Drivers for an N2840 on Vista x64 with the Extended Kernel

connor2

Hey y'all!
I have a laptop that has an Intel Celeron N2840, its components has drivers only for Windows 7 and up. After installing all updates on Vista, then the extended kernel, I'm able to install the drivers by spoofing the OS but they have the little yellow exclamation mark thingy after a restart, so while they are installed they don't work. Is there any way I could get the drivers to work on Vista? The laptop is a Lenovo G50-30 btw!

The reason I'd like to do this is because this is pretty much the only 'old' PC that I have laying around...so yeah.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Just use NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender.

You can consult to @Mov AX, 0xDEAD if you have any question or problem.

Hey so I compiled the file but I'm stuck at "Make corrections to target driver XXX.sys so that it loads ntoskrn8.sys instead of the original ntoskrnl.exe" - as opening the igdkmd64.sys file just shows random characters - but I found "ntoskrnl.exe" and replaced that with "ntoskrn8.sys", it did nothing though. Btw, if it helps, in the IntelGFX Logs file it does detect that I'm on Vista SP2(even though I spoofed the OS version:P), and the last few lines are:

Execute command: C:\drivers\Intel VGA Driver\x64\Drv64.exe -driverinf "C:\drivers\Intel VGA Driver\Graphics\igdlh64.inf" -flags 20 -keypath "software\Intel\Difx64"
! DriverPackageInstall error 0xA
IIF will NOT initiate reboot

Exit code = 0xA

Resultcode = 10

Try checking the modified igdkmd64.sys file for missing functions using Dependency Walker.

(You must also copy first the ntoskrn8.sys to System32, otherwise you will get some question marks representing ntoskrn8.sys file.)

Edited by Brickedandroid

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

Try checking the modified igdkmd64.sys file for missing functions using Dependency Walker.

(You must also copy first the ntoskrn8.sys to System32, otherwise you will get some question marks representing ntoskrn8.sys file.)

I have opened the igdkmd64.sys file and it showed that it couldn't find ntoskrn8.sys, so yeah I copied it to the root of the system32 folder as well and now it's fine. But other than that it doesn't show any errors. After doing this and running the installer, it, again, didn't install, and it stopped with the same error in the Logs file.

Also, if I manually install the driver by going into Device Manager, Display adapters, and right clicking on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, then Update driver, and choose the igdlh64.inf file, it installs the driver and says that it isn't signed. After it succesfully installs, it now says Intel(R) HD Graphics. After rebooting, it worked!!! Thank you so much!

Well I mean it kind of works because after trying to turn on Aero it threw a troubleshooting thingy, and now the Aero option is gone:C. And if I try to run a game, the troubleshooting thingy shows again(it crashes), and if I try to run the Windows Experience Index test it says "Cannot complete the requested operation. An unknown error has caused WinSAT to fail in an unexpected way.". On boot, it also stays on a black screen sometimes for a few seconds and then it says Desktop Window Manager has crashed. The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel also crashes. :(

Edited by connor2

44 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

BEX64 with code c0000005?

No clue as it doesn't let me see the details of the crash. If I try to enable Aero, it says "Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.". The same happens when I try to rate and improve your computer's performance tool, it says "Windows System Assessment Tool has stopped working. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly."

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

Please expand the details.

Mine is similar and the signature is BEX64 with code c0000005.

I can't expand the details as it doesn't let me do that, but I did find this in event viewer. 

Faulting application Dwm.exe, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e02696, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000000000, process id 0x6dc, application start time 0x01d8d008a1d71257.