Dev Issues: Windows Installer asks to install update (new version themself)

DrunkenTanker

Windows Installer 4.5 asks to install update (new version themself)

I tried to install WireGuard ((https://download.wireguard.com/windows-client/wireguard-x86-0.5.3.msi) because nobody tried it before). Windows Installer reported that can't work with that MSI and ask to upgrade themself.

Edited by DrunkenTanker

If the program's installer needs a later version of Windows Installer than is supported on XP, is the program itself compatible with XP?
:dubbio:
This wouldn't be unknown, but if the program will work on XP but won't install on XP the only answer is probably to install it on a machine with a later version of Windows and copy the installation over to the XP machine. How difficult (or possible) this is varies from program to program of course.
:)

Okay, I tried it.

At first, I extracted the msi using UniExtract (Extract method used: MsiX extraction), then unpacked cab1.cab, then went to cab1 subfolder. There were 2 executable files: wg.exe and wireguard.exe itself. Both gave "not a vaild Win32 application" error upon opening. So, I did a PE patch to both of them (by pressing 0, then enter [on keyboard] on XomPie).

After the PE patch, I tried to open wg.exe, I got "The procedure entry point SetDefaultDllDirectories could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

entrypointnotfound.png

I then tried to open wireguard.exe too, but I also got "The procedure entry point GetQueuedCompletionStatusEx could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll."

entrypointnotfound2.png

SetDefaultDllDirectories is a Windows 7 function, while GetQueuedCompletionStatusEx is a Windows Vista function. So, it seems this application only runs on Windows 7 and later.

@DrunkenTanker Here, I tried it for you.

Edited by mina7601

On 7/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, RainyShadow said:

Use UniExtract to get the program files and see if it starts at all. 

No need to waste time on the installer if the program itself won't work.

I will also give this a shot just for testing.

I'm using Windows Installer V4.5.6002.23731, though, I'm unsure if that was part of the pos ready. Honestly, I'm not sure where I got it, but it does work even though I keep is set to manual as other services so things don't install behind my back. 'so to speak'. I don't know, but (of course) this is not Vista, but I do have some vista and its not like I can share it and I can't even find a place to point your towards and just giving out the file wouldn't work that way (I don't think so) needed to be installed or something.

Size - 114 KB

Description:

4.5.6002.23731 (vistasp2_ldr.150618-0601)

spacer.png

I"m not sure if this will be helpful, but I'm reading,

https://www.ntkernel.com/wireguard-vpn-server-on-windows/

Perhaps worth trying 86.04:

https://download.wireguard.com/windows-client/wireguard-x86-0.4.msi

https://www.wingetgui.com/apps?id=WireGuard.WireGuard&v=0.4

This will take me a very long time to get working properly, so please don't hold your breathe, this week is going to be a rough one for me. I know people are looking and hopefully can find some way to get this working for the needed purpose. 

Good luck :)

Edited by XPerceniol

13 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

...but I do have some vista sp2 and its not like I can share it and I can't even find a place to point your towards and just giving out the file wouldn't work that way (I don't think so) needed to be installed or something....

Not that I'm unwilling to share as I once did when we thought XP was dead and we were going over it in some thread here. Also I don't want to break any rules or laws. You may need to ask me (point me towards) as I'm not sure which dll files go to what.

Sorry, the (main) reason it will take me so long is that my head isn't exactly screwed on right as of late ... not that is ever really is or was in all honesty.

Edited by XPerceniol

41 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Not that I'm unwilling to share as I once did when we thought XP was dead and we were going over it in some thread here. Also I don't want to break any rules or laws. You may need to ask me (point me towards) as I'm not sure which dll files go to what.

Sorry, the (main) reason it will take me so long is that my head isn't exactly screwed on right as of late ... not that is ever really is or was in all honesty.

The files are not that important, there are certainly other sources. Honestly, you and your health are much more important. Just do what you can, recover and get well! We need @XPerceniol here in this forum. I wouldn't want to miss your comments! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

It doesn't work either. I get the same errors like in the previous post when I tried 0.5.3.

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

The files are not that important, there are certainly other sources. Honestly, you and your health are much more important. Just do what you can, recover and get well! We need @XPerceniol here in this forum. I wouldn't want to miss your comments! :yes:

Yes! @XPerceniol, I hope you get better soon!

17 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I will also give this a shot just for testing.

I'm using Windows Installer V4.5.6002.23731, though, I'm unsure if that was part of the pos ready. Honestly, I'm not sure where I got it, but it does work even though I keep is set to manual as other services so things don't install behind my back. 'so to speak'. I don't know, but (of course) this is not Vista, but I do have some vista and its not like I can share it and I can't even find a place to point your towards and just giving out the file wouldn't work that way (I don't think so) needed to be installed or something.

Size - 114 KB

Description:

4.5.6002.23731 (vistasp2_ldr.150618-0601)

spacer.png

I"m not sure if this will be helpful, but I'm reading,

https://www.ntkernel.com/wireguard-vpn-server-on-windows/

Perhaps worth trying 86.04:

https://download.wireguard.com/windows-client/wireguard-x86-0.4.msi

https://www.wingetgui.com/apps?id=WireGuard.WireGuard&v=0.4

This will take me a very long time to get working properly, so please don't hold your breathe, this week is going to be a rough one for me. I know people are looking and hopefully can find some way to get this working for the needed purpose. 

Good luck :)

Off-topic, and FWIW, my version of msiexec.exe is later still, version 4.5.6002.24433.
No idea where it came from, but I guess it was a POSReady update.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Off-topic, and FWIW, my version of msiexec.exe is later still, version 4.5.6002.24433.
No idea where it came from, but I guess it was a POSReady update.

Yep! Confirmed! My version is the same from 20-06-2018, which means it was most likely provided by a POSReady update :)

Edited by AstroSkipper