Dell D610 - Sigmatel 9751 - Sound on Windows 98 SE (Can NOT find correct drivers and drivers for 9750/D600 not working)

Aeridyne

Title pretty much says it all. I've been scouring the net for like a week plus now off an on. Collecting whatever Sigmatel drivers I could find and trying them out. After accumulating a ton (and screw that sounddrivers site, it seems 100% bogus?) none of them work still for 98.

Someone had made a nice driver package for the D600 with two drivers, one of which worked on a D600 I had built previously but did not work on this D610, it says the chip is a 9751, not a 9750 like in the D600.

If anyone could help I'd very very appreciative.

Quick aside, I also can't seem to get the USB to stop being dumb, using nusb 3.1 or 3.3 I think it is, if I remove the ICH6 usb controller it will load up correctly and work and I can use a usb drive, then upon reboot it gets a yellow exclamation and stops working. If I go safe mode and remove it, it seems to work for one go again, or maybe it was that and also turning off usb emulation in bios. My brain is turning to mush.

I haven't even gotten to the wireless and ethernet drivers yet. Used Scitech for the video which is working good so far and tends to do OK on the 915 chipsets.

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered this issue a while back and Google did not seem to provide me an answer. This driverpack I preserved on my blog a while back contains a working driver. I had tested this on a Dell Precision M70 a while back.

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019/06/100000-windows-9598me2000xp-drivers.html

On 8/6/2022 at 10:06 PM, Aeridyne said:

Title pretty much says it all. I've been scouring the net for like a week plus now off an on. Collecting whatever Sigmatel drivers I could find and trying them out. After accumulating a ton (and screw that sounddrivers site, it seems 100% bogus?) none of them work still for 98.

Someone had made a nice driver package for the D600 with two drivers, one of which worked on a D600 I had built previously but did not work on this D610, it says the chip is a 9751, not a 9750 like in the D600.

If anyone could help I'd very very appreciative.

Quick aside, I also can't seem to get the USB to stop being dumb, using nusb 3.1 or 3.3 I think it is, if I remove the ICH6 usb controller it will load up correctly and work and I can use a usb drive, then upon reboot it gets a yellow exclamation and stops working. If I go safe mode and remove it, it seems to work for one go again, or maybe it was that and also turning off usb emulation in bios. My brain is turning to mush.

I haven't even gotten to the wireless and ethernet drivers yet. Used Scitech for the video which is working good so far and tends to do OK on the 915 chipsets.

Also, I've had issues using Windows 98 on the D600. For some reason, Windows 98SE was always sluggish for no reason. I had to stick with ME because it was more stable. Windows ME has better WDM driver support even if it ain't much. It was a lot less of a hassle to setup and update than 98SE.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

I've had issues getting certain AC97 hardware to correctly initialize while using the correct WDM drivers. This was on 98FE and SE. Sometimes it seems like later hardware has sloppy backported driver support. Even though the drivers come from the correct OS version folder, the problem seems to resolve when using Rloew's "wdmex". This seems more often the case with FE. So I understand your WinME solution.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Maybe it'll be useful to someone.