Date Options

we3fan

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

I was trying few programs, kindly suggested by @NotHereToPlayGames and @AstroSkipper.

In TClock Light, I use Customize format ON: hh:nn:ss \n ddd, dd/mm/yy
And it looks like this:
1.png.c22a172138480e402afd5919eb9b79b8.png

The weekday starts with small letter.
Can I make to start with Capital letter?

I can't see in your profile which country you are from. So, I don't know what your mother tongue is, either. I am German, and all my weekdays start with capital letters. Anyway, my suggestion is to modify the appropriate language file in TClock Light's program folder. All weekdays of your preferred language should be contained in its corresponding language file. You simply have to edit it to your personal needs. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

@we3fan! By the way, I also had to readjust the German language file due to a wrong layout. The option "Bold"="Fett" shown in the setting tab was cut off and therefore not completely visible anymore. I fixed that by inserting spaces in the corresponding regions of this file. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Anyway, my suggestion is to modify the appropriate language file in TClock Light's program folder. All weekdays of your preferred language should be contained in its corresponding language file. You simply have to edit it to your personal needs. :)

I had a look at the German language file located in the subfolder Lang. Unfortunately, I couldn't find there the German weekdays Mo, Di, Mi, Do, Fr, Sa, and So. The program uses presumably the weekdays from the system language files. Therefore, I fear you can't do anything about it unless you would modify your system language files. :(

Edited by AstroSkipper

Yes, I also think I need to modify my system language files in order to achieve that. (change first Month letter from small to Capital)
In   Regional and Language Options > Regional Options > Standards and formats   the first 10 languages on my system for example, in 8 of them the Month starts with small letter, in 2 of them the Month starts with Capital letter, so it's different for all.

Where are these system language files located?
And is it possible to modify them?

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

My Windows XP Professional SP3 is an original German version. I have never thought about in which files the weekdays and months are located. There was no need to do that in the past! :no: When I'm back at my desktop computer, I'll see if I can find these files. But I can't promise anything. Presumably, it depends on the already existing version of Windows XP, too. There are multilanguage versions of Windows XP Professional. Or, the user has installed one or more language packs subsequently. BTW, you should also ask yourself whether all the effort is really worth it just because of the upper and lower case of a few strings. :dubbio:
Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper smilie-schild-035.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 10/14/2022 at 3:31 PM, we3fan said:

I found the file where the weekdays and months of different languages are contained. The German weekdays and months are located there, too. ssupercool2.gif The file can be found in the folder windows\system32\ and is called locale.nls. Open this file with a Hex editor and search for the corresponding strings in your native language! uniforme4.gif
PS: I was able to edit this file and change successfully the German month "Dezember" to "dezember", just for fun, of course. :thumbup Frankly, I do not need to change anything with regards to this language file. :P Anyway, the hex editor I used was WinHex 20.3:) You can find my recommendations of  hex editors in this post:

And now, a final tip! Backup the file locale.nls first and be careful when editing the strings! Do not change other signs, only the first ones of your months and weekdays otherwise you might destroy the file structure! :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Many thanks. :)

I also managed to change small letter to Capital letter of the month October.

I was curious if this was possible and how it was done, I hoped the edit would be fast and simple.
But, it was not simple and it took long enough to change even 1 letter.
So now, knowing how it's done, I would say you are right, the effort is not really worth it.

But I am glad we tried it, thanks again.

Edited by we3fan

On 10/15/2022 at 5:05 PM, we3fan said:

Many thanks. :)

I also managed to change small letter to Capital letter of the month October.

I was curious if this was possible and how it was done, I hoped the edit would be fast and simple.
But, it was not simple and it took long enough to change even 1 letter.
So now, knowing how it's done, I would say you are right, the effort is not really worth it.

But I am glad we tried it, thanks again.

You're welcome! :) Actually, the modification of the German strings were no problem at all. Just a few seconds, and it was done!! In your language, I can't assess the effort, though. Anyway, from now on we know where these modifications have to be done. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I have Cyrillic letters, so typing the letter directly didn't work, I had to find out the hex value for the corresponding Cyrillic letter, so that
made it a bit more challenging.

You can look at HxD. It has made some efforts in Unicode support and has a built-in converter in the Data Inspector. Type in the WideChar / 16 box to get normal Unicode, or in the UTF-8 box for web/linux Unicode.

Why did Microsoft decide to translate days of the week and months into local languages out everything else?

4 hours ago, j7n said:

You can look at HxD. It has made some efforts in Unicode support and has a built-in converter in the Data Inspector. Type in the WideChar / 16 box to get normal Unicode, or in the UTF-8 box for web/linux Unicode.

Why did Microsoft decide to translate days of the week and months into local languages out everything else?

I fear that this question can only be answered by Microsoft itself. There are language packs which can be installed, though (AFAIK, only in Windows XP Professional with an appropriate key). All days of the week and months are contained in the file locale.nls as described above. :)

On 10/17/2022 at 10:06 PM, j7n said:

Thanks, that helps, I appreciate it.

Hmm, I don't really know why Microsoft decided to do that.