Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

Some updates of RealityRipple's extensions just mark the extension as confirmed working with up to the latest official milestone version of Pale Moon and dropping the older milestone versions at the same time, causing them to not install on those versions. GeoFlag at least appears technically compatible with Firefox 52 - 56 and Pale Moon 28+, so I have the following targetApplication entries in its install.rdf:

<em:targetApplication>
 <Description>
  <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
  <em:minVersion>28.0.0</em:minVersion>
  <em:maxVersion>32.*</em:maxVersion>
 </Description>
</em:targetApplication>
 <Description>
  <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
  <em:minVersion>52.0.0</em:minVersion>
  <em:maxVersion>56.*</em:maxVersion>
 </Description>

The following isn't needed with above modifications either:

On 9/19/2022 at 1:04 AM, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, these extensions can also be made compatible with Serpent by using the extension Serpent Tester Tool, for example. Here is a link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1226306

44 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Some updates of RealityRipple's extensions just mark the extension as confirmed working with up to the latest official milestone version of Pale Moon and dropping the older milestone versions at the same time, causing them to not install on those versions. GeoFlag at least appears technically compatible with Firefox 52 - 56 and Pale Moon 28+, so I have the following targetApplication entries in its install.rdf:

<Description>
  <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
  <em:minVersion>28.0.0</em:minVersion>
  <em:maxVersion>32.*</em:maxVersion>
 </Description>
 <Description>
  <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
  <em:minVersion>52.0.0</em:minVersion>
  <em:maxVersion>56.*</em:maxVersion>
 </Description>

The following isn't needed with above modifications either:

Thanks for your hint! I already wrote about these modifications here in these posts:

I left the maxVersion at 52.9.* but it can increased at any time (especially for Serpent 55), of course. All these extensions work in Serpent 52 and New Moon 28. I use a lot of them. But nevertheless, thank you for your contribution here! As always, much appreciated. :)

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

I simply wanted to point out the most accurate version combinations for that extension also considering how upstream browser development went. It works naturally for XP forks since versions in that case just happen to fall in-between.

Edited by UCyborg

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I simply wanted to point out the most accurate version combinations for that extension also considering how upstream browser development went. It works naturally for XP forks since versions in that case just happen to fall in-between.

Thanks for your clarification and contribution here! As I already pointed out, I do appreciate it in any case. To have the correct min and max version numbers in the file install.rdf for each browser is sensible and fine. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 2 months later...

Palefill has been updated to the version 1.27 with interesting changes. The web interfaces of GMX and WEB.DE have not worked in New Moon 28 for a very long time. With Palefill 1.27, the interfaces of these email providers can finally be loaded normally again. :cheerleader: No need to run anymore the interfaces with reduced functionality at the moment. :thumbup

A big thanks to martok! thank-you.gif Very good job! goodjob.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

uBlock Origin Legacy modified by @AstroSkipper - Part 3 (obsolete)

I have again updated uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2 in terms of the filter lists taken from the most recent webextension uBlock Origin 1.49.2.
Here is the complete changelog of what I have modified:

• The file assets.json replaced by the most recent one.
  • Missing filter lists in the folders thirdparties and ublock added.
  • Existing filter lists in the folders thirdparties and ublock updated.
  • Version number changed to 1.16.4.31b2-1.49.2 to clearly see which version the source files were taken from.

And here is the download link of uBlock0_1.16.4.31b2-1.49.2.firefox-legacy-filter-lists-mod-by-@AstroSkipper.xpihttps://www.mediafire.com/file/q8u6qc8ahjag5tw/uBlock0_1.16.4.31b2-1.49.2.firefox-legacy-filter-lists-mod-by-%40AstroSkipper.xpi/file

And finally, an important recommendation to get a new installation of uBlock Origin Legacy working properly and flawlessly. After uninstalling the previous version (yes, the old version should be uninstalled), delete all remnants via about:config and in your profile folder! The remnants of uBlock Origin which can be viewed via about:config can be easily removed by the extension eCleaner. And in your profile folder, there is a file in the subfolder extension-data called ublock0.sqlite which has to be removed manually. Delete the browser cache, too! If doing so, the updating of the filter lists will work like a charm after installing the new version. Passer-Aspirateur.gif
All users who have important, individual settings or rules should backup them before cleaning their profile folder. On the dashboard page, there is an item called "Back up to file"" to save the user's settings via uBlock itself. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 2 weeks later...

