W2K SP5.1 UURollup --> Bsod when video driver is installed

Sailor

I decided to give my 20-year-old W2K box a birthday and install SP5.1. Everything is fine until I install Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20141130-x86-ENU. When I reboot, it gets half-way towards Windows, then dies with an UNHANDLED KERNEL MODE EXCEPTION. To cut a long story short, it doesn't like the Matrox G550 video driver. I've tried 4 or 5 versions, from early W2000 to late XP. I can install my other drivers (audio, and network) without ill effects, and I can boot into safe mode, but any attempt to re-install the video driver immediately kills it.

i.e. If I leave the system with the default VGA video and simply install

W2KSP4 -> MS04-011 -> SP5.1 -> UURollup, then all is good fair (I have a working, updated SP5.1 system, but I have a crappy display).

Alternatively, I can install The Matrox driver at any point, but not install UURollup, and again everything is good fair (I have a great display on a working SP5.1 system, but I don't have any updates).

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attack this problem?

2. Is there any documentation of exactly what is in the UURollup? (Yes, I can see the 350+ files that are in it when I unpack it, but I expect (guess) that they are essentially a bunch of repackaged MS KB's / Updates). It would be nice to know what those KB's / Updates are.

The hardware is:

Video                        Matrox Millennium G550
Motherboard            Asus A7V266-E (Socket A , VIA KT266A Chipset)
CPU                          Athlon 1600+

Memory                    1GB

Thanks for reading....

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into it. I have seen a lot of references to the BWC project, but I'm not sure what the end result is. Do you finish up with something half-way between W2k and XP?, or does it remain W2k, but able to run later versions of some apps, or .....???

My intent in retaining machines with all versions of Windows on my network (I've got W11, W10, W7, Vista, XP and W2K at the moment) is for showing the grand-kids, and great-grand-kids what it was like "in the old days". I've also got my original DOS and NT4 install media waiting for some hardware to run them. The Windows 3.1.1 disks should be somewhere, too, but I can't see them at the moment.

2 hours ago, Sailor said:

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into it. I have seen a lot of references to the BWC project, but I'm not sure what the end result is. Do you finish up with something half-way between W2k and XP?, or does it remain W2k, but able to run later versions of some apps, or .....???

it is Windows 2000 with more added API's in dll's , in the level of compatibility of App's Windows 2000 and XP are very similar , Windows 2000 can execute any app can Windows XP work on it as mypall 68 , teamviewr 14 , 360 Extreme Explorer , the latest vlc version , Firefox 52 and maybe 54 , and more and more new app's can run on XP and vista.

Ximonite started to create an newer extended kernel starting from wildbill rewrited kernel32, if this project successfully completed Windows 2000 it was more compatible than XP and it was same as vista and 7 , look this https://forum.eclectic4un.me/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=51

Edited by windows2