“Be mindful. Be grateful. Be positive. Be true. Be kind.”

XPerceniol

15 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I mean, I had a good time reading your discussion about Frisians! :)

I'm glad to hear that! BTW, I found a grammatical error in my statement, already corrected!

Friendliness is a virtue, and the Frisians have been mastered it to perfection

You shouldn't do a thousand things at the same time. :P

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

I'm glad to hear that! BTW, I found a grammatical error in my statement, already corrected!

You shouldn't do a thousand things at the same time. :P

Nah, it's fine. Your statement is still understandable.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:47 AM, jaclaz said:

Well Portuguese literature (among many actual masterpieces) originated the immortal "English as she is spoke":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_as_She_Is_Spoke

and - though not proved - we might have been deprived of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Hungarian_Phrasebook

particularly, the very common and useful sentence "My hovercraft is full of eels." would probably have never been coined, and "Please fondle my buttocks" would have been far less used.

jaclaz

jaclaz, you're a nondepletable source of interesting information, as usual !

I was more importantly concerned about their brogue (?) accent .

On 8/31/2022 at 12:53 AM, AstroSkipper said:

my little "either" problem! Now, it is history

I don't know what they told you , but you didn't have "a problem with either". It can be used at the end of a sentence .

Look at oxford international.

"This is a good restaurant, it’s not expensive either." Just like I told you .

https://www.oxfordinternationalenglish.com/neither-or-either-whats-the-difference/

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

I don't know what they told you , but you didn't have "a problem with either". It can be used at the end of a sentence .

Look at oxford international.

"This is a good restaurant, it’s not expensive either." Just like I told you .

https://www.oxfordinternationalenglish.com/neither-or-either-whats-the-difference/

smilie-m-006.gif
Unfortunately, I really had a little "either" problem. Your example is absolutely correct. But I forgot an important rule. The word "either" is only used in your example sentence if it is preceded by a negative. In non-negative sentences, the adverbs "too" or "also" are used. The position of this adverb was not the subject of our little grammatical excursus. Here is an example for my grammatical error: 

It is expensive, either. (false usage)

It is expensive, too. (correct usage)

It is not expensive, either. (correct usage)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

smilie-m-006.gif
Unfortunately, I really had a little "either" problem. Your example is absolutely correct. But I forgot an important rule. The word "either" is only used in your example sentence if it is preceded by a negative. In non-negative sentences, the adverbs "too" or "also" are used. The position of this adverb was not the subject of our little grammatical excursus. Here is an example for my grammatical error: 

As a native English speaker , xD , I'd say "It is also expensive". 

On 9/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, msfntor said:

A single cat leads to another cat
We exclusively release the first chapter of 'Días para ser Gato', the second book of our first cat, who is already an expert in feline matters.

LYR6SSML2UAZYQ7Z6TL6CGOM3I.jpg

Mía and Atún in full observation.
PEDRO ZUAZUA
Madrid - 25 APR 2022 - 12:16ACTUALIZED: 25 APR 2022 - 13:18 UTC

If you want to write about being human, keep a couple of cats at home.
Aldous Huxley

Between my cat's happiness or being a person of my word, I chose the former. In June 2016, after repeating actively and passively to anyone who would listen to me that a cat would not enter my house, Mia appeared. That tiny, adorable, playful being transformed my life in a way I could never have imagined. It's not a commonplace: I developed a love for animals I never knew existed, became a tenant in my own home, became the manager of my cat's Instagram account, wrote a book that sells in several countries and, above all, became the preferred phone number of everyone I know who came in contact with a cat. It doesn't matter what kind of relationship: they want to adopt? They write to me. They meet one in the street? they write to me. They write to me. They receive a video, a photo or a montage? They forward it to me. Since June 2016, 80% of the images I have on my cell phone are of cats. The people who investigate what we do with our phones must be freaking out.

At the same time that Mía was taking over the household, a routine was taking hold that was quite pleasant for both of us. After the first few weeks, in which arriving home was a lottery of small novelties in the form of damage, we began to lay the foundations of an unequal idyll: I was dying of love for her and she listened to me whenever she felt like it. And that made me love her even more. Because that's how life, in general, and love, in particular, works.

When she came home from work, she would come out to meet me at the door. She would lie on her back and beg for caresses. After dinner, when I lay down on the couch, he would come and climb on my belly and start kneading me with his front paws.

Some people are always chasing abs of steel. If they are going to adopt a cat, it is more advisable to have some belly, because it is squishy and they can knead it to their heart's content. I forgot to include this vital change in the opening paragraph: I used to have a ripped abs and a sculpted body. No, I'm kidding. I was already very well equipped to have a cat.

Cover of the book 'Días para ser gato' (Days to be a cat).
After a while of kneading, she would lay her two front paws down and fall asleep on my chest while purring. I would stroke her chin and crown of her head - cats love to be stroked on the parts they can't lick themselves - and I would be toast. I'd go to bed and, after a while, she'd come in. She used to set up in one of the corners. She would spend half the night there.