To manage my user scripts, I use the legacy extension Greasemonkey for Pale Moon in New Moon 28 and the webextension Tampermonkey in Serpent 52. Everything runs well so far. Since the webextension Violentmonkey is mentioned here in the forum again and again, I took a closer look at it and installed the last compatible version 2.14.0 in a fresh profile under Serpent 52. Unfortunately, I found out that it does not work properly. The settings cannot be accessed via the toolbar button. Clicking onto the toolbar button to create a new script does not work either. After a lot of testing, it seems that the last fully working version is 2.13.2. @VistaLover I know you have been using Violentmonkey for some time. What version do you currently have installed? And is it fully functional? :dubbio:

Edit: I corrected a memory leak inside my brain and corrected the version numbers. Maybe, I am too tired the last weeks. couple1drag.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

@AstroSkipper (all links produced via a Forum Search, BTW :P) :

On 3/19/2023 at 11:46 PM, Mathwiz said:

I don't know if this will help, but I had to roll back to VM v2.13.2 to complete that step. This was on latest St 52 but I suspect VM has actually been incompatible with St 52 since, well, "long ago in IT world time."

On 3/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, VistaLover said:

2. Launch a fresh St52 profile.
3. Visit:

https://github.com/violentmonkey/violentmonkey/releases/tag/v2.14.0

and install file "violentmonkey-2.14.0.xpi" - FWIW, this is the EoS version for FxESR 52.9.x; the extension works as expected in Fx52+, but has some quirks in St52, due to MCP's faulty implementation of the abortController API (but this is material for another post :P...).

On 3/20/2023 at 5:42 AM, VistaLover said:
On 3/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, VistaLover said:

the extension works as expected in Fx52+, but has some quirks in St52, due to MCP's faulty implementation of the abortController API

Two ways to tackle this:

1. In "about:config", toggle "dom.abortController.enabled" to false, restart Serpent 52 and then installing the userscript from that GH page will work (just tested it now :P); but the abort API is still needed by GitHub to properly function, so, after installing the userscript, reset the pref and, again, restart St52...

2. "Patch" the actual extension in below fashion:

"./background/index.js" (a minified JS file):

-!(!e.AbortSignal||!browser.windows)
+(!!e.AbortSignal&&!browser.windows)

Again, VM-2.14.0 works as expected in actual FxESR 52.9.x (it doesn't have itself the abort API), the breakage in St52 is due to MCP's (imperfect) abort API implementation inside UXP :( (FTR, VM's devs are almost oblivious to St52's existence ;) ...).

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I took a closer look at it and installed the last compatible version 1.40.0 in a fresh profile under Serpent 52
After a lot of testing, it seems that the last fully working version is 1.13.2.

Undoubtedly a typo ;) , should've been 2.40.0 and 2.13.2, respectively :P ; best regards :) ...

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Undoubtedly a typo ;) , should've been 2.40.0 and 2.13.2, respectively :P ; best regards :) ...

Undoubtedly a memory leak! nonono.gif I checked it at my desktop computer but wrote it later using my tablet. Of course, I meant 2.14.0 and 2.13.2 respectively. Sorry for being incorrect! I hate that. Mea culpa! jaioublie.gif And thank you very much for your information! I used the forum search before but I must have overlooked your solution. starescreen.gif I'm not that fit at the moment. :no: And now I've infected you, too:P Sorry again!

PS: Original, faulty post has been corrected!

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

The next time I am at my desktop computer I will try your second solution:

On 3/20/2023 at 4:42 AM, VistaLover said:

Best regards, your tired AstroSkipper putertired.gif

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
On 3/20/2023 at 4:42 AM, VistaLover said:

Best regards, your tired AstroSkipper putertired.gif

@VistaLover Thanks once more for pointing to your solution! Works great here! The Violentmonkey 2.14.0 toolbar button is now fully functional. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 5 weeks later...

