Help setting up High Definition Audio Drivers for Dell Latitude 6430u running Windows 98 SE?

Isano

Thanks.

Let's first try to fix WAVEOUT.EXE.

According to the data-sheet, WDGET-diagram on page 50, there are three volume-widgets in the playback path.

For DAC0 widget 13, for DAC1 widget 14 and the mixer has widget 1C.

WAVEOUT.EXE is dependent on the VolumeWidget setting in HDACFG.INI. Default is $14, so try first VolumeWidget=$13 and later VolumeWidget=$1C too.

More information about volume & HDA2.DLL: https://msfn.org/board/topic/178295-audio-driver-for-realtek-hd-audio-hardware-testing-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1161770

Great.

If you read carefully the link I provided, you will see WAVEOUT.EXE is not always needed, except for System Sounds (but these can be disabled) and Soundplayer (don't remember the exact name).

The trick is to use the volume slider of your player, if the player can be set to DirectSound: HDA Sound (or if the player uses this setting already by default).

Is VolumeWidget=$1C working too?

I ask because I have an idea to let WAVEOUT.EXE rule your speaker volume, while your headphones will get maximal volume, modified by the volume slider of a player/ and or the physical volume slider on the headphone (if your headphone has any).

BTW how behaves the sound switches on your keyboard?

2 hours ago, Isano said:

Alright, I'm back, and as for is VolumeWidget=$1C works : I tested it, and nope, only $13 works.

That's good to know, if I am right this means Mixer_1C is not in the playback signal path.

2 hours ago, Isano said:

The sound switches in my keyboard are completely unresponsive

Sad, but is reported earlier.

2 hours ago, Isano said:

As for DirectSound, would this driver be correct https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=392400? Because I've never really heard of it

No driver is needed!

Direct Sound is part of DirectX. Check with Start > Run > Dxdiag which version is installed. Best is DirectX 9.0c (Win98SE compatible version).

If I am right MPlayer uses DirectSound by default. In some players you can choose output device, in case of HDA2.DLL you should choose DirectSound: HDA Sound (title is set by the driver!). Maybe possible in MultiMediaDevices too (option for Playback).

Sorry for answering late, today really was a busy day to me

I do in fact have DirectX 9.0c installed and going into the Sound section in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, I see that the device being used it Hda Sound.

Device

Name: HDA Sound    (emulated)

Is what is displayed on my screen.

Good, so you can use this instead of WAVEOUT.EXE.

Are you interested in my idea to redirect the speaker signal line to the Mixer_1C, so you can use WAVEOUT.EXE to rule the speaker-volume independent from your headphone?

All right, lets try this version of a tailor-made HDAICOUT.HDA first.

Following steps:
1) Rename current working HDAICOUT.HDA to HDAICOUT.OK1

2) Rename new version and reboot, check if everything is working as before (VolumeWidget=$13 !).

3) Set VolumeWidget=$1C in HDACFG.INI and test if WAVEOUT.EXE is ruling speaker-volume only.

Hdaicout.hda.Dell_Latitude_6430u

Edited by deomsh
Correction of file

I'm sorry to report that this file worked neither with VolumeWidget=$13, nor VolumeWidget=$1C

Using your Hdaicout file does not output any audio at all

But to be honest, I think I'm fine with speakers audio, I won't need it too much

All right, if you are fine with your speakers, than stay with HDAICOUT.HDA.000

Apparently your laptop uses other Pin(output)Widgets than I selected: 0B, 0E (with HP-amp) and 10 (mono-out). To find the right ones will need quite lengthy experimentation using Get-commands...