XP Home and XP Pro

Flash

As some of you guys know i have had big problems with one of my comps (Win 98, Grrrrr) but after a bit of convincing i am going to get Win Xp Pro for that comp. The comp i am on now is Win XP Home. Does anyone see any problems occuring here?! They will be networked with Printers and internet and file transfer etc.

Will the Xp Pro be the administrator?!

Cheers, Flash.

Examine the XP Compatibility Lists and ensure your hardware, drivers, and applcations meet the requirements.

The best place to start is the Microsoft Windows XP Professional Web Site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/default.asp

The How-To articles cover everything if you look deep enough.

I would suggest that Pro be your admin box since Pro has admin tools and other features that Home doesn't have.

Have Fun.

Okey, well everything looks alright from here, just waiting for the CD now.

Just wanted to ask another question: When i boot up from Win XP Pro CD will it ask me to format C:? To get rid of Win 98? Or shall i remove (format) C: to get rid of Win before i put the Win XP Pro CD in?

Put XP in your CD tray, reboot, press any key to boot from the CD, then go through and format, I recommend a full format, but a quick format will do, then select the NTFS operating system.

Prior to this, make sure to back up your filez that you want to keep, before formatting.

BB

Just like Booger says.

After a fresh/clean install of XP I always defrag the hard drive. I use Diskeeper 5.1.2600.0, (Disk Defragmenter, Executive Software International, Inc.), www.diskeeper.com.

Also, you have a big hard drive. Are you planning on creating partitions? I use partition Magic 7 (P.M.6 is not compatiable with XP) to create the partitions.

Maybe you want to install Win98SE along with WinXP Pro? Big hard drive, so it is possible. In this case you might want to format the hard drive differently! Without going into details (I can if you need details), I would format and create multiple partitions in both formats, i.e. FAT32 and NTFS.

• 2 months later...

You shouldn't have any problems....

I networked for a company, the following:

Windows XP Professional x 3 computers

Windows Home x 1 computer

Windows 98 x 1 computer

Windows 2000 Professional x 5 computers

With the XP's, there is a network setup wizard... Located in Network Places...

That should be easily done....run the rizard on all computers, choose your server...and make sure!!: that for the Workgroup, you put on EVERY computer, the same workgroup, CASE SENSATIVE!

98 and 2000, I'm pretty sure you go into Control Panel >> Networking, choose your networking addresses (unused ones) example: 192.168.0.154

Label the workgroup you chose for the XP computers, and MAGIC!

You can make folders able to share, by right clicking on any folder, and goto Sharing & Security, if I'm not mistaken...

Make sure your server computer (Computer hosting the printers, and the Internet) has no firewalls...