Somehow I got to try PassIFox (it's in the Classic Add-ons Archive) just now in 2023. It's one of the few available extensions for integration with KeePass for filling user name/password forms. I've been using KeeFox for the long time, it's much more complex than PassIFox, but struggles with the basics eg. when you have multiple accounts for one site and want to choose specific login, at least the recent versions and it has heavy ties with the browser's UI specifics. Though KeeFox also has more sophisticated URL matching options for instance.

I looked at KeeFox's history a bit and one commit dumping support for pre-Australis UI is so huge that it gives me a headache and not having a talent for coding doesn't help either. I figured I haven't been using the extras in KeeFox, like creating new entries and auto-submit.

PassIFox should work with both pre-Australis and Australis UI, though I only tried it on Pale Moon. UI is minimal, no option dialogs, no toolbar buttons, just one or two extra right-click context menu entries when right-clicking user/passwords fields, rest of the options are in the accompanying KeePassHttp plugin for KeePass.

I think I'll keep PassIFox and use it instead of KeeFox. The latter is half-broken on browsers without Australis UI and I prefer to avoid Australis, because then I need another extension to put things how they were and even then few things still aren't exactly how I'd like them. Maybe if I wanted to mess with CSS, but meh...

I lived with Australis-based Firefox when I felt Pale Moon was too far behind with web compatibility, but things are better today. Although there's one thing I do miss about Australis, you have the icon indicating Flash Player being active in the URL bar. I see nothing in the Pale Moon UI indicating the Flash Player was activated.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Although there's one thing I do miss about Australis, you have the icon indicating Flash Player being active in the URL bar. I see nothing in the Pale Moon UI indicating that Flash Player was activated.

1. Go to "about:config"
2. Locate "plugins.always_show_indicator"
3. Toggle its value (from false -> true)

From then on, once you visit a site requiring Flash (or other NPAPI plugin), you'll always get the plugin icon at the left of the URL bar; below, a NM28 screengrab when visiting: 

https://www.ultrasounds.com/US.html

cPTZ7T4.png

On 7/15/2023 at 10:09 PM, UCyborg said:

Somehow I got to try PassIFox (it's in the Classic Add-ons Archive) just now in 2023. It's one of the few available extensions for integration with KeePass for filling user name/password forms. I've been using KeeFox for the long time, it's much more complex than PassIFox, but struggles with the basics eg. when you have multiple accounts for one site and want to choose specific login, at least the recent versions and it has heavy ties with the browser's UI specifics. Though KeeFox also has more sophisticated URL matching options for instance.

I looked at KeeFox's history a bit and one commit dumping support for pre-Australis UI is so huge that it gives me a headache and not having a talent for coding doesn't help either. I figured I haven't been using the extras in KeeFox, like creating new entries and auto-submit.

PassIFox should work with both pre-Australis and Australis UI, though I only tried it on Pale Moon. UI is minimal, no option dialogs, no toolbar buttons, just one or two extra right-click context menu entries when right-clicking user/passwords fields, rest of the options are in the accompanying KeePassHttp plugin for KeePass.

I think I'll keep PassIFox and use it instead of KeeFox. The latter is half-broken on browsers without Australis UI and I prefer to avoid Australis, because then I need another extension to put things how they were and even then few things still aren't exactly how I'd like them. Maybe if I wanted to mess with CSS, but meh...

PassIFox is a good choice to retrieve passwords from KeePass. Especially if there are several accounts for one website. It works with both New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 (and presumably in Serpent 55, too). However, if you also want to store logins in KeePass, you have to go another way. I actually use KeeFox in Serpent 52 for this. It doesn't work in New Moon 28. Both, PassIFox and KeeFox, require special plugins that have to be copied into the Plugins subdirectory in the KeePass programme folder.
PassIFox needs the plugin KeePassHttp whereas KeeFox needs the plugin KeePassRPC.
Working combinations for KeePass 2.43 I am using myself are:
PassIFox 1.2.2 + KeePassHttp 1.8.4.2
KeeFox 1.8.0 + KeePassRPC 1.14.0

These combinations will probably work with more recent versions of KeePass, too. However, arbitrary combinations between extension and plugin do not work, which is the real reason for those listed above.
rauchen.gif
At the moment, KeePass 2.54 (2023-06-03) is the most recent one and still compatible with Windows XP :thumbup although the system requirements listed on the KeePass download page are Windows 7 and above.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content