Chrome canary reporting I'm running windows 10?

Jaguarek62

I already prophesied this scenario a few months ago. Google already extended Chrome Support for Windows 7 for more than a year and since Windows 8.1 won't receive any ESU-offers, they have no need to extend support anymore. I really hope that we will be able to backport newer versions of Chrome to W7/8.1 without the need of an Extended Kernel (like Vista). I think Firefox will continue to support Windows 7 and 8.1 till at least 2024, since they will surely be moved to the ESR-chanel first, which is usually supported for more than a year. We already got a new ESR a few weeks ago, so the next one will probably be released in June/July 2023. If that specific version will be the last for 7/8 users, they will continue to receive security updates till October 2024.

- MY guess only-

Are you running 107.0.5289.0? Here it is different:
unknown.png

I think I will boot into Windows 8 anyway, in case it uses some esoteric way to check for NT 6.1 and up (like presence of kernelbase, system file versions, etc).

Edited by win32

11 hours ago, win32 said:

Are you running 107.0.5289.0? Here it is different:
unknown.png

I think I will boot into Windows 8 anyway, in case it uses some esoteric way to check for NT 6.1 and up (like presence of kernelbase, system file versions, etc).

It is present in 5290 too

spacer.png

Edited by Jaguarek62

This is what is happening: https://www.chromium.org/updates/ua-reduction/

User agents are being simplified. Chromium on Windows will now use "Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64" in all cases.

However, there is a replacement called "user agent client hints", which will contain much of the information that user agents currently contain, such as Windows versioning (that is how Windows 11 usage gets tracked). The specification supports tracking Windows NT 6.1+, but Vista and below will be lumped into the same category (though only Vista is currently capable of running UA-CH compatible browsers stably): https://wicg.github.io/ua-client-hints/#sec-ch-ua-platform-version

Firefox and Safari do not support UA-CH at this time, and will likely keep their user agent format the same for now.

Edited by win32