Intel 855PM and Minecraft 1.7.2+ on 98SE

WhiteArmpits

Hello, I'm new here, and I wanted to know if it's possible to run some modern versions of Minecraft on Windows 98SE with an Intel 855PM chipset, I have an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card, which is compatible with those versions, but the game still doesn't run, and I also can't find anything about the chipset and Minecraft compatibility on the web

Edited by WhiteArmpits

I saw your comment under TheMiningTeam's YouTube video :) 

Video in question, for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw1RcdOSlTo

Perhaps if other people with similar hardware to yours replicated steps from the video to try to run Minecraft, that could narrow the cause.

I have a ThinkPad T42p (15 inch version) which is similar to your laptop, but it has a ATI Mobility FireGL T2 GPU with 128MB VRAM and it's based on a newer architecture.

I will try to run Minecraft as instructed from the video on my laptop and will let you know if it runs, if I find the time, life's busy. :(

On 10/2/2022 at 8:08 PM, MrMateczko said:

I saw your comment under TheMiningTeam's YouTube video :) 

Video in question, for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw1RcdOSlTo

Perhaps if other people with similar hardware to yours replicated steps from the video to try to run Minecraft, that could narrow the cause.

I have a ThinkPad T42p (15 inch version) which is similar to your laptop, but it has a ATI Mobility FireGL T2 GPU with 128MB VRAM and it's based on a newer architecture.

I will try to run Minecraft as instructed from the video on my laptop and will let you know if it runs, if I find the time, life's busy. :(

Got enough time to reply at least? I've been waiting for over a week now

On 10/11/2022 at 10:15 PM, MrMateczko said:

Hi

I haven't forgotten about your topic, I have it on my lists of things to do, I'll post here when I test it out.

Hello, thanks for the update, either way while I was waiting for your reply I tried to run Mesa 7.8.2 to 17.0.0 by putting it on the game folder, but Minecraft crashes saying that javaw.exe isn't working properly whenever I put the dll file there, even when I enable kernelex, got any ideas?

Edited by WhiteArmpits
Didn't explain well

6 hours ago, jumper said:

What are your results when you follow the instructions in the video?

All the versions up to 1.6.4 work perfectly, 1.7.2 lags a lot, and any versions after that won't work because of my hardware, but the audio engine starts even up to 1.7.10, when using mesa 6.5.2 it works up to 1.16.5, but still lags a lot, and works properly only up to b1.7.3, with newer versions of mesa, none of the versions of the game seem to work, I tried to enable kernelex in the DLLs and executables, but nothing changed, I would still get the same error

You need OpenGL 2.0 GPU in order to run newer versions than 1.7.11. Although versions up to 1.13 starts up with my Radeon 9200SE (which is an OpenGL 1.3 GPU) on XP, I couldn't get it to play.

Edited by SC7601
Wrong OGL and MC version information

5 hours ago, SC7601 said:

You need OpenGL 2.0 GPU in order to run newer versions than 1.7.2. Although versions up to 1.13 starts up with my Radeon 9200SE (which is an OpenGL 1.4 GPU) on XP, I couldn't get it to play.

Thanks for the confirmation, but is it possible to run it through mesa 17.0.0? If not then I guess I should give up and just stick with the older versions

Hello @WhiteArmpits

I have tried running Minecraft 1.8 as instructed in the video on my ThinkPad T42p with the ATI Mobility FireGL T2 that should support OpenGL 2.0 in theory as seen in TechPowerUp:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-m10.g249

vs your GPU https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-m7.g199

However, upon launching, all I get is a garbled screen and a complete system freeze.

It seems that the ATI OpenGL driver for Win9x (for those laptop GPUs at least) is not fully compatible with OpenGL 2.0 as seen in AIDA64: (can you show how it looks like on your laptop?)

Perhaps Windows XP driver has support for OpenGL 2.0 for those GPUs, I would have to check this myself, you can also try using Windows XP, should have much better luck there.

aida64.png

I haven't tried Mesa, but from my experience, trying to run any software emulation of OpenGL or D3D9 is usually a pain in Win9x, since most of the time, it is not working at all, and even if it worked, the performance would probably be very bad, as SC7601 points out.

Version 1.7.2 worked fine.

I can try running 1.8 it on my Core 2 Duo PC with the GeForce 7900 GTX, it should work there.

1 hour ago, MrMateczko said:

Hello @WhiteArmpits

I have tried running Minecraft 1.8 as instructed in the video on my ThinkPad T42p with the ATI Mobility FireGL T2 that should support OpenGL 2.0 in theory as seen in TechPowerUp:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-m10.g249

vs your GPU https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-m7.g199

However, upon launching, all I get is a garbled screen and a complete system freeze.

It seems that the ATI OpenGL driver for Win9x (for those laptop GPUs at least) is not fully compatible with OpenGL 2.0 as seen in AIDA64: (can you show how it looks like on your laptop?)

Perhaps Windows XP driver has support for OpenGL 2.0 for those GPUs, I would have to check this myself, you can also try using Windows XP, should have much better luck there.

aida64.png

I haven't tried Mesa, but from my experience, trying to run any software emulation of OpenGL or D3D9 is usually a pain in Win9x, since most of the time, it is not working at all, and even if it worked, the performance would probably be very bad, as SC7601 points out.

Version 1.7.2 worked fine.

I can try running 1.8 it on my Core 2 Duo PC with the GeForce 7900 GTX, it should work there.

spacer.pnghere you got my OpenGL specs in case, but I'm still curious, is Minecraft up to 1.12.2 laggy too on mesa 17.0.0? I did expect 1.16.5 to lag a lot, but I do very rarely play versions after 1.12.2, and therefore that isn't great news to me

Try using AIDA64, Everest doesn't show info regarding which OpenGL version is supported, AIDA64 latest version does work under Win9x. Use ZIP version, if experiencing BSOD, remove kerneld.w9x from AIDA64 files.

I can try using Mesa, going to be a long process testing all those versions...

21 minutes ago, MrMateczko said:

Try using AIDA64, Everest doesn't show info regarding which OpenGL version is supported, AIDA64 latest version does work under Win9x. Use ZIP version, if experiencing BSOD, remove kerneld.w9x from AIDA64 files.

I can try using Mesa, going to be a long process testing all those versions...

spacer.pngok, now it should give you a better idea of my OpenGL specs, thanks for the recommendation