VPN for Windows XP

retrotrash69

You can set one up manually if your employer provides one. I haven't got mine to work yet, but it was just as complicated for me to set it up on my Windows 10 laptop, so it's probably something that could be made to work eventually. If you don't have one from the office, you can try TunnelBear, but you'll have a rate limit (which you can boost to a higher level for free, once). I don't know if the .exe will run on XP, but it also has a browser extension that should run on one of the Chromium versions available for XP.

You always have to be careful about free VPNs, because when a service is free, you're not the customer, you're the product.

Unfortunately, as I am not employed in such a profession that would provide or involve the use of such things, the first option is not possible for me.

I believe MyPal is based on Firefox, not Chrome. Any other browser excluding MyPal or perhaps Palemoon,  to my knowledge, will not serve my needs due to website incompatibility. I am aware of a Firefox extension that does work quite well but I am not sure how to install such extensions to MyPal..

The TunnelBear application requires .NET 3.4, which does not download due to failing to connect to a server...

Any other options? At this point, it is less about absolute privacy and more about necessity, as I am connecting to a free wifi which is locked down heavily. To get an idea, most video websites are blocked, as well as most game websites for instance. This is a temporary situation but it will likely be like that for at least another month. VPN is required to bypass that censorship. Therefore ANY free VPN option that will work on XP and can bypass that will be greatly appreciated.

The Humming Owl versions of 360chrome are based off of Chromium 88 IIRC, so you should be able to pull off the free TunnelBear account (the browser extension requires a minimum of Chrome 20, I think). Choose whatever version your computer handles best (I run the highest version, but it doesn't always run the smoothest due to my hardware).

You can also try making your phone work as a mobile hotspot and use it to redirect traffic thru the VPN, though that will cause your phone battery to drop more quickly.

Setting your DNS to 1.1.1.1 with an alt address of 1.0.0.1 should also help with site access.

I'm not sure I understand. I have specific sites that I need to access that (assuming I had a VPN) I can only access via MyPal. Do you have any solutions for MyPal or Palemoon, or know how to get Firefox extensions installed on them? Or perhaps a vpn that has a client that installs to XP?

In terms of the phone stuff you lost me there, I do not use "smart" phones.

I'm sorry if I sound dismissive or picky, I'm actually not very computer savvy and therefore sometimes I get rather confused on these forums.

About Tunnelbear, is NET 3.4 not compatible with XP or is there something I'm doing wrong when trying to install? The Tunnelbear setup application actually does launch but it stops at requiring that .NET.

EDIT: Problem has been resolved, via switching to MyPal68 and using the extensions there. Thanks anyways to all who answered.

Edited by retrotrash69

16 hours ago, beansmuggler said:

The Humming Owl versions of 360chrome are based off of Chromium 88 IIRC, so you should be able to pull off the free TunnelBear account (the browser extension requires a minimum of Chrome 20, I think). Choose whatever version your computer handles best (I run the highest version, but it doesn't always run the smoothest due to my hardware).

You can also try making your phone work as a mobile hotspot and use it to redirect traffic thru the VPN, though that will cause your phone battery to drop more quickly.

Setting your DNS to 1.1.1.1 with an alt address of 1.0.0.1 should also help with site access.

This is very good advice ... I don't use a vpn but will try on 360 v13.

I also allow CF for my queries but am wondering if that is a good idea anymore. Does a vpn extensions also change to their dns. Sorry, I don't know much about this and am learning myself.

Take good care ;)

23 hours ago, retrotrash69 said:

Hello,

Where I am currently living, there is pretty much no way for me to use a lot of the internet without a VPN, I am wondering if there is any VPN client that still works with XP, that does not require payment. XP 32 bit, browser is Mypal.

Hello @retrotrash69! Windows XP is my beloved, main OS. But truth be told, there are very few solutions meanwhile to establish VPN connections in Windows XP. And without any payments, all existing solutions are very limited and most of them crap, unfortunately. Which Mypal browser do you use? Mypal 29.3.0 or Mypal 68? :dubbio: There is a huge difference between these two. :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper bybye.gif

vpnbook.com with openvpn 2.3.18 client.

Copy the config to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config

47 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

there are very few solutions meanwhile to establish VPN connections in Windows XP

There are many solutions (some a paid). But you have to use configs and universal client.

