot_device, and I fear it's from the hardware of the motherboard. 

Can someone confirm my opinion ? 

go to bios and change the SATA operation to ATA or IDE mode not AHCI

you can found AHCI driver for windows 2000 in wlu site of blacwingcat but until now you can go to bios and change sata mode

Edited by WinWord2000

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Seems to be useful but I can't load the system yet, I can press F8 during the loading but it crashes to the error mesage (blue screen).

[1] this might do of you are looking for the Italian version: https://archive.org/details/windows-2000-italiano-raccolta-di-mrgass

This seems to be very usefull, many thanks !

1 hour ago, WinWord2000 said:

go to bios and change the SATA operation to ATA or IDE mode not AHCI

you can found AHCI driver for windows 2000 in wlu site of blacwingcat but until now you can go to bios and change sata mode

I'm using a Pata HDD and there are no Sata disk plugged to the hardware. I will try your solution tomorrow

10 hours ago, Retrocomputing said:

I'm using a Pata HDD and there are no Sata disk plugged to the hardware. I will try your solution tomorrow

So it cannot be the SATA (or AHCI) driver missing, in any case do check the BIOS for related settings.

I wonder what it could be, 7b is typical of a mass storage device driver missing or mis-configured, other possible issues tend to give different errors.

And when "transplanting" a NT OS the two things that usually tend to go wrong are the SATA/AHCI or the HAL/Kernel, but a "wrong" HAL would normally give another error, 0x0000000A if I recall correctly.

If you have a second spare hard disk, it would be probably easier to attempt a new install from CD/ISO and compare which drivers and HAL are used by the new install (if it succeeds).

jaclaz

No SATA/AHCI label in the bios, the only voices about HDD are Advanced / Storage Configuration / Ata-Ide Configuration (Disabled/compatible/enhanced).

If I choose Compatible I can setup Legacy IDE Channels (Sata1, 2, 3, 4 / Ide1, Sata2, Sata4 / Sata1, Sata3, Ide1 / Pata only).

I setup Compatible/Pata only and grab this picture.  

20221014b_Bios_pcbaby_eliot.jpg

It is strange, the interfaces are anyway called "SATA".

The manual:

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/G41M-VS3.pdf

at page 41 is not particularly understandable.

I suspect that this particular motherboard/chipset (ICH7) may use some sort of "bridge" between SATA and PATA, but the reference in the manual to Windows NT should mean that it should be compatible (if Windows NT can be installed, then definitely Windows 2000 can).

Could it be the setting of PCI IDE BUS MASTER (page 43 of the manual? :unsure:

Viceversa - could it be that your old motherboard (last on which that disk/OS was working) had some particular mass storage or chipset/bus driver installed?

In the good ol' times there was a FixIDE script for BartPe to solve similar problems, and a mergeIDE.reg from MS, but those,  were for XP, not 2000, maybe some info is valid also for 2000, but I don't know:

https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_KB_Archive/314082

I still think that you need to find a way to install a fresh 2K to that computer to see which drivers are actually used.

jaclaz

How did it end ?

I found an iso with win2k sp4 on the mrgass pages and installed it.

Now everything works perfectly.

I changed the licenses with mine and therefore I think I am in compliance with the law :-)

As soon as possible I will try to compare the folders of the 2 installations to understand which driver was giving problems.

Yes, it doesn't matter the source, the serial/license is what counts.

This confirms that the issue was somehow some old driver installed for your "old" motherboard, the usual advice when transferring an XP (or a 2K) is to generalize as much as possible the current installation (though in some cases it is not easy/possible).

I don't think you will be able to pinpoint the specific driver giving problems by directory comparing, you would need to analyze the two Registries (not easy at all).

jaclaz