how install or use win98 on modern laptops and how can i use NTFS disks?

Joaquim

The 5V over-voltage protection diode would short if 12V were applied - a reversed ATX 4 pin power plug. It happened to me once and lucky providing 5V instead of 12V to the video card has no consequence but I ruined a DVD burner. When I witnessed opened HDDs the heads are touching the platter and yes the heads are parked near the center of the platter. When platter is spinning they are said to glide on a cushion of air. My USB3.0 to SATA device shows in device manager as a USB3.0 disk drive which is the adapter's description. If using my eSATA adapter then the hard drive's manufacturers description is shown in the disk drives section. I will be a little while before trying out The Spear or Wolf3D so I will not be of assistance just yet.

3 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

. When I witnessed opened HDDs the heads are touching the platter and yes the heads are parked near the center of the platter. 

As said, only very old hard disks used a parking zone on the platter, now (and since many years) they use parking ramps instead:

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/stiction

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/loadunload-ramp

As an example on this page you can see the parking ramp that modern hard disks use, and an old disk with CSS (a Quantum Fireballl 12 GB in capacity):

https://aesonlabs.ca/blogs/what-is-inside-a-hard-drive-complete-stripdown/

jaclaz

Joaquim, you can find instructions here. But the version offered on that page may not be the newest. The link under the title word **ALPHA** may provide a newer version.

The file VDMS.INI contains settings. Many games work without changing anything. But it may help to remember to use mpu-401 midi, at port 330.

What Video Card do you have? What driver are you using? It seems some Video Cards cause a black screen.

I've attached the open source fork(s) for GW. You can try them. But I haven't taken the time to get figure out how to get music working with them. I think they are hard coded to a specific port. I can't remember which one. But there are only so many it could be.

You could also try wolfdosmpu. It is for both Wolf and Sod. Wolfmidi is also suggested, as it converts music to general midi. But more importantly, it might cure the black screen issue. 

4gw.zip

Edited by awkduck

On 7/25/2022 at 9:51 PM, Joaquim said:

video card ATI Radeon X600 64MB's.

thank you so much for that link.

awkduck my CPU is 1.8GBz.. do i need a CPU patch for older DOS games?

You are welcome. I hope it/they might be useful to other users, as well.

For the sake of clarity, on the "Other Forum" they are suggesting that you "Throttle" the CPU down. I'm sure you understood what they meant. But since people here may not have read your thread "over there", I though it would help to clear things up "here". Most people "here" would assume you mean the Windows 9x CPU patch. Which is completely different than slowing your CPU down "Temporarily" to troubleshoot/play a game.

Some "Older" Dos games "do" need a speed tweak, of some kind. I do "not" think Wolf/Sod should require it. If you can run the games in "pure" Dos, even if without sound, then likely speed should not be an issue; in Windows either. But, likely some unique situation(s) exist. Windows adds another layer of complexity, to the situation. Perhaps certain video drivers suddenly support Windows Dos environments better, when the CPU is limited.

I apologize for not being more familiar with the "Black Screen" issue you are having. It is highly likely some other user would know more than I. But I have some ideas you could try.

It probably won't help, but it has long been suggested to reduce video acceleration, then test if video problems persists. Who am I to argue with many years of trouble-shooters? Just remember to re-enable full acceleration, if it doesn't work.

It might not be a bad idea to keep different versions of your video card driver. I seem to remember countless times people needed to upgrade/downgrade their video drivers, to fix various applications, features, and games.

It may seem silly, but you could try temporarily installing the VBEMP driver. I've had good luck with the 2010.06.01 version (\VBE9X\UNI\vbemp.inf). On some of my video cards, the newer versions have caused garbled fullsceen Dos windows. But they may work fine in your system. If the black screen issue goes away, then you have "mostly" narrowed the issue down to the video card driver. You could reinstall the correct video driver, and start directing your attention on tweaking that specific device.

Edited by awkduck
Additional clarity

The sod4gw.exe works fine. But video driver not changed. The downloads links aren't working. 

At least i can play the game. Thanks.

Theres the same type file for Jazz game? I must patch it for execute the game. I belive that is about CPU speed.

Moderator: please change the topic title for: "how use windows 98 on modern computers?"

Thanks for all

Edited by Joaquim

7 hours ago, Joaquim said:

The sod4gw.exe works fine. But video driver not changed. The downloads links aren't working. 

At least i can play the game. Thanks.

If you mean the links for VBEMP, try the middle [?] link. The first ones are dead.

Try these command line arguments first.

For audio you can try "sod4gw.exe nopro", "sod4gw.exe nosb", "sod4gw.exe nopro nosb", and "sod4gw.exe noal".

For your original Wolf/Sod video issue, you can try "wolf3d.exe comp", "wolf3d nocomp", and "wolf3d hiddencard".

If any of these fix the video issue, you can try the audio arguments with it. Example:"wolf3d.exe nopro comp"

Edited by awkduck

There is no generic AC97/HDA sound driver for pure DOS, more info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dosgaming/comments/mfq8ww/why_hasnt_anyone_created_a_dosbased_soundblaster/

http://www.georgpotthast.de/dossound/ (note how it only supports some chips like VIA ones)

https://github.com/volkertb/JUDAS (a library, not a driver, still pretty cool)

Most notable DOS software that has its own AC97/HDA driver is MPXPLAY, an audio player.

There is WDMSound for Win9x but it's incomplete and buggy, not very useful.

Joaquim, wolf4gw does not always automatically enable sound, when detected. You need to change the settings in the "Game's" sound options.

If soundblaster is not detected, you may not be running VDMSound correctly.

Some "Extra" notes on VMDSound:

1. From the "Same" commandline window that you run "dosdrv.bat", you need to change directory to where you have "wolf4gw.exe".

Then run wolf4gw. Otherwise soundblaster may not be detected.

2. You can unload VDMSound by running vxdsboom.exe.

3. The "Tip of the Day" error, when running dosdrv.bat, can be fixed in the registry.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\VDMSound]
"NextTip"=dword:00000000
"TipsFile"="C:\\Program Files\\VDMSound\\VDMSound.tips"
"ShowTips"=dword:00000000

You can either create a .reg file with the above in it (and double click it), or add the contents manually with regedit.

4. The reason wolf4gw may be working for you, may have to do with conventional memory. Original Wolf3d and Wolfdosmpu both require that you have enough conventional memory. Wolf4gw does not. I believe wolf4gw also supports vesa modes, that the original Wolf3d does not. This is more likely the reason it works for you. If VBEMP fixes the black screen issue, with the  original Wolf3d, then your ATI driver may not be supporting the needed modes. I think someone has mentioned that to you before, in another thread. An older or newer ATI driver may fix that issue, since VBEMP does not support "3D Acceleration".

2 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

There is no generic AC97/HDA sound driver for pure DOS, more info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dosgaming/comments/mfq8ww/why_hasnt_anyone_created_a_dosbased_soundblaster/

http://www.georgpotthast.de/dossound/ (note how it only supports some chips like VIA ones)

https://github.com/volkertb/JUDAS (a library, not a driver, still pretty cool)

Most notable DOS software that has its own AC97/HDA driver is MPXPLAY, an audio player.

There is WDMSound for Win9x but it's incomplete and buggy, not very useful.

If someone could write a more "hardware direct" and "non CPU emulated" win32 dosbox, then HxDos 2.17+ (Ruslan Starodubov) would be a possible option. It would be a nice project, without the interest of using it with HxDos 2.17+. Just not architecture portable.