alcatel ADSL USB modem

nicelad

David...may not know the answer to your prob. but just a few questions. What do you mean when you say it dies? Is it external (do the lights go off on you)? Does this happen when you start up WinXP or does it just happen in the middle of what you are doing? Are you using a firewall?

Rick

i don't think i'm using a firewall, i don't know how to tell!!

i've now been using the modem for 2 hrs and no problems, it's a usb modem, external. the lights go out and the computer thinks it's still ok. i can't close the connection so i have to restart.

If all the lights go out on your modem then you definetely have a modem problem because the power light should stay on always. Check out the links above and video card may be to blame, but if lights go out...its the modem. XP does have a built in firewall but it would not affect you in this way. If you do not know of another firewall, then you don't have one. I would suggest that if you continue to have probs, call your provider and have them do a network test to check your modem out.

Rick

Do these modems have a lan port on...?

If so i would invest in a network card and use the lan port.

A friend of mine a a USB cable modem and it used to loose connection and fall over all the time, i connected it to his network port and it was fine....

Also what motherboard are you using it could be that the modem is drawing to much power of the USB port, causing it to fail.

Regards,

BAH

Just looked at the WWW and this modem is BUS powered so it is very possible your MB USB port does not have enough to sustain the connection...

The Speed Touch USB At-a-glance:

• High speed Internet access and regular phone service on the same line

• Up to 8 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream

• Supports Windows 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, Mac OS 8.6 & 9.0, Linux

• Connects to USB-port on desktop or notebook computer

• USB-port powered (no need for AC adapter

• Plug and play

• Easy to use installation wizard

• Software upgradeable

• Approved for connections to all major network operators

• ADSL standards compliant (ANSI T1.413 Issue2, G.dmt, G.lite)

• Supports PPPoA, PPPoE and LAN functionality

• No additional network interface card required

Regards,

BAH

The problem, is that the USB modem takes TOO MUCH POWER. I did discover this, because I have my modem ADSL, the keyboard and the mouse which are USB. Every time I restart, with the MODEM CONNECTED in the USB port, the keyboard and the mouse doesnt work, but if I use a 'normal'mouse, ( the one with the circle connection, i think its called us/2) it works fine. Every time I disconnect and connect the modem AFTER the computer has already started to work ( When everything is working all right, and you cxan use your pc) it works fine, BUT when you restart, the problem begins again.

I dont know how to solve this problem. It only happens in Win XP. In Win98, en ME doesnt happends ( I have 3 op. systems and I have re-intalled all more than 20 times).

I dont know how to make it work, so, for this time, the only think you can do is to connect the modem after all the starting process has begun. AND, if it doesnt work when you restart, FIRST, take the plug out before you want to restart.

Well, thats what I have discover. I hope it will help you. The sqme problem occurs when you have installed many USB devices. I remember one time when a tecnician did tell me that all the USB devices SHARED THE POWER.

I know the problem

The problem, is that the USB modem takes TOO MUCH POWER. I did discover this, because I have my modem ADSL, the keyboard and the mouse which are USB. Every time I restart, with the MODEM CONNECTED in the USB port, the keyboard and the mouse doesnt work, but if I use a 'normal'mouse, ( the one with the circle connection, i think its called us/2) it works fine. Every time I disconnect and connect the modem AFTER the computer has already started to work ( When everything is working all right, and you cxan use your pc) it works fine, BUT when you restart, the problem begins again.

I dont know how to solve this problem. It only happens in Win XP. In Win98, en ME doesnt happends ( I have 3 op. systems and I have re-intalled all more than 20 times).

I dont know how to make it work, so, for this time, the only think you can do is to connect the modem after all the starting process has begun. AND, if it doesnt work when you restart, FIRST, take the plug out before you want to restart.

Well, thats what I have discover. I hope it will help you. The sqme problem occurs when you have installed many USB devices. I remember one time when a tecnician did tell me that all the USB devices SHARED THE POWER.

Need to look at a couple of things,

1. What motherboard are you using....?

There are some issue's with Intel 815,845,850 chipsets and USB ports.

2.You may have to run some additional chipset update drivers for your MB to reallocate resource to the USB root HUB.

3. Get a seperate powered USB hub and connect through that.

Regards,

BAH