Sometimes she would go on a night excursion where she didn't take into account that there was someone else in the bed. Other times, he would get out and start banging his paw on the closet door, insistently asking me to open it for him. She would go in and lie there asleep until dawn.

In the mornings, she would watch me in the shower. Afterwards, she would accompany me to watch me serve her food. Before I left the house, she would stand in the corner waiting for the treats. When I closed the door, she would give me that face that only cats know how to make and with which I didn't know if she was telling me that I had the courage to leave her alone all day or if, in reality, she was about to make a fist, bend her elbow and bring her arm inwards, while saying "Here, finally alone!

That, the loneliness, was the only reason I was considering adopting another cat. I travel quite a bit for work - sometimes a whole week - and although I am fortunate to have very good friends who came over daily and even stayed over, I was overwhelmed at the thought of all the time Mia spent alone.

For a long time, the supposed inconvenience of bringing another cat into the house outweighed it. I was terrified of Mia's reaction. A moderately happy cat, master of her space, adapted to her routines... the queen of the house, indeed.

ZPY6MH4QSA4VTULE6S4CT65PZ4.jpg

Tuna rests under the blanket.
We were already made for each other. We often acted out that typical scene of a person reading on the couch on a Sunday afternoon, with the cat sleeping at her feet in a ball. All we lacked was a fireplace.

For three years I kept repeating the phrase "No other cat in my house" to everyone who asked me if I wasn't going to adopt a brother or sister for Mía. Perhaps because I had already demonstrated the volatility of my word, I perceived a certain ironic smile when they listened to me. The most direct was my friend Bilbo, who always said, "You start with one..." (Bilbo, by the way, has a brother named Frodo. It's not a fact that has anything to do with cats, but it's funny).

All the people who shared their lives with cats told me about the benefits of having (at least) two of them, about the company they kept, how much they played, how when you go on a trip they are not so lonely.... It reminded me of my last moments of resistance before adopting Mia. I kept saying no with my mouth, but my subconscious already knew when and how. Another thing is that I refused to recognize it. But because I had one, I was already clear about the name.

Tuna scans his domain.
The trips were increasing. And the influence of cats is inexorable. My environment was divided between those who saw it clearly and those who thought it was a bit crazy. My friend Barbara and my televeterinarian Vero insisted that I should do it. My mother told me not to even think about it. I think the poor thing could see me living with eighty cats. I changed my mind depending on the day: some days, I was determined; others, I backed out and said no way. I would think about what a drag it would be to clean two sandboxes, carry two carriers, buy two types of food, endure the adaptation period, the risk of getting a terrorist cat, the neutering.... But then I saw Mia's little face every time I closed the door of the house with the suitcase in my hand and I thought that maybe it wasn't so bad to give her a little company. In a sort of mental funnel, all my worries were reduced to one: won't I destroy the poor thing's existence?

But life is about moving forward. When we have a situation moderately under control, we tend to complicate ourselves (understand that we are talking about adopting another cat and that it is taken for granted that there are other much more interesting ways to complicate life and also to complicate it unintentionally). Otherwise, it would all be very boring.

Almost four years after Mia's arrival, I started looking for a sibling for her.

When the little Tuna crossed the door of the house, I remembered Hemingway's phrase: "A single cat leads to another cat".

The three of us were about to start a new life.

HERE: https://elpais.com/elpais/2022/04/25/animalesycia/1650887548_928221.html

Interesting eye colour on the lower cat .

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

As a native English speaker , xD , I'd say "It is also expensive". 

Unfortunately, we are non-native English speakers. Therefore, it can only be answered by e.g. @Dave-H. I think basically both is ok. For example:

This is really expensive. And, that is expensive, too.

On 9/2/2022 at 6:47 PM, AstroSkipper said:

But, that's not enough. Errors have to be eliminated. As you know, I don't like errors. :)

Because you guys know and love me (I hope so, anyway) you all read through my errors; but that doesn't mean I'm not embarrassed when reading them. I'll attempt to correct them, but, sadly, I only see them when somebody replies to my posting (in their replies). Sorry, I just don't see them when writing and I don't know why.

Do you know how red faced I'm am? Hopefully not, that would mean my webcam was left on, and that would also mean you caught me singing and dancing with the hair brush in my living room ... was that TIMI :o

For just a second I wanted to fix the errors I made in postings here, and then I was like, "give me a break, they already know you're nuts" ...... so kidding, or am I ....

A good man I looked up to in my life never took himself too seriously; and I don't either.

I'm not talking crap, I'm actually thinking about him as I write this and people in my life served (as both) and good example and bad example - both are important and should be cherished. He was both in a strange way, nonetheless, but he has passed away along with others that left an impression on me we hope to leave a good impression on others, and like people writings, I can look past and respect people that are able to read through typos and errors, when I see people correcting others, I sort of feel (to myself) did you correct them to only make yourself feel better and *I'm more intelligent*.

Arrogance serves little to help others. Sorry, but appears that way sometimes to me, as I've never claimed to be anything (even close) to perfect and (sometimes) there is sincerity in postings as left raw.

Just saying is all ... But, either way, all is well.

Edited by XPerceniol