I would also recommend the free Proton VPN. But it seems you need to edit the config to be compatible with XP. The openvpn credentials in the personal cabinet after registration (they are different from the login and password).

2 hours ago, artenox said:

There are many solutions (some a paid). But you have to use configs and universal client.

Unfortunately, not. I do not agree with your statement at all. Most paid services do not support Windows XP anymore. L2TP protocol was abandoned by a lot of commercial providers, only PPTP protocol works if at all. Their own clients support only Windows 7 and higher. You can only use OpenVPN 2.5.4 for Windows XP and try their pre-configured files. Servers without a payments are crap in nearly all cases. Sorry, but VPNBook is rather a joke! And, the paid services supporting Windows XP can be counted on one hand. I do have them all (lifetime license but frankly, it's not lifetime, it's rather customer fooling). Anyway, nearly all free VPN services are more or less crap.jexplique.gif And by the way, the OP does not want to pay for a VPN service. :no: Not to mention privacy, security and no log policy! :whistle:

On 5/27/2022 at 7:32 PM, AstroSkipper said:

To surf anonymously hero.gif , to get an IP from another country  or to gain access to sites which are restricted in my country I use paid VPN services with no log policy. I try to trust them. And so far I am very happy with that.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Forget about add-ons like AnonymoX and others offering free services! I tried a lot of them in the past. Most of them don't work or you're not really anonymous, quite apart from the limitations such as speed and data volume. To surf anonymously hero.gif, to get an IP from another country or to gain access to sites which are restricted in your country, you should use paid VPN services with no log policy. Such connections can be used system-widely and not only in a browser as in case of AnonymoX. I am not a friend of such "anonymous or secure proxies". They are advertised with the promise to protect your privacy, but very often they don't. Anyway, I try to trust my paid VPN services. And so far I'm quite happy with them. But be careful in booking such services! You have to ensure that they offer protocols supported in Windows XP. Nearly all of their native Windows apps don't work in Windows XP anymore. In most cases they support only Windows 7 and higher versions.

Cheers, AstroSkipper heloco.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

There is also SoftEther VPN Client + VPN Gate Plugin. VPN Gate provides free servers, not very fast, mostly Japanese (but there are all kinds, even exotic ones).
You can find other providers.

The application adds itself to the autorun in several places, including the service. You can stop the service with this command sc stop SEVPNCLIENT

The VPN protocol looks like HTTPS and works even in authoritarian countries.

@AstroSkipper Almost all paid vendors offer ovpn configs. Official applications only clutter up the system and are essentially a wrapper over the same openvpn, wireguard and tun. And tries to install/replace the tun driver.

Although, there really is no Wireguard VPN for XP. And many other proxy based technologies, but they are mostly needed in China.

Edited by artenox

1 hour ago, artenox said:

@AstroSkipper Almost all paid vendors offer ovpn configs. Official applications only clutter up the system and are essentially a wrapper over the same openvpn, wireguard and tun. And tries to install/replace the tun driver.

Although, there really is no Wireguard VPN for XP. And many other proxy based technologies, but they are mostly needed in China.

We are talking about VPN in Windows XP. This operating system is used on old and therefore low-powered computers. Using Windows XP on a much more up-to-date computer as a real. main operating system does not make sense at all for many reasons. :no: OpenVPN on an old, underpowered computer is a total disasterpcwut.gif The OpenVPN client has a much too high CPU load, and thus the connection speed is beyond good and evil. surmene.gif So, only the native protocols L2TP/IPSec and PPTP remain. And, these protocols have been discontinued by very many VPN providers or they offer L2TP in a newer version that is no longer compatible with the native L2TP protocol of Windows XP. :realmad: This is unfortunately the truth.  sorry.gif I know almost everything about VPN in Windows XP and have appropriate licenses with the few remaining vendors. :) Here is my advice based on 20 years experience with VPN in Windows XP: Forget about all free VPN services! Very low speed, in many cases no stable connections, no privacy, no security, and definitely a lack of a "no log policy". All those, who use Windows XP on a more up-to-date and relatively powerful computer as their real, main operating system, can actually no longer be helped anyway. :no: jexplique.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content